Nissan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lately when I park my '92 XE for any length of time, there will invariably be a puddle of coolant on the ground when I return. I've added water and laid on the ground while it was running to see if it was a cracked hose or the water pump leaking. EDIT: nothing from the block or head gaskets either. Nothing. It's not running hot and doesn't seem to be losing water when I drive it. The only time it has run hot was after parking it all weekend then jumping right in without checking the water - it was low.
So before I take it in, are there any things I could do? Is it possible there's air in the system causing it to "burp"? I remember my dad's old Rabbit doing that back in the day. How do I go about purging air? I know there should be a valve somewhere but I can't find a good illustration online.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably the culprit. I HOPE it's the culprit. Otherwise it's something expensive and I don't know if I can justify dropping much more money into the truck.

The part is $10 at Autozone or $25 to test the existing one at my shop. I think I'll just drop by on my way home and pick up a new one!

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,106 Posts
May also be a pisser hose. After the motor gets hot, a pin hole in one of the hoses starts to either piss out or seep out coolant. After you shut the car off, the coolant continues to leak out slowly until everything cools down.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Lately when I park my '92 XE for any length of time, there will invariably be a puddle of coolant on the ground when I return. I've added water and laid on the ground while it was running to see if it was a cracked hose or the water pump leaking. EDIT: nothing from the block or head gaskets either. Nothing. It's not running hot and doesn't seem to be losing water when I drive it. The only time it has run hot was after parking it all weekend then jumping right in without checking the water - it was low.
So before I take it in, are there any things I could do? Is it possible there's air in the system causing it to "burp"? I remember my dad's old Rabbit doing that back in the day. How do I go about purging air? I know there should be a valve somewhere but I can't find a good illustration online.
Any ideas?
Where under the Pathfinder do you find the puddle?

It's possible your intake manifold has cracked and leaking from there. It's hard to find, unless you get a flashlight and start pointing the light in there. Regarding the valve, I thought my 1995 SE would have one, but it doesn't. So it's a possibility you don't have one either.

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you look hard enough, you will find it.

One day when you can stay home put some cardboard under the truck. Check it every hour or so until you see a wet spot. Look up from the wet spot and go from there. You will find the leak trail. Don't be afraid to remove a splash guard or air cleaner to get a better look.

My HB had a small leak at the upper radiator hose/thermostat. Only way to get a good look was by removing the air intake tube, from there it was very clear.

·
Registered
307 Posts
If all these suggestions have no effect on your problem, I'd recommend: first, to tighten all my clamps on my hoses up, then I'd get the engine up to normal operating temperature then crack the coolant bleeder plug that is located on the driver side near the firewall, it should have some sort of a sticker on it..10mm I think. Anyway, it's probably got air in the system especially where you've been running it low, then adding more coolant periodically. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had similar problem with my T-Bird. A few drops of coolant on the garage floor after it was parked for over 12 to 24 hours. 3 trips to the dealer (still under warranty) and only when I asked them to check the water pump did they find the problem....The water pump! Guess the coolant would seep into the pump chamber and then finally seep out the weep hole onto the floor after it sat for a long time.

Gary

1 - 11 of 11 Posts