Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Evil Moderator
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK. I was thinking about saving up for a 350Z. It's what I've wanted for a while, but then I did some browsing and came across an extremely clean 1999 Porsche 911 with 50,000 miles on it. I was thinking no way, but it has a full warranty to 100,000 miles with oil changes included and it's only 35,000. Thats what a new track model 350 costs. I don't really see the down side to it. Yes, it's just a Carrera, its not an S model or a Turbo, but hey. Just to own a nice car that is absolutely beautiful.........

David

·
Will work for beer
2,696 Posts
does full warranty include wear items like brake pads and rotors and tires?

you can barely afford to drive the maxima and feed two kids.... there's no way in hell you're gonna be able to afford to drive, insure, and maintain a porsche.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Yep,Porsche are beautiful,but the maintainance will be high,high performance vehicle=high performance dollars. :thumbup:

·
Registered
941 Posts
Personally, I'm over the Eurotrash-snob-thingy. I no longer drool over Porsches, am repulsed by ever-recallable-Audis, never cared much for BMWs and laugh when I see reports that legendary Mercedes Benz has the initial quality of a Chevy. :loser:

Porsches are beautiful but if you really research them, they don't compare well against the 350Z, RX-7 or S2000. They are horrendously over-priced and, as stated above, the upkeep is frightful.

A friend of a friend of mine owns an 911 ... don't know which model, don't know which year (I think late 90s) and he is obsessed with the thing. Problem is, he knows little about cars and I think the highly-touted local shop gave him some really bad advice. :rolleyes:

They told him to never shift below 4,000 RPMs ... or something to that effect. OK, so after he's owned the car (a weekend toy) for a year or two, it's guzzling oil. Compression was down and this same shop recommends a rebuild. The cost was just under $10,000 if memory serves. :eek:

The car was gone for a while and ever since he got it back, the thing won't idle and now has a stalling problem.

Now a lot of the problems may be due to a lousy shop and the car's owner, but I'll take an S2000, thank you very much. ;)

·
Registered
941 Posts
The Lotus Elise is an awesome little car, no doubt, but I'd love it even more if it were made by Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Mitsubishi or some other car company with a little more attention to durability. ;)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Bror Jace said:
The Lotus Elise is an awesome little car, no doubt, but I'd love it even more if it were made by Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Mitsubishi or some other car company with a little more attention to durability. ;)

the motor is toyota, thats all that matters anyway

·
Mofo fo life
2,103 Posts
the S2000 has the same problems as the porsche does. Highly over rated motor, which is almost impossible to mod and not have it blow up on you. I would tend to think that a small cottage industry company ( such as lotus) would pay attention to every little detail, including durability. They no longer use the rover K-series motors which were great but not the best, and now with the 2ZZ-1.8 in there the new Lotus elise 111R is better than most cars out there.

Tell me now how the Porsche Gt3 doesnt do well against a Z car, RX-7 and S2000. A carrera 4s too? How about the 911 turbo, and GT2??? Even the Boxter and Boxter S handle better, have better fit and finish and motors on par with the cars you prefer. Just because they are more expensive to keep up doesnt make them suck. Well maybe if you cant afford them. In bang for the buck porsche loses, but I bet if you had one you'd feel quit a bit different

Just becuase it isnt all japanese doesnt mean its not built like one.

·
Will work for beer
2,696 Posts
Flying V said:
Tell me now how the Porsche Gt3 doesnt do well against a Z car, RX-7 and S2000. A carrera 4s too? How about the 911 turbo, and GT2??? Even the Boxter and Boxter S handle better, have better fit and finish and motors on par with the cars you prefer. Just because they are more expensive to keep up doesnt make them suck. Well maybe if you cant afford them. In bang for the buck porsche loses, but I bet if you had one you'd feel quit a bit different

Just becuase it isnt all japanese doesnt mean its not built like one.

this is beside the point, but look at overall cost of ownership.
Porsche will at least twice as much to buy, run, and maintain (starting withthe Boxter) as any of the Japanese cars mentioned up there..

yet they have roughly the same track performance as the S2000 and 350Z. (Within a couple tenths per lap.) In bang for the buck, yeah the porsche loses BIGTIME.
wanna go fast for cheap? buy a Japanese sports car. Wanna go REALLY fast and pay a lot every time you do? buy Italian or German. that's simply the rules.

Lotus Elise is too new to say anything about it on reliability. the Toyota engine is a dream for those cars, but we'll see about the rest of the car. So far everyone I've talked at the track to that owns one says they're awesome cars and no reliability issues.

·
Registered
195 Posts
You know matt, the people who can buy a porsche and afford the note / insurance more than likely have the money not to care about how much upkeep costs.

We almost got a 911, but my dad liked the TT better; and as upkeep goes on the Audi it's cheap cuz it's NEVER been in for anything but regular maintnence, and it's all free under warranty - minus brake pads

·
Will work for beer
2,696 Posts
When you're planning a track car, you take those things into account.

I'm not going to pay $350 a set for brake pads on a Porsche when I can pay $105 a set of the ones on my Wilwoods or $120 a set for 350Z pads.

If I could afford a Porsche, I got there because I managed my money properly and didn't throw it away on things that I could save elsewhere. :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
There is a big difference between being able to buy something and being able to own something. I can buy a corvette, but can I afford to do the uipkeep and maintanence, let alone mod? My dream car would be the veilside skyline, 0-60 in 2.6, 160 in 14 seconds. ( I think ) Nasty beast...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts