Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 93 HB 4x4 with the KA24e overheated one day and since then I have tried to figure out what is causing overheating. I thought it was the water pump because when i drove the engine it was squealing implying a bad bearing on the water pump. The truck always made a constant quiet squeal like many cars do, but it didn't get worse and this squealing had only stared after I replaced the alt. This more intense sealing happened when the truck was driving, especially when I was accelerating. I also had no pressure in my radiator hoses so that also lead me to believe the water pump was not working properly and that was causing my engine to overheat. Today me and my older brother changed the water pump and found that the lower radiator hose was connected to the thermostat and the upper one went into the engine block. This confused us and we were wondering if this configuration of the hoses was normal for the ka24e? We also took out the thermostat and put it in hot water to see if it was working, it moved a bit, but not much. Could the thermostat also be causing my overheating?

·
Super Moderator
3,202 Posts
My 93 HB 4x4 with the KA24e overheated one day and since then I have tried to figure out what is causing overheating. I thought it was the water pump because when i drove the engine it was squealing implying a bad bearing on the water pump. The truck always made a constant quiet squeal like many cars do, but it didn't get worse and this squealing had only stared after I replaced the alt. This more intense sealing happened when the truck was driving, especially when I was accelerating. I also had no pressure in my radiator hoses so that also lead me to believe the water pump was not working properly and that was causing my engine to overheat. Today me and my older brother changed the water pump and found that the lower radiator hose was connected to the thermostat and the upper one went into the engine block. This confused us and we were wondering if this configuration of the hoses was normal for the ka24e? We also took out the thermostat and put it in hot water to see if it was working, it moved a bit, but not much. Could the thermostat also be causing my overheating?
most definitely, the thermostat can cause overheating. if its not opening up, its not allowing the fluid cooled by the radiator to circulate. replace it pronto - hopefully you didnt screw up the head gasket when the engine overheated the first time.
is your oil still looking like oil or does it look like chocolate milk?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also, is it normal on this truck for the lower radiator hose to go to the thermostat and the upper one to go to the engine block?

·
Registered
206 Posts
The top hose goes to the block and the bottom hose should go to the intake of the water pump (where the thermostat is). The thermostat should open up when the water gets to like 170 deg F. Basically as soon as bubbles start forming on the bottom of the pot the thermostat should begin to open wide.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you all for the input. I replaced the thermostat and water pump so it seems to be running fine now.

thanks guys!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts