Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 96 XE seems to have a problem. When there is a cold night, below 20-25 degrees, the next morning when I start the car, it runs fine. However, as soon as I put the thing in gear it died. I am not a mechanic, but to me it acted like something was "frozen" in the transmision, and when it couldn't turn it just killed the engine to prevent further damage.

I can start it up, shift into gear an give it alittle gas and it will go into convulsions but it will move... The problem occurs in drive and reverse only, not neutral or park...

I have 188,000 miles on it, and the transimission fluid was replace back at about 75,000.

·
Registered
117 Posts
have you tried to let it warm up for a while? if no try that every once in awhile i have to pull my truck in the garage for a while so itll thaw out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is starting to become a problem for me... Is there any other suggestions other than letting the car warm up?

Would it throw a code with this kind of problem? My check engine light isn't coming on, but just thought I was ask...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is it standard or auto? If it's standard, it sounds like a frozen clutch plates, If it's auto, you may have gotten some water in your trans. There may also be water in your rear pumpkin but doubtful. The fact this only happens at lower temps is pointing me to water somewhere in the system that is freezing up. No time like the present to drain all transmission fluids and while your under the car you might as well replace the diff fluid in both pumpkins. It's easy to do and dosen't cost much.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could it be electrical?

The probelm seems to be occuring more frequently now, with my car only having to sit for about 3 hours in weather that is right at freezing.

I am not sure, but could it be something electrical? I noticed last night when I started it, the tail lights did some weird stuff while it was having trouble.

Also I spoke to a friend, and he said it sounds like a sticky throttle valve or something.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More Problems

I am not sure if it is realated or if I should start a new post, but tonight I stopped by the grocery on the way home. I went in, got my goods, and was back in the parking lot in about 10 minutes. When I tried to start the car, it wouldn't turn over, as if there wasn't even a starter on the car.

I think this happened to me before, and it was a fuse under the hood, but I checked there, and there wasn't a problem that I can find. I feel that it is a fuse, but it was just too darn cold to deal with in the parking lot, I towed it home and it is sitting in the garage to deal with tomorrow. I almost hope it is cold weather related, then it will start in the morning.

In the mean time, any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts