Nissan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there, anyone who knows what to do with the sensors attached to the air filter box??? the box must be removed in order to install the cone air filter but dont know what to do with the sensors..help anyone

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
how many sensors are there? One is probably an air temp sensor and you can simply tie it up somewhere near the filter, or you can go all out and cut a small opening into the filter, not on the filter media itself, but on the flat plastic area up front or on the flat area on the back. This looks nicer and is a cleaner installation. So a search, I think theres pics in a post about this.

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts

or you can do it like the way i did it.

take a close look at where my sensor is... that is another option.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
LIUSPEED, did you simply put it inside the filter and run the wire under the filter collar? I hope your filter isn't very tight then, you're asking for trouble smashing the wires like that. I'd seriously consider changing that. Maybe cut a slot in the collar so that you can slide the wire to a hole on the other side of the clamp, then slide your clamp back on and viola, no more smashed wires. You could use some sensor safe RTV silicone to seal the opening if the wires aren't tight in the hole. Sometimes you can get away with hanging it outside, but some people have had check engine lights come one because of that. I'd modify the filter though. This is how NismoPC over at the SR20DEforum did his. This is the right way to do it, IMO. I can't get the images to link so, click on his site to see the pics. NismoPC's web page

·
Registered
547 Posts
hey liuspeed, did that cone do any good? just the cone by itself? I'm thinking of going ghetto style adn replacing a cone filter for the box and just some cut up piping to replace the plastic "tubing" for where the mas connects. And yeah, like toolapc said, I hope your cone isn't on too tight, that would totally cut all info to the air sensor.

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
LIUSPEED, did you simply put it inside the filter and run the wire under the filter collar? I hope your filter isn't very tight then, you're asking for trouble smashing the wires like that. I'd seriously consider changing that. Maybe cut a slot in the collar so that you can slide the wire to a hole on the other side of the clamp, then slide your clamp back on and viola, no more smashed wires. You could use some sensor safe RTV silicone to seal the opening if the wires aren't tight in the hole. Sometimes you can get away with hanging it outside, but some people have had check engine lights come one because of that. I'd modify the filter though. This is how NismoPC over at the SR20DEforum did his. This is the right way to do it, IMO. I can't get the images to link so, click on his site to see the pics. NismoPC's web page
well i did that cuz it was temporay. im gettin CAI sometime in October and i did that cus i wanted a better air flow than the box.

Im not sure if my wires are smashed but so far no damage has been done in my knowlegde. But that cone will be gone by october or so cuz im getting CAI.

hey liuspeed, did that cone do any good? just the cone by itself? I'm thinking of going ghetto style adn replacing a cone filter for the box and just some cut up piping to replace the plastic "tubing" for where the mas connects. And yeah, like toolapc said, I hope your cone isn't on too tight, that would totally cut all info to the air sensor.
this gone is pretty good. easy 2 maintan. i dont really feel like cutting n-e-thing but so far it hasnt done n-e-thing bad. ME and Tekno kid has the same set up so *shrugs* his car is fine and my car is fine.

Like i said earlier im getting CAI in october so no REAL big worries

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
i just let it hang, its probably stupid but no problems yet.

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Mine is hanging right now as well(the sensor I mean. lol). Been that way for 2 years with no problems. As long as it is close to the filter you will be fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A decent temp fix I did through someone elses advice was (and please excuse my lack of proper terminology) to reattach the intake tube from the stock air box that the sensor was attached to. It has no real advantage other than to keep the sensor from flopping around and take up a little less space in my closet. The only real advantage I found is that my Check engine light when out shortly after doing this.

·
FIVE SPEED&FOAM INJECTION
1,541 Posts
if you let it hang its gonna end up tripping your check engine light when it hits something man

Todd

·
pay your rent!
601 Posts
thing just looks like a diode to me (they are temp sensitive) and they do not break easily, i could be wrong though it wouldnt be the first time!!:D

·
Registered
547 Posts
Alright, got a couple questions? Installed a cone filter this weekend while doing my coilovers (Which I have to redo tomorrow damnit!). And I had no temp. sensor hanging there to plug into the filter like Luispeed does. And my check engine light isn't on either? The plug in sensor that the air temp sensor wire is coming from is plugged in, but nothing came out of the plug in? Anyone have any ideas?

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Zexel, you don't have an air temp sensor, that's why. B13 GA16DE's don't have them. :)

·
Registered
547 Posts
That makes sense. I just noticed he had a B14! I'm glad I don't have to go through the trouble with it then. One less thing that can break!

·
Banned
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanx u guys for your help. i installed it and it works fine, its cool, makes a noisy sound at high rpm..K&N recommended :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
toolapcfan said:
Zexel, you don't have an air temp sensor, that's why. B13 GA16DE's don't have them. :)
Then what is that plug that is on the bottom back corner of the filter box. I have a B13 with a GA16DE and I have that plug.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
You're talking about the air filter box itself right? What plug? My '93 doesn't have one. Are you sure you're not talking about the hose that's on the back corner of that plastic box that hangs under your MAF to TB tube? Post me a pic if you can.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have a 99 B14, and my stock airbox is in my closet and I can't find a plug on it anywhere except by the little intake tube where the air temp sensor goes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts