Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, new to the forums. I got this code from my OBD reader and from reading the description of the code, I'm pretty sure I need a new crankshaft sensor. Here's where the confusion sets in because of camshaft sensor vs crankshaft sensor.

After doing some research, here are what I found:

1) It seems like there are 2 camshaft sensors (bank 1 located on the passenger side and bank 2 on the driver's side). If standing in front of the truck, bank 1 is on the left side of the engine while bank 2 is located in a tight spot behind the engine, almost touching the frame.

2) The crankshaft sensor, it seems, is located at the bottom, where the passenger side fender is, and to access it, you would have to remove the front passenger wheel to get to it (unlike the 2 camshaft sensors above where you don't really need to remove anything to change them).

My 1st question is, are (1) and (2) correct?

2nd question, how many crankshaft sensors are there? 1 or more?

The reason for my confusion is my father, who isn't a mechanic but does know some stuff about cars and technical stuff in general, changed 2 sensors, what he claimed is a camshaft sensor and a crankshaft sensor. However, when he described to me what he changed, it seems like he only changed bank 1 and 2 of the camshaft sensor (but never touched the crankshaft sensor). He's calling the one behind the engine as the crankshaft, which I don't think is correct.

He's arguing that there's only 1 camshaft (on the left next to engine on passenger) and 1 crankshaft (behind the engine in hard-to-reach spot closer to driver side). Meanwhile, I'm arguing that both of those are camshaft sensors and the crankshaft sensor is something else that's located somewhere else (what I said in #2 above). So now I'm confused. Any clarification to this is greatly appreciated because I need to change the crankshaft sensor only, per the code.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
7,033 Posts
Hello everyone, new to the forums. I got this code from my OBD reader and from reading the description of the code, I'm pretty sure I need a new crankshaft sensor. Here's where the confusion sets in because of camshaft sensor vs crankshaft sensor.

After doing some research, here are what I found:

1) It seems like there are 2 camshaft sensors (bank 1 located on the passenger side and bank 2 on the driver's side). If standing in front of the truck, bank 1 is on the left side of the engine while bank 2 is located in a tight spot behind the engine, almost touching the frame.

2) The crankshaft sensor, it seems, is located at the bottom, where the passenger side fender is, and to access it, you would have to remove the front passenger wheel to get to it (unlike the 2 camshaft sensors above where you don't really need to remove anything to change them).

My 1st question is, are (1) and (2) correct?

2nd question, how many crankshaft sensors are there? 1 or more?

The reason for my confusion is my father, who isn't a mechanic but does know some stuff about cars and technical stuff in general, changed 2 sensors, what he claimed is a camshaft sensor and a crankshaft sensor. However, when he described to me what he changed, it seems like he only changed bank 1 and 2 of the camshaft sensor (but never touched the crankshaft sensor). He's calling the one behind the engine as the crankshaft, which I don't think is correct.

He's arguing that there's only 1 camshaft (on the left next to engine on passenger) and 1 crankshaft (behind the engine in hard-to-reach spot closer to driver side). Meanwhile, I'm arguing that both of those are camshaft sensors and the crankshaft sensor is something else that's located somewhere else (what I said in #2 above). So now I'm confused. Any clarification to this is greatly appreciated because I need to change the crankshaft sensor only, per the code.

Question 1: Statements (1) and (2) are correct; both camshaft position sensors are on the back of the two heads.
Question 2: There is only one crankshaft position sensor; It's located on the oil pan in the back of the engine on the passenger's side.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Question 1: Statements (1) and (2) are correct; both camshaft position sensors are on the back of the two heads.
Question 2: There is only one crankshaft position sensor; It's located on the oil pan in the back of the engine on the passenger's side.
Thank you so much!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts