Nissan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Viva el iPod
Joined
·
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having doubts, seems that in certain subforums the moderators hoard the discussion and allow for no dissenting opinion, and penalize differing views. I love OT (although less lately), and the B11/B12 and e-series forums, but if this issue with some of the moderators isn't even going to be addressed (tried over PM, I'm can't even get a response) I don't know that this is a resource good enough to help contribute to financially. I guess I'm disappointed than anything, especially with the lack of response over the issue, and I have to believe I'm not the only one with this problem.
 

·
Viva el iPod
Joined
·
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scott said:
Do what you have to do.

However, if you think nothing has been done, then you are flat-out wrong.
Scott, I appriciate that this issue is being addressed and I hope I see improvements with the moderation. I never got a response to my specific problem with a moderator, perhaps I shouldn't have expected one, I don't know.

Up to now I've even been reluctant to even mention the problem in a thread, And I don't want to name specific moderators in any case. They know who they are, and I'm sure its not a personal problem with just me, it seems it like it's an attitude problem in general.

Maybe having moderators rotate duties around the different forums, or having them take a break and rotating moderators like that.

A good moderator isn't neccesarily someone that has vast technical knowledge or has been around for a long time, it could in fact be a determent if its couple with an attitude of supeiority over everyone else. The best moderators I've seen dedicate more time to the task of moderating.
 

·
THINK BLUE
Joined
·
1,014 Posts
I don't know what happened with you & the mods....but if you are expecting some sort of preferential treatment because you contribute, then obviously you should not renew. Its obvious that you were not satisfied how your situation was treated, perhaps you thought you deserved some special treatment.

It sounds like this forum does not meet all of your expectations, maybe you should find a forum that will be worthy of your hard earned money.

I contribute because I want to keep this site going, and have found a wealth of information here. The ability to download the FSM is worth three years of my contribution. If they were to drop the contributor tag from under my username I would still renew. I don't have any hidden agendas, I just want to keep OT alive and help out fellow Nissan owners. :thumbup:
 

·
Viva el iPod
Joined
·
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wufaded said:
I don't know what happened with you & the mods....but if you are expecting some sort of preferential treatment because you contribute, then obviously you should not renew. Its obvious that you were not satisfied how your situation was treated, perhaps you thought you deserved some special treatment.

It sounds like this forum does not meet all of your expectations, maybe you should find a forum that will be worthy of your hard earned money.

I contribute because I want to keep this site going, and have found a wealth of information here. The ability to download the FSM is worth three years of my contribution. If they were to drop the contributor tag from under my username I would still renew. I don't have any hidden agendas, I just want to keep OT alive and help out fellow Nissan owners. :thumbup:
I'm not looking for special treatment, I'm looking for normal treatment. It's not too much to ask to have moderators that are not condesending or abuse their moderating privledges, is it? That's all I ask. Having Mods with superiority complexes can't be conducive to maintaining or increasing membership (of any kind), can it?

And for the most part my experience has been very positive, especially in the b11/b12 forums, and OT has been really fun (although rough at times ;) ). Its some of the other moderators in some of the other forums. I don't want to be scared of going into other forums simply because the person moderating it is an asshole.

I may just give it more time and see if the situation gets better.
 

·
THINK BLUE
Joined
·
1,014 Posts
You have a valid gripe against some (or all) moderators. I don't see what that has to do with you contributing. You think by NOT contributing some mods will change their attitudes? Dood, you are barking up the wrong tree. Seems to me that your decision to contribute hinges on some changes being made around here....either that or want some sort of apology and guarantee that you will be able to freely speak your mind before you decide to contribute again...I dunno, I am just speculating. Hard for me to say anything since I don't know the whole story. Its all on you, either way you will still be a member here if you don't give up the cash.....
 

·
Icy Hot Stunta
Joined
·
2,366 Posts
bII said:
I'm having doubts, seems that in certain subforums the moderators hoard the discussion and allow for no dissenting opinion, and penalize differing views. I love OT (although less lately), and the B11/B12 and e-series forums, but if this issue with some of the moderators isn't even going to be addressed (tried over PM, I'm can't even get a response) I don't know that this is a resource good enough to help contribute to financially. I guess I'm disappointed than anything, especially with the lack of response over the issue, and I have to believe I'm not the only one with this problem.
If you call experts diseminating facts on the subject hording the discussion, I guess you have an issue with moderation. When your opinion is wrong and you insist on persistantly arguring against several people who have many years of experiance in the field when you have none, then you have a problem with moderation, its not condensending moderators. When the facts are laid out very clearly for you and you still argue, and try to convince others that your potentialy engine damaging advice is valid, what do you expect if you get a few rep points taken away. Its not like a few points really matters. Its not like you were banned or anything.

Now you can disagree with an expert if you do indeed know your shit. If you were able to provide information on exaclty how you did something and what the results were, any expert could respect that even if they don't agree with you. But if you if you havent even attempted what you are defending and are advising other on, then you can expect to be shot down.

If you can't handle someone disagreeing with you, don't re-up. If you don't like being very minorly docked for giving out bad advice then find another forum.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,785 Posts
I present in evidence This Thread as exhibit A. Given your knowledge on the subject, and your insistance at standing behind bluster and inaccurate information , indeed in other threads besides this one, I would rather actually insist on asking that you not reup. We don't need newbies and those without advanced technical knowledge taking your "advice" to heart and blowing up their cars and walking away from Nissan cars in general in disgust just because someone like you gave them inaccurate information. You've been proven wrong time and again in multiple threads and yet insist on standing behind what you call your experience with racing teams and importing and the many other things you always pull out when challenged, when the evidence rather points to the fact that you really don't know what you're talking about at all.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
1,075 Posts
bII said:
Scott, I appriciate that this issue is being addressed and I hope I see improvements with the moderation. I never got a response to my specific problem with a moderator, perhaps I shouldn't have expected one, I don't know.

Up to now I've even been reluctant to even mention the problem in a thread, And I don't want to name specific moderators in any case. They know who they are, and I'm sure its not a personal problem with just me, it seems it like it's an attitude problem in general.

Maybe having moderators rotate duties around the different forums, or having them take a break and rotating moderators like that.

A good moderator isn't neccesarily someone that has vast technical knowledge or has been around for a long time, it could in fact be a determent if its couple with an attitude of supeiority over everyone else. The best moderators I've seen dedicate more time to the task of moderating.
You never received a response to your PM because I didn't see the need. I receive way too many private messages and e-mails to reply to them all anyway. The moderator whom you were complaining about last time and I exchanged a couple messages and I considered the issue settled.

I'll be the first to admit some of the moderators here can be a little harsh, but it's only in an effort to keep the discussion in the technical areas on topic and factual. How the moderators & users interact is a topic of discussion in the moderator forum frequently, so it's not like complaints aren't handled seriously.
 

·
Viva el iPod
Joined
·
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Scott said:
You never received a response to your PM because I didn't see the need. I receive way too many private messages and e-mails to reply to them all anyway. The moderator whom you were complaining about last time and I exchanged a couple messages and I considered the issue settled.

I'll be the first to admit some of the moderators here can be a little harsh, but it's only in an effort to keep the discussion in the technical areas on topic and factual. How the moderators & users interact is a topic of discussion in the moderator forum frequently, so it's not like complaints aren't handled seriously.
Again Scott, thank you for your dilligence, I'm sure its taxing on you. To those that say I stood behind inaccurate information, look back at the threads, some people in those threads were agruing with me assumming I was asserting something I wasn't. I have never, up to now, publicly aired any compaints against other members, and even now, I never mentioned names, other than in PMs, and I'll continue to behave that way. I raised the issue now (in the broadest sense possible), because it does seem to be an issue others have.

I feel that some sub-forums are not areas where members of the community can share information, ideas, knowledge, and opinions. I assumed that is the purpose, I see now that is is not, that's fine, no one says it has to be.

I was not aware that included with the duties of moderators was to quelch dissent, take away rep points, not for behavior, not for violating the rules of the forum, but for differing POV. Now I know, and I guess I have to learn my place if I don't want to be punished.


And I'm sure some of you would love the "riff-raff" to go away so you can have the place all to yourselves.


And Wufaded, its not so much looking for change by not re-uping, but am just wondering out loud if I should support bullies or not. And I'm thinking outloud only because I have heard others have had problems as well, so I was looking for how they feel about it. I'm torn between the good and the bad, what I like and don't like, that's all.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,785 Posts
The tech forums are for providing people with the right answers, not conjecture and opinion. Those types of ideas should be limited to the forum areas marked as "general". Technical matters generally aren't up for discussion , there is a right and a wrong way to do every mod, a right and a wrong answer for every question. That's the point I beleive that you have been missing here. Mike and I have tried to give you the right answers, but you insist that only you are right......
It's nice that you have found the opinions in question to work for you, but that's all they are, are opinions. Mike and I and others deal with facts, facts and ideals we've accumulated over years of modding vehicles, learning the steps, learning what works and does not work, what is reliable and what is not, what is not worth the trouble to install and what is, over a wide swath of vehicles. I personally have owned over 50 cars in my thirty odd years, worked on even more, and for all that I'm sure Mike has been under the hood of many more than that. We're moderators because we have experience in the subjects about which we are talking, not always because we are good at policing forums..... It's up to us to provide the answers to questions that sometimes no one else can. It's also up to us to argue our point if need be, because our experience tells us we are right. It's also up to us to make sure that others do not provide false or misleading answers to people seeking advice, and that's where a lot of our jobs as moderators comes in to play.
 

·
Viva el iPod
Joined
·
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So if a moderator in a tech forum feels something is incorrect, it is incorrect then, the experience of others be damned, the moderator's way is the only way. I see now, the opinion of a moderator is the only one that counts. So people with different experiences different ideas are not allowed to give input, we should all just be quiet and wait for a moderator to give his/her opinion/input/whatever and take it as gospel. Thank you clearing that up.

Perhaps for the tech forums we should change the title of moderator to "sanctioned advisor" or "technical writer." That's fine, if that's the way it is and that's what the owners of the site want. I figured that sort of one-way communication was better suited for a magazine or book or similar media.

EDIT: If this is the case, then whenever someone asks a question in the tech forums, could a moderator please answer it and then immediately lock it, thanks.
 

·
Because Size Matters
Joined
·
1,260 Posts
^^^^

Since I don't know the details of the initial argument I'm not going to comment on that but I do however agree with b11 on his previous statement. I've noticed what he is seeing too but I've never had as big of a problem with it, I just let it go.
It's up to us to provide the answers to questions that sometimes no one else can. It's also up to us to argue our point if need be, because our experience tells us we are right.
whenever someone asks a question in the tech forums, could a moderator please answer it and then immediately lock it
If you are always right then there is no need for anyone else to answer the question.
There are other people with other experiences that might have the same result with a different method. I DO, however, agree that proof must be given, in ALL cases, mods, noobs and all other alike.
 

·
Viva el iPod
Joined
·
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HATEnFATE said:
If you are always right then there is no need for anyone else to answer the question.
There are other people with other experiences that might have the same result with a different method. I DO, however, agree that proof must be given, in ALL cases, mods, noobs and all other alike.
This attitude that there is only one way and some people are ALWAYS right doesn't really provide for a "forum" experience, its more of a Q&A session. It certainly doesn't forster a sense of community, which again, maybe that's not the aim of this site.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top