Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an AEM CAI recently and was wondering how difficult it would be to install because i've been hearing mixed opinions. Also, someone told me that I would need some sort of sponge thing, I forget what it is called, but its supposed to keep water from getting in my engine, what is that called, and how difficult is it to put in a CAI?

this is a random question that'll make me look really stupid, but sentras are DOHC right?

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
yeah, they're all twin cam.

you don't need a bypass valve....and the install isn't that hard.

·
Registered
54 Posts
chimmike said:
yeah, they're all twin cam.

you don't need a bypass valve....and the install isn't that hard.
yea just dont drive into a river. :balls:

·
Registered
78 Posts
hobbesdbom said:
I bought an AEM CAI recently and was wondering how difficult it would be to install because i've been hearing mixed opinions. Also, someone told me that I would need some sort of sponge thing, I forget what it is called, but its supposed to keep water from getting in my engine, what is that called, and how difficult is it to put in a CAI?

this is a random question that'll make me look really stupid, but sentras are DOHC right?
The bypass valve is a bad idea due tot he fact that after time all the air going through it will break it down and then you'll have small chunks of foam scattering throught your engine (And turbo if you have one) makes for a rather messy situation.

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
Sanguinius said:
small chunks of foam scattering throught your engine (And turbo if you have one) makes for a rather messy situation.

riiiiight. CAI with aftermarket turbo....on this car. ye just don't understand yet.

·
Mofo fo life
2,103 Posts
The bypass valve is a good idea if it rains alot, and there is standing water around near you. But becuase of our lower fender wall that stretches under neath the bumper you really dont need one. its up to you

as for the CAI Install, AEM should have given you install directions but here are mine was best as I can remember:

** disclaimer: if you screw your car up... you did the work, its not my fault. these are not complete instructions. I worte them up based on an assumption that you know how to do most of the things involved with the install. If you screw up its your fault**

1. jack up the front drivers side of the car and remove the wheel. ( make sure to use the proper jack point). Next remove the fender lining ( make sure to keep the little brackets around the screws, and all hardware that you take off).

2. remove the stock air box, all the way down to the resonator ( once again keep all hard ware) ** be careful with you MAF sensor( the black tube with the wires comming from it). the MAF is a delicate peice on your intake, and I suggest removing it and placing it aside.. DO NOT DROP IT**

3. Test fit the pipes to make sure you have them installed correctly, and install the black adapter plate to the MAF. Make sure you install the plate correctly so that it does not block air flow, and the bolts are not stripped. Also, be gentle with the MAF, you break it your engine goes into safe mode and you're out 400 dollars.

4. install the intake, using the provided ( or stock) hose clamps, starting with the throttle body, to the MAF sensor ( install it with the arrow pointing to the throttle body- air flow direction). then move on to the next pipe, and bu sure to install the rubber mount to the two pronged peice. ( screw the rubber mount into the hole in the fender well- same hole that the air box was attached to- and then screw the bolt in from the intake pipe. next attach filter to the lower pipe, and then attach to the mid pipe. After you are done attaching the pipes, make sure that the MAF is connected and all the hose clamps are tightened down. The Intake might rattle on the hole in the fender well, I fixed this but taping some out door pipe insulation to the hole. It works well.

5. replace the fender lining, make sure that it is bolted up correctly, and that you use all the stock mounting points. the lining is a very weak part of the car, so at speed it will rip off if you dont install it correctly. Now replace the wheel, lower the car and tighten the lug nutts, make sure the lug nutts are torqued down to spec. ( 85-90 lb ft.)

6. Start the car. If you are carefull, and dont act a fool during the install the car should start with no problems. If you've fucked it up, your CEL will be one, and perhaps your car might be running in safe mode. All of which could be solved by making sure that the MAF is in fine working order ( 3 wires cross the air's path through the MAF), and that the Wire bundle is attached correctly and not crimped or cut. IF it still doesnt work, take your car into Nissan and have them see what Codes its throwing. You might have to risk buying a New MAF.

that should be it, if you get stuck hit me up on AIM ( i am always online) and I'll see what I can do to help you out
-Flying V-

oh ps, i did my install in this order and my car is fine, and I have yet to have a MAF problem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
according to aem u dont have to alter the hole goin to your wheel well. and is a easy install

·
Registered
127 Posts
you don't have to, but i did it anyway because it didn't line up perfectly. Overall it was an easy install for me. I also got directions from AEM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts