Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate my freak'n '93 XE. All I want to do is change the damn thermostat and it's putting me through hell! As if it wasn't hard enough to get to (I swear I'm gonna just rip out that AC system!), the new one slouched when trying to install the water inlet, water neck, thermostat cover, or whatever the hell else you want to call it, and so the water inlet broke when I torqued it. No auto parts store had an aftermarket one and the dealer wanted $75, plus they had to order it, so I just ordered one from Courtesy Nissan for $52 with speedy shipping. Well, UPS routed it incorrectly and so delivery has been delayed for a week!

So until that gets here, I ought to ask the million dollar question about sealing this damn thing. The service manual says nothing about a solid gasket (just liquid), but when I took out the old aftermarket thermostat, the water inlet seemed to be using both silicone and a solid gasket. I went to Checker to get a solid gasket (they apparently list it as a "water outlet gasket", but it is the 3 bolt design), but I wasn't sure about it. This one was flat, but the old one had ridges that pressed into the grooves on the water inlet's mating surface. Can someone please tell me exactly what I should use to seal this thing if I'm using an OEM thermostat and an OEM water inlet?

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,236 Posts
my 97 SR outlet is the three bolt design.
Are you saying yours has 2 ?
it should not be necessary to use a gasket, but check the flanges for flatness, make sure the ears aren't bent, but since you have a new one it should be fine.
i used the grey RTV, follow the FSM instructions on amount and placement.
Good luck...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What Nissan calls the "water outlet" in the manual is a two bolt design, and the "water inlet" (thermostat cover) is a three bolt design. What I was saying is that Checker seems to list the water inlet gasket (the part has three bolt holes) as a water outlet gasket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts