Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
New to the forums today. I'm in Ontario, Canada and am likely buying my buddy's old 2006 X-Trail 4x4 2.5L Bona Vista ed.
It's got quite a few kms - 260,000 - but it will be a good price.
I'm looking it over today just to make sure I know what I'm getting in to. I know it needs a rear wheel bearing and resonator/muffler exhaust work to pass safety.

My question: is there anything else I should pay special attention to? Anything that commonly goes on these models? esp at this stage on the odometer.

Thanks! Hope this works out for me and if so you will see me on here quite a bit in the future.

-AP

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,096 Posts
Like Otomodo said, you will get a good idea of what can go wrong or is needed to keep your X trail in good shape if you check out a number of threads in this forum. With a new to you X trail if you dont know the history of the fluids you may want to change them. Your major concerns should be the engine and transmission. Make sure they are operating well. My Bonavista has 170,000 kms, and I have written in other threads all I have done maintenance wise, and its great. Drives like a new car. Better than the new Rogue. Has only failed to start one morning in 6 years of ownership, and in its defence it was below -30 and the battery was 8 years old. Started two hours later with a charge on the battery mind you. Only other hick up was a recent code for a failed crankshaft sensor which caused me to stall one time for 5 minutes, before it would start up again. Replaced it and camshaft sensor and the responsiveness of the engine got even better.
Having those changed if they never have been would be a good move. Same deal for oxygen sensors and spark plugs. Transfer case and rear differential gear oil should be changed. Check that the coolant is good.
Any suspension work you do will only improve it. You will enjoy all the features on the Bonavista editions, and if you install a sat nav w bluetooth and a back up camera it makes for a pretty nice package! They are a serious deal used. Better than the CRVs, Ravs, Foresters of their vintage and less expensive in the used market because they were an orphaned model here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks so much for the response to anjp's request for info! I went to look at an 2005 SE this morning that was a trade in at a dealer. The car had small areas of rust common to the model. The oil was clean and topped up. However, as soon as we got into the car it was obvious that a smoker had owned the car. We took it for a test drive because my friend (who is buying) wanted to see how it handled. She was impressed with the Xtrail but the smell was terrible. The sales rep said they could drop an "anti-smoke" bomb in the car and the odour would be gone. It's one that requires the AC running , windows up and it is a can of smoke that fills the car for an hour or so. I checked it out after and it's only a masking device. Nothing gets the smoke out not to mention the carcinogens associated with third hand smoke like that. As well, it as a FWD model only. My friend wants AWD or 4WD. I asked for the VIN so I could run the carproof/fax on it. The sales rep ran it for us. Came back with 2 major accidents of over $11000 in damages with filed police reports. It is a ridiculously low mileage car <70K) but the carproof showed some "errors" in the servicing kms. Car suddenly lost 40,000 kms when a new owner registered it. I have an OBD2 Blue Driver app and dongle but we didn't bother.

That said, I was impressed with the vehicle. I love the way the dash is centred to make it easier to place the steering wheel on either side depending on the country they were being shipped to!

I've always preferred to buy a car from the current owner. After a visit to the dealership I know why! Good luck anjp with your search! Let us know how it goes.

Cheers!

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,096 Posts
here is a beaut for you rcross
2005 Nissan X-trail VUS | autos et camions | Ouest de l'île | Kijiji

2005 Nissan X-trail VUS | autos et camions | Laval / Rive-Nord | Kijiji

Nissan x-trail 2005 | autos et camions | Laval / Rive-Nord | Kijiji

Any of one of those 3 can probably be had for around 3,000. Avoid accidented cars. Get a great deal from a private buyer and invest some of the savings into the car. I would prefer one with appropriate mileage for its age, and that was regularly driven and maintained, rather than one with suspiciously low mileage that has sat for long periods of its life. Its a timing chain not belt so make sure the engine sounds and runs good and you are away to the races. well maybe not but perhaps some trails. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Quadraria10! 2 of those popped on just today!

That fuel reservoir filler pipe recall is a bit scary! The SE we looked at today hadn't had the recall addressed.

I agree with buying from an owner. I also agree that a car that sits is not always a car without problems. Thanks for the kijiji links

Cheers!

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,096 Posts
Hi RCross
Glad to help. Regarding the fuel filler neck that was recalled, I don't see it as a big issue. Firstly its only certain vin numbers not every one sold in Canada. Mine was never recalled as an example. Two, with the vin its easy to check with Nissan Canada if its included and if its been done already. Three, the problem if memory serves was linked to a bad coating over a weld that could lead to pitting and a leak, but the bad batch was identified and by now I would think almost all have been changed.

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,096 Posts
Last thought for you. Keep in mind that the Bonavista editions are basically the equivalent of a 2007 model and in addition to the extra features you get a younger vehicle.
For example here is an example of one I would be prepared to pay a higher price for. New control arms, brakes and replaced audio system add to the value package. It is in Ottawa mind you.
2006 Nissan X-trail Bona Vista SUV, Crossover | used cars & trucks | Ottawa | Kijiji

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone.
It was from a buddy so I'm not worried about him cheating me or needing to ship around for a good price.
Just wondering what typically fails in these vehicles. I am fairly comfortable doing most of my own maintenance and will get started soon.

Oh, picked it up yesterday and need to do a few things for the safety. Looks like it will need a new Rear wheel bearing...

It's also throwing a P0420 code. I know that's commonly associated with cat converter or o2 sensors. In this case there is a big leak between the resonator and muffler at the connecting flange. Could that contribute to the P0420 code or is it strictly cat/O2 up front?

Cheers

·
Nissan Enthusiast
3,096 Posts
I dont think that leak would cause that code. If I may suggest, have that flange cut out and a pipe over welded in to connect the two exhaust sections. Replacing them would be quite pricey as opposed to paying someone 40 or 50 to do the weld, which is what I had done 3 years ago. Also make sure all your muffler hangers are in place, or have them weld new ones in. Other than a few welds, my entire exhaust system is original and quiet. Its actually rather impressive.

Rear bearings and front bearings are wear items that typically need replacing every 100,000 to 150,000 kms. Rear brakes also wear faster than some other vehicles, but that is because the rear brakes are actually involved in stopping, thanks to the electronic brake force distribution system.

Maintenance will vary by owner. I personally think that a lot of cat problems are caused by a failure to replace spark plugs earlier, as well as bad 02 sensors. I changed to irridium plugs at 100,000 kms, as opposed to staying with the original platinum tipped for 160,000. My plugs now have 70,000 kms and are 4 years old. Running fine but I will probably change them next month before they start to degrade further. Can tire has a sale on 2 pack NGK irridium IX plugs this week, so I figure 34 + tax for 4 plugs is good insurance to keep things running optimally.

Also I think the crankshaft and camshaft sensors are due for replacement. These you can buy as a kit from the dealer for 50 to 60 cdn and contains the two sensors. The one in your x unless it was changed is an original design that was replaced down the road by a new style one.

Last word Rock Auto has by far the best selection of parts for the x trail, and most if not all issues you are likely to face have been covered here.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It's also throwing a P0420 code. I know that's commonly associated with cat converter or o2 sensors. In this case there is a big leak between the resonator and muffler at the connecting flange. Could that contribute to the P0420 code or is it strictly cat/O2 up front?
Mine was throwing the P0420 code a bunch before I got the fuel filler neck recall done. Then it was good for about 2 years. And now it has been throwing the P0420 code again. Just got a new gas cap and the code hasn't come back in 2,000 kms.

It could also be a failed O2 sensor. A scan tool can show you the voltages of the 2 sensors. If one is flat-lined that means it's failed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. I reset the CIL and have since driven 200+kms without it coming back.
I intend to get a pipe welded over the flange and hopefully that will be all the exhaust work required for safety + etest.

I will also look into those cam/crank shaft sensors. Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It could also be a failed O2 sensor. A scan tool can show you the voltages of the 2 sensors. If one is flat-lined that means it's failed.
Are you taking about the OBD code reader? I've never used mine for anything else than checking p codes. It's a pretty cheap one but will see if it has the option.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rear wheel bearing was a @!#$&! but all done now. Got a mechanic to cut and weld connecting pipe between the resonator and muffler and that leaky flange is all gone.
Passed the e-test and safety today without issue.
Service Ontario tomorrow to transfer the ownership. I'm happy it all worked out for me and pretty inexpensive too!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I'm Mumar, My Nissan trail 2005 LE I got a problem regarding idle is up and down. I got a reading of P0507, I tried first in the YouTube how to reset the throttle or the re-learn procedure but I get no luck. My mechanic replaced the throttle body is a brand new but it gets worse he said he can't calibrate and he can't get any reading in his scanner. I need pls. Tnx

·
Registered
473 Posts
ummm...lol....it has warmed up outside and i think a few Xtrail owners forgot to tell him about the dreaded Freeze Out. Heck, i live in Vancouver and we have normally mild rainy winters, but a few times it went below zero overnight/got some snow....and my doors would not unlock/open. And when i finally did get the damn door(s) open...it would not latch shut. So just beware, Xtrail a great little suv ( bought my '06 in 2015....runs perfect.) but come winter, if you live somewhere in Canada that gets regular cold, freezing snowy winters.....keep a flamethrower handy. :)

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,880 Posts
Hi, I'm Mumar, My Nissan trail 2005 LE I got a problem regarding idle is up and down. I got a reading of P0507, I tried first in the YouTube how to reset the throttle or the re-learn procedure but I get no luck. My mechanic replaced the throttle body is a brand new but it gets worse he said he can't calibrate and he can't get any reading in his scanner. I need pls. Tnx
The relearn procedure must be precise.
Disconnect the negative battery terminal for 30 seconds to reset the onboard computer. Do not perform the relearn if the service engine soon light is on and codes related to the mass airflow sensor, manifold absolute pressure, or incorrect idle speed are found. If everything is in order, we can begin.

First, bring the engine to normal operating temperature, 160-203°F or 70-95°C. Next turn off all accessories such as the air conditioning, rear window defogger, radio, and heater blower to prevent a load on the engine which would cause erroneous positioning of the throttle plate. Finally, make sure the front wheels of the vehicle are in the neutral position pointing straight ahead. We are now ready to perform the required relearn procedure.

Make sure the accelerator pedal is fully released. Turn the ignition switch on without starting the engine for at least 2 seconds. Turn the ignition switch off for at least 10 seconds. Again, turn the ignition on for at least 2 seconds. Turn the ignition off for at least 10 seconds. This action will inform the computer on the new release position of the accelerator pedal and the closed position. Now that this is done, we can move on to the next step. Please make sure to follow these next instructions precisely as every action is performed within a few seconds. Turn the ignition switch on and wait 3 seconds. Immediately after the 3 seconds, the accelerator pedal must be pressed and released 5 times within 5 seconds. Wait 7 seconds and fully press the accelerator pedal and hold for approximately 20 seconds until the check engine light stops blinking and stays on. Within 3 seconds after the check engine light stays constantly on, release the accelerator pedal. Now start the engine and let it idle. After 20 seconds, rev up the engine a couple of times to ensure idle speed is within specifications. If the relearn was unsuccessful, turn the key to the off position wait 60 seconds and restart the process.

If the CEL does not go off, try this procedure:
1. Turn key OFF and wait at least 10 seconds
2. Turn key ON (no ignition), wait 3 seconds, then press & release accelerator pedal 5x hard and quickly.
3. Wait 10 seconds, then fully press and hold the accelerator.
4. After about 12 seconds, the CEL will go off then start blinking. As soon as it starts blinking, release the accelerator.
5. Wait 10 seconds, then fully press and hold the accelerator.
6. Wait 10 seconds, then release the accelerator.
7. Turn the key to off, then immediately start the engine. The CEL should now be off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Disconnect the negative battery terminal for 30 seconds to reset the onboard computer. Do not perform the relearn if the service engine soon light is on and codes related to the mass airflow sensor, manifold absolute pressure, or incorrect idle speed are found. If everything is in order, we can begin.

First, bring the engine to normal operating temperature, 160-203°F or 70-95°C. Next turn off all accessories such as the air conditioning, rear window defogger, radio, and heater blower to prevent a load on the engine which would cause erroneous positioning of the throttle plate. Finally, make sure the front wheels of the vehicle are in the neutral position pointing straight ahead. We are now ready to perform the required relearn procedure.

Make sure the accelerator pedal is fully released. Turn the ignition switch on without starting the engine for at least 2 seconds. Turn the ignition switch off for at least 10 seconds. Again, turn the ignition on for at least 2 seconds. Turn the ignition off for at least 10 seconds. This action will inform the computer on the new release position of the accelerator pedal and the closed position. Now that this is done, we can move on to the next step. Please make sure to follow these next instructions precisely as every action is performed within a few seconds. Turn the ignition switch on and wait 3 seconds. Immediately after the 3 seconds, the accelerator pedal must be pressed and released 5 times within 5 seconds. Wait 7 seconds and fully press the accelerator pedal and hold for approximately 20 seconds until the check engine light stops blinking and stays on. Within 3 seconds after the check engine light stays constantly on, release the accelerator pedal. Now start the engine and let it idle. After 20 seconds, rev up the engine a couple of times to ensure idle speed is within specifications. If the relearn was unsuccessful, turn the key to the off position wait 60 seconds and restart the process.

2. Turn key ON (no ignition), wait 3 seconds, then press & release accelerator pedal 5x hard and quickly.
4. After about 12 seconds, the CEL will go off then start blinking. As soon as it starts blinking, release the accelerator.
7. Turn the key to off, then immediately start the engine. The CEL should now be off.
Tnk you do much for t

Tnk you so much for your help. I will try again the re-learn procedure. Tnx again!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts