Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am a newbie so don't flame with CHECK THE FAQ!!

anwhoo.... 92 SE-R bought used last month.. the rear suspension creaks when i drive..i.e. when weight tranfers, front 2 back, side 2 side and when i get in and out of the car.

i can push on it sideways next to the gas cap and here it creak a little...

is this time to re-bush or new shocks/springs?

also have some chatter bumping from front passenger side at low speeds on uneven pavement and when car is cold and pulling out of driveway in a.m.

can you guys help a newbie out???

:(

:(

·
1.6 Turbo Power
718 Posts
i have that problem too, but not only when its cold and mine is near the front driver side. check the B14 section to find out more. some said it was the jounce bumpers.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The creak you are talking about is probable the gasket between the strut and car. Nissan calls it the thrust seat part # 54329-50Y00. When I put agx's on, I didn't replace this gasket, it creaked like crazy, a month later I replaced it and haven't had any problems since.
I don't know about the chatter, It could be a wheel bearing or a cv joint.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jounce Bumpers

'Jounce' bumpers are the rubber pieces that prevent the shock/strut from bottoming out. I'm used to hearing them call bump stops. Regardless of the term, it the little rubber bushing-type piece that slides down the strut rod to cushion excessive downward movement.

On my B14, the bumper & the boot come as one piece. I had to cut about 20mm out of the bumper when I lowered it, so now mine are 2 separate pieces.

Hope this helps...

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that makes sense about the seals... how do i go about fixing this? how hard is it to fix and should i just wait until i DO get my KYBs (about 1 year away)

brian

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BigB said:
that makes sense about the seals... how do i go about fixing this? how hard is it to fix and should i just wait until i DO get my KYBs (about 1 year away)
The gasket replacement is a piece of cake - and they are not very expensive either - I think less than $20 for all four corners from Nissan. You can almost do it with the struts still on the car if you are VERY careful. All you need to do is take the 3 perimeter nuts off the strut mount (2 at the rear) NOT THE CENTER NUT, and lower the suspension down while it's still on the car. Slip the new gasket over the bolt, jack everything back into place. Voila - new gaskets and hopefully no creaking.

I know I couldn't tolerate the creaking for a year without trying something...

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks, i appreciate the knowledge... BTW are on you on the GA SE-R mailing list?

brian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts