Nissan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much would it cost to port and polish the GA16DE and does n-e-one know a good place to do it in South Cali? hopefully in LA county area.

·
Former SuperMod
745 Posts
Not sure on HP gains, but yes I believe other mods would be affected. Since you mentioned the CAI, I can only imagine that a smoother inlet from port-matching the opening for the intake manifold to the throtle body would help airflow. Not sure what you can do specifically to the CAI piping though, if anything (not an expert on PnP). The same can be done for the exhaust manifold and header. Port and polishing appears to help overall.

·
Tuner/Mechanic
266 Posts
anything you do to reduce friction in the air passages will help your motor. if not in hp gains, in some other area, like engine life, oil/fuel consumption, etc. anyway, i'm in the process of p/p my intake/exhaust manifold and head from my ga. as soon as i get some figures, i'll let you all know. i'm expecting about 6-10 hp gain with my exhaust, header, intake, etc...

·
Former SuperMod
745 Posts
Hey man, that sounds great! Glad to hear you are partaking on a little motorwork. Plz fill us in on your PnP adventures... good luck! :)

·
Former SuperMod
745 Posts
Also, so I stay with the topic, about how much is this PnP costing you? Are you doing it yourself OR have you taken it somewhere? If youself, what tools are necessary and such? I'm sure you are one of a handful of people who have attempted this task on the GA motor. You can most certainly enlighten a lot of folks here, including me. :D Again, best of luck!

·
Tuner/Mechanic
266 Posts
for the port matching, i'm using a die grinder and an assortment of various size and shaped metal cutting tools. for the valve's, i'm using an automated drill press for precise cutting (i found one at an auction for 50 bux, the best investment i've ever made!!!) this maching is also used for doing a 30 degree back cut on the valves themselves. seriously though, if you can get a stock head from a 95-newer ga for a decent price (i got mine from mauibluebird for free, the whole engine actually. he just wanted it gone) just mess around with it, the worst you can do is improve flow just a little, if not tremendously. its not hard to do yourself. study the sentra.net tech section on engines, there are many pictures and descriptions that will help oh so much, thanks to mike kojima.

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
LexKyB13 said:
for the port matching, i'm using a die grinder and an assortment of various size and shaped metal cutting tools. for the valve's, i'm using an automated drill press for precise cutting (i found one at an auction for 50 bux, the best investment i've ever made!!!) this maching is also used for doing a 30 degree back cut on the valves themselves. seriously though, if you can get a stock head from a 95-newer ga for a decent price (i got mine from mauibluebird for free, the whole engine actually. he just wanted it gone) just mess around with it, the worst you can do is improve flow just a little, if not tremendously. its not hard to do yourself. study the sentra.net tech section on engines, there are many pictures and descriptions that will help oh so much, thanks to mike kojima.
Is this just a drill press or a milling machine you're using on the valves? If it's a drill press how do you plan on maintaining the concentricity of the valve? Just curious, not flaming you or anything.

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
when we port and polish do we need like new pistons and things like that?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts