Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vanilla Ice all the way baby!
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i searched and saw lots of stuff on coilovers vs. springs but i want to know what are the advantages between coilovers and shocks

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
coilovers are full suspension replacements and shocks are just shocks. you're comparing apples to apple sauce.

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
no, you don't quite comprehend dude.

go find some pictures of coilover setups like JICs, then look at pictures of a shock/strut

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
of course it would. but if you were to use that coil over setup you would need to take the the spring you have right now off. i can see where it is but you have to have one.

the spring is what keeps the car up, the shock is what keeps the car from bouncing around on the spring. right now it seems like you may have a torsion bar setup like that found on a truck......this is compairable to a garge door, go to your garage and look at the bar above it with a spring wraped around it to tension, the coil over uses compresion instead of tension. so when you get those coil overs you may need to do some fabing to get them to fit, and you will need to find the existing spring/torsion bar and take it off as well.

to expand: about what mike said

coil over setup, includes the spring AND shock together.

normal/OEM, seprate shocks and springs like on your Z. some times the spring does not sit on the shock (like on many lifted trucks) the shock is seprate from the spring.

to see if that coild over will fit on your buggy you need to measure the shock on your car now with the coilover to see if its the same size, it also needs to same type of mounts or you will need to fab.

·
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1.6pete said:
of course it would. but if you were to use that coil over setup you would need to take the the spring you have right now off. i can see where it is but you have to have one.

the spring is what keeps the car up, the shock is what keeps the car from bouncing around on the spring. right now it seems like you may have a torsion bar setup like that found on a truck......this is compairable to a garge door, go to your garage and look at the bar above it with a spring wraped around it to tension, the coil over uses compresion instead of tension. so when you get those coil overs you may need to do some fabing to get them to fit, and you will need to find the existing spring/torsion bar and take it off as well.

to expand: about what mike said

coil over setup, includes the spring AND shock together.

normal/OEM, seprate shocks and springs like on your Z. some times the spring does not sit on the shock (like on many lifted trucks) the shock is seprate from the spring.

to see if that coild over will fit on your buggy you need to measure the shock on your car now with the coilover to see if its the same size, it also needs to same type of mounts or you will need to fab.
the mounts are the same, and as for the type of front end, its a link-pin design, the two arms connected to the spindle are the torsion bars, there are no other external springs.

·
bitter old man
1,456 Posts
Use coilovers to REPLACE the torsion bars or supplement them if they're too soft and you can't get stiffer replacements.

·
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bahearn said:
Use coilovers to REPLACE the torsion bars or supplement them if they're too soft and you can't get stiffer replacements.
if i replace the torsion bars then i would need to make an entirely new setup, the toarsion bars are also the pivot point for the wheels, so i cant take them off, i'll jsut get billet shocks instead, i'll put the coilovers on the back

1 - 9 of 9 Posts