Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the proper procedure for painting inserts inside the car? I am looking to painting some of the easily accessible inserts the same color as the outside of the car. I want the pieces smooth and glossy. Any help from everybody will be greatly appreciated.

·
PB JELLY TIME!
1,484 Posts
All I did was take the part I want to paint, wash it (if its really dirty) and cleaned it out. Then I took some paint thinner and rubbed it on the surface, to get rid of crap on it. Then wiped that off (better wipe it off or else the paint will get bubbles) and then take some primer (I had gray, but any color should be fine) make sure the whole thing is covered, and let it dry for a little bit, and then applied several coats of the paint, and made sure I didnt miss anything. Then you can put clear coat on to make it more shiny, but I didnt need it for mine, it was shiny enough. Hope that helps.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Psch91, Did you do any sanding after you put the primer? or before you put the clear coat?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
clear coat makes a world of difference...
sanding it down isnt necessary if it is a smooth surface...
also, it dont take but about 30 min to dry, just keep it in the sun, and out of the wind. I learned that the hard way... the wind blew sand and twigs all over my newly painted interior, and i had to do the job again...
also, take your time... make it look professional

·
PB JELLY TIME!
1,484 Posts
Sanding wasnt necessary. And dont just tape any spray paint, as that will just come off. Use Vinyl Dye, or however you spell it. It will actually bond with the surface. Be prepared to spend some time on it to get it done right.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks folks... These will definitely help. With 4th of July coming up I am planning to take this weekend and do the radio frame and instrument cluster and a moment for our country
God Bless America.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts