Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are there any other choices for cold air besides aem, place racing and hotshot? there has to be something out there a little cheaper...

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
nothing cheaper for cold air. there is also injen but it more expensive.

·
NOt only a customer...
176 Posts
wrong luis.. if you can get your hands on a AEM or a brand name CAI.. from your friend take it to a muffler shop and see if they can copy the design for you. I would recommend you to a place the guy did mine. he copied my pRI CAI which is 3 inches and i had him make it in a 2.5 like the AEM he did good work for 40 bux. I asked him to make it a little longer just incase and he said if i need to get it cut.. to mark it and bring it back to him.. this guy is cool..

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
I agree, make your own or have one made. I'll never buy a prefabbed CAI, unless they get down to around $60. As long as the bends are long sweeps and aren't sharp, and the tubing is the right size, you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm in the process of building my own CAI out of 2.5" and 3" mandrel bent 6061 aluminum. At first I figured I could make it significantly cheaper, but in the end, it will probably cost me around $150-$180 (mostly the materials).

I'd say a aftermarket CAI for under $250 isn't a bad deal if its made out of mandrel bent aluminum (and I think all the sr20 ones are).

Aaron

·
DNE's VZR Conversion
6,079 Posts
well .. i never said i was right all the time... hehe.. there is always that way. but for brand name and stuff.. probably not n-e-cheaper than i believe is place racing cai.

·
NOt only a customer...
176 Posts
oh yea.. youll also have to get a MAF adapter. I got two for the GA, but im looking for an SE-R ... but i dont want to order it i just want to go and pick it up

·
Registered
131 Posts
oh yea.. youll also have to get a MAF adapter. I got two for the GA, but im looking for an SE-R ... but i dont want to order it i just want to go and pick it up
what si the difference between the SR and the GA maf adapter... if it bolts up the same and the only diff is the inside diameter.. jsut take a dremel and make it bigger.. it wont harm anything.. and if you already have two you can mess up on one..
just my 2 pennies

·
Registered
435 Posts
The only difference between the SR and GA maf adapters is the bolt pattern. I got an SE-R adapter off of ebay. Luckily it was aluminum and drilled out easily. Bolted up perfectly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ye adude.. dat sounds like a good idea..... i actually need to get me an CAI and i wanted to get apexi stuff but the only got sr20det stuff :*( .. just need to find someone to make me the piping

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
4,571 Posts
da_linkwent said:
I made mine from fibre glass and it works well
Fiberglass??? and Crappy pipe from a exhaust shop that will rust???? You guys obviously don't care what can get sucked into the maf or into the intake manifold..

Some my find this harsh... but if you can't afford to buy a decent CAI or WAI or research it well enough to fabricate a decent one, then you really have no business modifing your car in the first place.

It's one of the cheapest modifications you can buy...especiallyfor the gains.. why not just save up and buy a good one?

·
Banned
4,309 Posts
myoung said:
Fiberglass??? and Crappy pipe from a exhaust shop that will rust???? You guys obviously don't care what can get sucked into the maf or into the intake manifold..

Some my find this harsh... but if you can't afford to buy a decent CAI or WAI then you really have no business modifing your car in the first place.
hey if hes decent with fiberglass t will be the same as a plastic adapter it dosent need to be polished alum. and just cuz people cant afford to buy a 300 dollar cai dosent in any way means they cant mod their car if im not mistaken isnt that how the whole thing began? with kids doing half assed back yard mods makin their cars better then they were before? im not condoning it but im not against it either. thats relly a hugh buzz kill for some kids man lots of people look up to you, you have probly the fastest 1.6 in the US, and then you tell them they shouldnt mod their cars cuz their poor? thats pretty weak.

·
4,571 Posts
1.6pete said:
hey if hes decent with fiberglass t will be the same as a plastic adapter it dosent need to be polished alum. and just cuz people cant afford to buy a 300 dollar cai dosent in any way means they cant mod their car if im not mistaken isnt that how the whole thing began? with kids doing half assed back yard mods makin their cars better then they were before? im not condoning it but im not against it either
$300?? Do a little looking around. You can get them well under $300

It should be pretty obvious as to why fiberglass is not the best material to use.

·
Banned
4,309 Posts
myoung said:
$300?? Do a little looking around. You can get them well under $300

It should be pretty obvious as to why fiberglass is not the best material to use.
i completly agree now that i think about it that ish with crumple but still i got a maf adapter and filter (the way to go $21) but i think if done correctly it would be half decent (a home made intake that is not the fiberglass) you could allways coat it in something ie paint or something of the like or find a muffler shop with aluminized pipe :cheers:

·
Registered
77 Posts
I agree. How is it that homemade stuff suck? where the hell do you think this stuff started. ASlong as it works, go for it. Its up to you on how getto it looks.

1.6pete said:
i completly agree now that i think about it that ish with crumple but still i got a maf adapter and filter (the way to go $21) but i think if done correctly it would be half decent (a home made intake that is not the fiberglass) you could allways coat it in something ie paint or something of the like or find a muffler shop with aluminized pipe :cheers:

·
4,571 Posts
dmanars said:
I agree. How is it that homemade stuff suck? where the hell do you think this stuff started. ASlong as it works, go for it. Its up to you on how getto it looks.
Where did I say homemade stuff sucks?

I said, at least do some research and use decent material. It's not just about ghetto looks.. that's your choice.

Think about what a CAI does, where does the air go?...why do you have a filter? if the pipe or coating has foregin material on it, like fibers, rust, etc... where do you think it will go.. obviously the filter won't catch it since the filter is on the end of the pipe.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts