Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the deal, I was chatting with a co-worker about IC's and ways to increase thier effectiveness. He brought up the no-so-new idea of a 1 shot ice bathed IC in a place I hadent thought of..replaceing the passenger seat. That got me thinking(and that is dangerous). Take out the passenger seat put the IC there and re-route all of the HVAC ducts to blow only through the IC...of course with the air-conditioning on. Dont flame me for thinking this up.. I would never try it. I am just wondering it the theory is sound. Am I crazy? Nuts?

·
You get what you pay for.
156 Posts
With a turbo system you want the piping to be as short, and with as little bends as possible to get the utlimate flow. They already make ICs that do that sort of thing with the ICE, but they are not ideal for daily driven cars. Not unless you want to change out the Ice left and right.

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know about the one shot ice systems(I mentioned that in my first post), I know that you want the pipes to be as short as possible, and I also thought I had seen a couple of one shot ice system mounted in the trunk of cars. Anyway, like I said I was just wondering about the theory of an AC/IC cooling system.

V

·
0 Posts
I am not sure I get every thing you are saying because your english and grammer is very garbled. I don't intend to be mean.
The piping lenght would be a huge problem like pissh says. The pressure drop would be insurmountable. The turbo would have to blow so hard that I really think the increase in intake charge temp would nearly cancel the benifits of the colder IC. Not to mention the increadable amount of time the pipes would take to recharge after a shift.
As for using the AC....I can't imagine finding space to route ac vents in the engine bay? Plus the load on the motor with AC compressor on.
Nitrous express came up with the right idea. Have you seen the intercooler no2 spray kit? Its so cool. Instead of spraying the juice into the motor you spray the IC to make it cold. Dynos made some crazy 30hp gains on a turbo civic. I think though it would change your A/F ratio enought that you would have to compinsate in your fuel maps any way so why not just spray right into the motor?

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for my english.

Thanks for the info, like I said i was just curious about the theory.

I never said anything about running HVAC ducting under the hood. In that idea, the IC would be in place of the passenger seat(or in that general area).

Compressor strain - If the theory were valid, the hope is that the cooler temps would make up for the hp loss(due to the compressor) and then some.

Thanks for the input guys :)

V

·
0 Posts
Werd. I spend most of my free time daydreaming about cars and driving. I have come up with some pretty crazy stuff in my head!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
28 Posts
ive seen a water-to-air intercooler on a g60 that had a seperate cooling system rather than ice. the intercooler piping was normal but he had the coolant running to a seperate radiator mounted under his rear bumper w/ an 8"fan. whole whole kit ran off an independant electric water pump a small resivoir of water which had a quick drain on it. it looked pretty efficent and on race days a quick switch to ice water or alcohol would make a big difference.
shawn
"buy my sentra":D

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
Pressure drop over the long run of tubing won't be much. Turbo lag will, though.

The A/C thing has been done on a turbo RX-7. From a thermodynamics standpoint, it's still a net loss. It takes engine power to run the A/C unit to cool the intercooler. Most people REMOVE the drag of the A/C unit.

The air-to-liquid intercooler is nothing magic. It just provides flexibility in locating the first intercooler stage and can use a smaller unit. The total area must remain the same as a single-stage air-to-air intercooler for a given BTU removal by the final stage.

The liquid coolant is best left to pure water as it has the highest heat capacity of common liquids. Alcohol has a significantly lower boiling point than water and would require a much higher system pressure to stay liquid; vapor sucks as a coolant medium. Alcohol has a high latent heat (it absorbs a lot of energy when it changes phase from liquid to vapor) but that's only good if you want alcohol as a vapor.

·
All over your face!
2,384 Posts
All i did was re-route my windshield squirter lines to my fmic with a misting head and replace the window washing fluid with cheap ass isopropyl alcohol (70% alcohol 30% water), and Zip tie the line down. Of course the fluid resevoir was thoroughly cleaned. I then removed my winshield wipers. Now when i feel like it needs cooler air, i just spray my intercooler. I took the wipers off because when you want to spray your windshield wipers go on and off with it. Its not like i need them in AZ either. There ya go. Free cheap mod

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
misting head and replace the window washing fluid with cheap ass isopropyl alcohol (70% alcohol 30% water)
You don't like your car? Trying to burn it for an insurance settlement? I applaud your implemetation of the mister, and your choice of coolant is excellent as far as heat absorption, but, Cripes A'Mighty, your safety conscienceness needs a lift. That 30% water does nothing to inhibit isopropanol's flammability, and you're passing those vapors near the engine compartment and the HOT turbine and exhaust plumbing.

·
All over your face!
2,384 Posts
Its not that bad... its mixed in with a ton of water. About 3 parts of water to 1 part of the alcohol.

Plus the other fact is that it would have a hard time reaching the engine bay by the way its mounted. My grill is cut only enough for my intercooler, and then my new radiator takes up the rest of the room blocking off the engine bay like a 900lb goalie in front of the net. Never had a problem in the months that i've been spraying...

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
quote:

misting head and replace the window washing fluid with cheap ass isopropyl alcohol (70% alcohol 30% water)

quote:

About 3 parts of water to 1 part of the alcohol.

Is my math off???

·
All over your face!
2,384 Posts
What i meant was that i add tap water to the alcohol to water it down more than it already is. I wasn't talking about the alcohol itself. 3 parts of tap water to 1 part of the 70% alcohol and 30% water solution.

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ok, thanks for the clarifacation(sp?)

Guys answer me this..
Why do people use the washer nozzels off their car, loseing the ability to wash their winshield like OPIUM3 here. If it were me I would get another set of nozzels, a pump, a res, the hoses and make my own spray system leaving the stock nozzels intact.

Not trying to single you out OPIUM3, you gave your reason why. I am talking about others that I have seen(in parts of the country where they would need it for the winshield).

·
All over your face!
2,384 Posts
For me its all about location location location. In AZ, especially the area where i live, we never get rain. And if we get rain, its hardly any at all. Its not like i need them at all. We're almost at the end of our monsoon season, and i've only needed them once. The other times it rained here i was inside anyways. So thats my reason. And for the water nozzle i stole one from home depot. I put it on the end of the hose i was running so it would give more of a mist, rather than a stream, so i can cover the entire intercooler.

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
About 3 parts of water to 1 part of the alcohol.
You've gone from 70% isopropanol to roughly 18% isopropanol. Why bother? You'll find straight water to be a lot cheaper and almost as effective AND you remove a potential fire hazard.

·
Icy Hot Stunta
2,366 Posts
PatScottAKA99XE said:
Heres the deal, I was chatting with a co-worker about IC's and ways to increase thier effectiveness. He brought up the no-so-new idea of a 1 shot ice bathed IC in a place I hadent thought of..replaceing the passenger seat. That got me thinking(and that is dangerous). Take out the passenger seat put the IC there and re-route all of the HVAC ducts to blow only through the IC...of course with the air-conditioning on. Dont flame me for thinking this up.. I would never try it. I am just wondering it the theory is sound. Am I crazy? Nuts?
Using the AC to cool the IC wont work, it violates the second law of thermodynamics. The energy that the AC takes to remove heat from the air is greater than the power increase you could get from chilling the IC with it.

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Re: Crazy IC idea..

morepower2 said:

Using the AC to cool the IC wont work, it violates the second law of thermodynamics. The energy that the AC takes to remove heat from the air is greater than the power increase you could get from chilling the IC with it.
Thank you Mike, thats is exactly the type of answer I was looking for.

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
Re: Re: Crazy IC idea..

morepower2 said:

But aren't we talking about two different systems? Not to argue with you... I just find something funny about that comment. The drain on the power from the AC is the same no matter how much the power of the motor is isn't it? So if you increase the power of the motor the AC will just be working to chill the IC instead of Pat's nuts. I see the only problem as the length of pipe you have to use to route everything as well as where would you put the IC...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts