Nissan Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
T32 X-Trail Tekna 1.6DCi Auto
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
So after sitting in a queue of traffic for maybe half an hour or more yesterday I noticed the car nearly overheating. When I managed to pull over to let it cool down, I popped the bonnet to look around. The coolant felt very warm, but not sure the radiator was as warm as I would expect.
When i got home, I checked again and what I did notice though was the large cooling fan sat behind the radiator wasn't spinning like I would expect. Should this be on permanently or does it only come on when needed?
2015 T32 1.6DCi CVT

·
Admin and Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,675 Posts
Hi all,
So after sitting in a queue of traffic for maybe half an hour or more yesterday I noticed the car nearly overheating. When I managed to pull over to let it cool down, I popped the bonnet to look around. The coolant felt very warm, but not sure the radiator was as warm as I would expect.
When i got home, I checked again and what I did notice though was the large cooling fan sat behind the radiator wasn't spinning like I would expect. Should this be on permanently or does it only come on when needed?
2015 T32 1.6DCi CVT
The electric cooling fan comes when needed as dictated by the ECU. To test it, fully warm up the engine and let it idle for some period of time. You should now see the fan cycle on and off; if it's properly operating, then here are items to inspect:
  • - When the engine is fully warmed up and idling, feel the bottom radiator hose; it should be hot; if not, there's a possible restriction in the radiator.
  • - The thermostat may be defective. If you plan to replace it, use only a Nissan OEM thermostat; aftermarket types many times cause problems.
  • - There may be a blown head gasket. Inspect the radiator filler pipe for constant air bubbles showing as an indication.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts