Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I searched the forums and found some stuff kind of related but I'm still confused. Little bit of history: a couple of months ago my car started doing this thing where it would heat up to the middle of the temp gauge, stay put for a bit and then heat up to the top of the gauge and then come back down to the middle and remain there as long as I drove. Because of this problem I replaced the thermostat and it seemed to work fine for a week or two but then it started doing the same thing again and was also losing coolant. I took it into the shop and found out there was HC in my coolant which indicated a blown head gasket. Fast forward.
I replaced my head gasket and after some other difficulties my car is running again. Only problem is, it's up to it's old tricks. I turned it on and let it idle for a while and it heated up to the middle of the gauge, then after a while longer it started moving up the dial so I shut it off. When I turned it off I heard bubbling noises from the main radiator tube; it sounded like coolant was moving all over the place. When these noises subsided(it only took like 30sec) I turned the car on again and the temperature was back to normal. I am at a total loss about what to do.

·
Registered
34 Posts
sounds to me like u have air in ur cooling system. i busted my radiator, when i replaced it and put coolant in and drove around it still overheated. i stopped. let it cool then poured more coolant in on the rad, squeezed the hoses a lil to get it to recirculate. drove home it was fine. put more coolant just in case. check to see if u have air in there u never know. also see if u can get another rad. also u can get redline water cooler or something like that to make ur car run a lil cooler.

·
Registered
185 Posts
You could go and get your anti freeze flushed it might clear up some passage ways and get the air bubbles out. Just an idea. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are all the cooling components on this thing? I'm sick of the stupid problem and might just replace them all. Radiator, water pump, thermostat...anything else?

·
Registered
139 Posts
240newbie said:
What are all the cooling components on this thing? I'm sick of the stupid problem and might just replace them all. Radiator, water pump, thermostat...anything else?
Sometimes faulty radiator caps let air in. You should check that out. They arent too expensive anyways. :)

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,460 Posts
240newbie said:
a couple of months ago my car started doing this thing where it would heat up to the middle of the temp gauge, stay put for a bit and then heat up to the top of the gauge and then come back down to the middle and remain there as long as I drove. Because of this problem I replaced the thermostat and it seemed to work fine for a week or two but then it started doing the same thing again and was also losing coolant. I took it into the shop and found out there was HC in my coolant which indicated a blown head gasket.
If you're still losing coolant, then apparently there's a leak somewhere. Maybe the head gasket replacement job was done incorrectly. Check all the hose clamps. If the hoses are old, you may have a 'pisser' when the temperature goes up.

The 240sx coolant system is notorious for having air pockets that block water flow. The best way to purge the coolant system of air is to first remove the air purge plug by the top hose; fill system with coolant until coolant pours out the hole then install plug; continue filling system until coolant is at the bottom of the radiator fill hole; run motor until coolant raises up to the top of the fill hole. Sometimes jacking up the car several inches helps to purge the air.

Also an OEM thermostat should always be used and make sure the 'steam hole' is facing up when installing. Aftermarket thermostats many times cause problems like you're having.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts