Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a coolant leak it appears to be coming from the water pump is this common. What is the best way to deal with this I would ideally like to do it myself.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Smoat said:
I am having a coolant leak it appears to be coming from the water pump is this common. What is the best way to deal with this I would ideally like to do it myself.
I have a feeling it is the water pump is this something that someone with reasonable ability can do.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
most likely it is the pump so go ahead and change it probebly time for a new one adn while your at it make sure all hoses leading too it are in good shape

·
Because Size Matters
1,260 Posts
If your talented you can do it yourself. If your not talented your gonna spend some serious money. I'd recommend getting the FSM. It'll be a great help because your gonna be in for a treat. :(

·
Registered
158 Posts
Pour some water into your radiator and if its the pump it will come out of the weep hole. Replacing the water pump can be a b*tch, and if you do it yourself be prepared for some cut fingers. You're gonna have to remove the passenger side engine mount and jack up the engine to gain access to the pump. Took me and my father about four hours or so to do this. Just don't be intimidated. As for the average shop cost, look to pay around $250.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jharris1 said:
Pour some water into your radiator and if its the pump it will come out of the weep hole. Replacing the water pump can be a b*tch, and if you do it yourself be prepared for some cut fingers. You're gonna have to remove the passenger side engine mount and jack up the engine to gain access to the pump. Took me and my father about four hours or so to do this. Just don't be intimidated. As for the average shop cost, look to pay around $250.
It only leaks when the car is running from what appears to be the area around the pump. The car sat over night and there is no coolant under the car. Is this still an indication for the water pump? I would rather not spend the time if that is not in fact the culprit. THank you for your help.

·
Registered
450 Posts
When coolant comes out the weep hole, it is an indication the pump is going bad.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Catman said:
When coolant comes out the weep hole, it is an indication the pump is going bad.
Exactly. Thats why I said he should pour some water in there and see if it comes out, even while the engine is off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts