Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a small pickup truck, I just need it to haul stuff once and a while and to drive to work occasionally. There is a 1993 HB regular cab 4cy automatic with 123k at a local dealer. He is asking 2600 for it, I am thinking 2k to 2200.
The frame appears solid there is a little rust starting above the rear wheel wells, but the truck is a one owner and is clean, the ac works and it has service records. What are common problems with these trucks? I have only owned manual trans vehicles before and might like the automatic if these are a decent reliable transmission, if they are problematic I wouldn't consider it. i plan on towing a small utility trailer at times ( less than 1200 pounds loaded) There is a little drip from the bellhousing, it is oil and I think its the rear main. Any opinions or common problems.

·
Registered
178 Posts
too much... dont know where your located but that sounds a lil high. I only paid 700 for mine but its a manual trans. plus I guess I knew the guy a lil bit. I've got about 1600 in it after new clutch and replacing the power steering hose and a few other extras.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I wouldn't pay more than $2000 for that. The manual transmissions are bullet proof. The automatics are less common and tend to have some more expensive problems arise if they weren't maintained properly. Check the AT fluid and do a sniff test and see if it smells normal.

As far as the rest of the truck, find out if it's ever had the timing chain replaced. Start it up and listen for a rattle on start up. If you hear one, expect to spend $500-$700 to have the timing chain replaced (unless you do your own maintenance, then expect about $200 in parts).

Be sure and check the oil and make sure it's translucent and not milky in it's appearance.

·
Registered
120 Posts
yea thats to much money i got a 4x4 5spd 93 d21 with 67212 miles when i bought it, all it needed was a fuel pump (sending unit was rusted so look for that on the truck you're looking at) and i only paid 550 for it. i changed the timing chain and all its componants and seals with gaskets myself that only cost me 125 bucks, and ive got all service records. And i noticed that throw out bearings go on these trucks. Mine has been replaced twice and the truck now has 79000 miles. Runs excellent. but listen for a whining sound when you depress the clutch, if it wines the bearing is goin, mine has been wining for about 6k now, and im just waiting till the clutch goes and im replacing everything, for the clutch componants

All in all look for Rust on frame, sending unit on fuel pump for rust, throw out bearing, and see if it burns oil, if it does burn oil get a compression check done on it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts