Nissan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just bought a 95 SE, there is rust on the frame but it is still solid and looks like it is just surface rust (the inside of the frame is clean) and not frame rot? do i really need to worry about this further? i like in weestern canada and rust is a part of our lives.

the car has 213 000km, i bought it from the original owner and it was dealer maintained, i opted not to bring it to my mechanic before purchase becuase it seemed like the right purchase from a trust worthy family guy. and it cost 2250 CAD. the engine fires great, runs very quite, and drives smooth.

the only things that concern me, are

1. the check engine light goes on and off, im going to do the ECU diagnosis to see what code comes up.

2. when i start to accelerate there is a slight (very slight) ticking, i dont even know if you would call it that, but it doesnt tick when the engine is idleing or if i rev it.

3. there seems to be a swishing (gurgling)noise sometimes, this worries me. could this be a head gasket?

Overall it is a very smooth car, engine is very quite and smooth other then the above things.

Please help me be at ease with my purchase

·
3,553 Posts
Take a small hammer and bang on every piece of the frame you can reach in the rear. Frame rust is a horrific experience and sadly enough, it's getting more and more common to see 90's Pathfinders with the rear axle nearly falling out of the vehicle from the frame rusting away.

Have you done ANY work on it yet? Gurgling noises may be the cooling system simply needing to be burped or topped off. Ticking could be lifters or a small exhaust leak, very common problems. I wouldn't worry about a head gasket unless it starts to smoke and you find milky oil or coolant.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
all of the trucks i was looking at had this amount of frame rust , also the 4 runners, so if i take a hammer do i hit softly and listen to see if it sounds solid or what???? the guy took really good care of her, unfortunatly in ALberta canada, almost all of these older cars have rust.
At what point should i be worried about it? what are the real sign of rotting???

i did a service on her, new battery, air filter, oil change. but thats it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
'2. when i start to accelerate there is a slight (very slight) ticking, i dont even know if you would call it that, but it doesnt tick when the engine is idleing or if i rev it.'

Ticking durinng acclearation could be many things (exhaust manifold leak, pinging- pre-ignition due to combustion chamber depsoits , too low octane gas, etc.). I had the same ticking on my 97 pathy only during acceleration. Did a full tune up ( fuel filter, plugs, cap, rotor) and added a bottle of Redline Complete Fuel System Cleaner to gas tank and it seems to have cleared the ticking problem on acceleration. I think my problem was pinging due to deposits in combustion chamber. My 'fix' was pretty cheap so you could try first and go on from there...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ticking Pathfinder

Just about every single older Pathfinder has exhaust manifold leak! If that is what it is, don't worry about it, mine has been "ticking" for years.

David

'2. when i start to accelerate there is a slight (very slight) ticking, i dont even know if you would call it that, but it doesnt tick when the engine is idleing or if i rev it.'

Ticking durinng acclearation could be many things (exhaust manifold leak, pinging- pre-ignition due to combustion chamber depsoits , too low octane gas, etc.). I had the same ticking on my 97 pathy only during acceleration. Did a full tune up ( fuel filter, plugs, cap, rotor) and added a bottle of Redline Complete Fuel System Cleaner to gas tank and it seems to have cleared the ticking problem on acceleration. I think my problem was pinging due to deposits in combustion chamber. My 'fix' was pretty cheap so you could try first and go on from there...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts