Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a b13 (1.6L) beater, and it's a 5spd with 125K. :newbie:

The car's CEL comes on & off, and since it's OBD-1, my scangauge-II is useless. Now, here's the scoop...If I granny-drive her (@55-65mph) to save gas, the CEL lights up....If I abuse/rider her hard, the CEL goes away.

I have noticed that if I drop her into 3rd @ 65-75mph and make her scream, and then slap her into 4th, then 5th...she gets stops bitching @ me with the CEL...Obviously, this is not how I want to treat her, since I need to save gas on my 90 mile commute round trip.

Can anyone shed the light (no pun intended) on this peculair issue.

Backgrounder
FYI...the car was driven only 2000 miles between July'2004 & Aug'2008, coz I saw the title & last oil change reciept, next oil change sticker and had to clean out the airbox full of some squirrel's stash of nuts.

What have I done so far?
- changed spark plugs
- changed ignition wires
- changed distributor
- reconnected a detached hose from the charcoal canister
- changed the engine oil

Now if only I could figure out how to pull the codes (without paying $100 labor charge)

·
Registered
734 Posts
pulling codes on the b13 is so easy. run a search here and you will get loads of info.

i will tell you that your ECU is behind the kick panel just to the right of your gas pedal.
turn your key on and turn the dial on the ECU and watch your CEL blink.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LoL!...this evening I removed the panel below the steering column, since I had seen a silver box when trying to solve my cruise control problem. after 3 mins of unscrewing, I found out it was not the computer (i.e. had no dial)...:mad:

So far my research indicates that the ECU might be in one of two places

1.) behind the kick panel just to the right of your gas pedal.

2.) somewhere under the cover of the center console plastic

if only there was a coded way of knowing where it is...thanks anyways :thumbup: I will try again tomorrow.

·
Certified Ghetto Mechanic
390 Posts
get the manual from phatg20 dot net and familiarize yourself with the car, the ecu is located on the floor between where your feet and the front passengers feet go, it has a sticker on it covereing a screw which you can turn to get the CEL to blink out the codes for you on the dash.

Get the manual and read the pertinent sections and/or search more on here this has been gone over many times.

Congrats on your buy and hope you can learn a lot with that car, I did and still am.

D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
get the manual from phatg20 dot net and familiarize yourself with the car
Yes Sir!, that I will do...but here's the good news :woowoo:

I passed MA emmisions....WITH A LIGHTED CEL, ......well, actually passed safety...:fluffy:

so I warm her up real good, and bitch slapped her into 3rd & 4th @ 75mph during my lunch hour...off!, goes the CEL, and quick exit of I-95 into an emmisions shop with a BIG GRIN for a quickie test before the CEL comes back...and guess what... OBD-1 cars no longer get emmision tested, not even the tail-pipe/dyno test. I was like..."really? u sure?"

While the tester is moving my b13 into the bay, the CEL comes back on, so I go..."Oh sh*t, u gonna fail me now?", he's like "naah!, u good... I'm just doing the safety, no emmissions for u...ever!!" ...I was like....YEAH BABY!!

so, for the sake of better fuel econ, should I let this CEL bother me? or are there emmisions crap that I can pull out and get more POW!!AHH!! while still getting good fuel economy?

·
Registered
734 Posts
i just realized you haven't told us what year b13 you have.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just realized you haven't told us what year b13 you have.
it's a 1994 B13 coupe XE.

BTW, I found the ecu, right where u told me. I believe I got 2 codes

11 --> Crank Angle Sensor/Camshaft Position Sensor.

32 --> EGR Function.

I will attempt to clean the EGR first, and hope that code 11 is being triggered code 32. so clearing code 32, will negate conditions that lead to code 11....unless someone has found out that they are not inter-related and can shed additional light/ educate me.

·
Registered
734 Posts
usually when you have more than one code, you want to clear the first code. some times one code will trigger the other, but in this case i dont think they are related in any way.

since you have a 94, the crank angel sensor is on the front of the transmission bell housing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
since you have a 94, the crank angel sensor is on the front of the transmission bell housing.

Thank you sir...your pointer was well recieved, and problem was fixed promptly by unplugging, cleaning and re-attaching the sensor.

I cleaned the egr valve using seafoam, thinking it was blocked by carbon residue,... nothing..cel still came back.

Finally I located the EGR tubing, traced it all the way and guess what, the plastic tubing going under the EGR had burned off halfway and was leaking. I fixed it with a tube I always carry for whatever, and "puff"....off went the CEL!!! :fluffy:

beater cost: $800
beater tune-up: $100
beater repair: $0 <---- thanks to this site
beater savings on gas as of week #1: $80 (12 weeks to break even) :woowoo:

·
Registered
41 Posts
from what you described for the conditions of the light coming on, it is the egr valve. at low speeds the egr opens to allow unburned exhaust back into the intake to cool the intake charge and recycle unburned fuel, if you put the hammer down, the egr is closed, since there is no need for economy with your foot on the floor. if you are driving and you notice the car stalls or shuts off intermittently, then you may have a crank,cam posi sensor proble. for now, clean the egr and disconnect the battery for 30-45 seconds to clear the codes, and you should be fine

1 - 10 of 10 Posts