Nissan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy ya'll. I'm about ready to do a clutch in my car, which sucks, as it's on it's last leg. I don't want to take it off the road just yet, and we can get a complete kit for $80, so I figure, what the Hell, I'll just do it.

Anyhoo, in looking at my car, I'm worried about taking it apart. I dunno how many of you are from Ontario, but here cars rot out bad. I'm not sure if I started dissasembly if many of the parts if it would ever go back together. Things like shift linkage, or even anything to do with the front suspension, I really dont know if I'm going to break bolts, or parts.

Just by a quick glance, it seems like it might be easier to take the engine out than the transmission. It's an E16i, and it looks like there's about 4" of clearance in front of the engine, so it "should" be able to slide forward to get off the input shaft of the transmission.

Has anyone ever done this? It looks like there's only a few hoses and wires hooked on the motor, and I have to unbolt it from the tranny anyways.

So ya, any help would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,272 Posts
on my 97 I took transmission out. That way coolant, AC and all the connections to engine are undisturbed. You mention rust. your exhaust may be an issue, my 2004 IS300 in 2011 in Texas the exhaust bolts were very rusted.
I understand your reluctance to work on the front suspension.
Good luck.
ps and yes replace it as a kit ! Lesson learned!

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
10,036 Posts
Easiest way is to leave the engine and take the transmission out. Stick with an OEM brand clutch kit, like Valeo or Exedy. I would also replace the diff seals on the transmission while it's out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts