Nissan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of any problems with the 350Z clutch.

I have a 2004 Roadster with only 8,000 miles on it and they are telling me the clutch is gone, flywheel burnt. Doesn't sound like this should have happened?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took car in because when driving it sometimes, Not all times, it seemed to lose power. yes the dealer told me it was the clutch all at the tune of $2600. the clutch was not slipping.

·
FIVE SPEED&FOAM INJECTION
1,541 Posts
How many miles did your car have on it when you got it? Was it a demo or did you get it brand spanking new with like 10 miles on it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
0341TODD said:
How many miles did your car have on it when you got it? Was it a demo or did you get it brand spanking new with like 10 miles on it?

My car was brand spanking new I drove it off the dealers showroom. I dont think it even had 10 miles on it.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
tgunn said:
Took car in because when driving it sometimes, Not all times, it seemed to lose power. yes the dealer told me it was the clutch all at the tune of $2600. the clutch was not slipping.
Sounds like BS to me. Get a 2nd opinion. A totally burnt clutch and flywheel would not put hardly any power to the ground. And slip quite badly when pushed hard in a high gear. Besides, how can they tell the flywheel is burnt if they haven't removed the transmission. Or have they........
Losing power and having a toasty clutch are 2 quite different things.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like BS to me. Get a 2nd opinion. A totally burnt clutch and flywheel would not put hardly any power to the ground. And slip quite badly when pushed hard in a high gear. Besides, how can they tell the flywheel is burnt if they haven't removed the transmission. Or have they........
Losing power and having a toasty clutch at 2 quite different things.

Well they told me it would cost $500 just to look and see what was wrong. After that they called back yesterday to say it was all that I mentioned above and the cost would be $2600.

So, if I get a second opinion now that the car is tore down who would I call. I think something stinks about this whole situation. When did clutches start burning up after one year with only 8,000 miles.

I learned how to drive on a manual car when i was 12 and drove many cars my dad owned (never had a clutch burn) and eventually my own 4 speed so now I'm 48 so I guess I got dumb and forgot how to drive one.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
tgunn said:
Well they told me it would cost $500 just to look and see what was wrong. After that they called back yesterday to say it was all that I mentioned above and the cost would be $2600.

So, if I get a second opinion now that the car is tore down who would I call. I think something stinks about this whole situation. When did clutches start burning up after one year with only 8,000 miles.

I learned how to drive on a manual car when i was 12 and drove many cars my dad owned (never had a clutch burn) and eventually my own 4 speed so now I'm 48 so I guess I got dumb and forgot how to drive one.
Heck I'm over 30 but still drive like something of a maniac and can't burn a clutch down in 8000 miles, so yeah something is very fishy. Sounds like they assumed and tore down your car without even thoroughly checking it out. I hate new car dealerships with a passion, most of their money is made in the repair shop, not on the sales floor. I would demand to see the parts they pulled out. Of course, that's no guarantee they are your parts.....
AT this point a second opinion is worthless, what with it already in pieces. They can always put it back together with a burnt out used clutch and send you on your way......just to prove they were right. If you can afford it, get it done, but make it a point to not ever go back to that dealer again.

·
Power FC Z32
2,147 Posts
tgunn said:

Be honest, has your daughter, son, and/or wife been driving your Z? If so that is why unless you are not telling use how you really drive the Z? :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Spongerider said:
Be honest, has your daughter, son, and/or wife been driving your Z? If so that is why unless you are not telling use how you really drive the Z? :)

Only me and the wife drive it. Actually its her car and she drives just fine.
Bad of you to think only us guys can drive

·
Chupa mi Perro
334 Posts
Spongerider said:
Sounds like a sh!tty dealership to me. I would think they should cover the cost under warranty. Call Nissan USA about it and see what they have to say. Always scares a dealership when the local Nissan rep gives them a call.

·
Power FC Z32
2,147 Posts
tgunn said:
Only me and the wife drive it. Actually its her car and she drives just fine.
Bad of you to think only us guys can drive
:) Ok, you can have them work on the Z but tell them you want to see the parts that they will replace before installing the new parts. This way you can see for yourself if it has high speed glaze on it or not.

Also you might want to check around to see if there are any Z shops in your area that will do your clutch?

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
Spongerider said:
:) Ok, you can have them work on the Z but tell them you want to see the parts that they will replace before installing the new parts. This way you can see for yourself if it has high speed glaze on it or not.
Having worked in the repair industry and knowing exactly what these guys are capable of, that won't do much good either. That clutch being used by several different cars and trucks, they probably have a few burnt out ones laying around. They can just pull one out as exhibit A and return it to it's pile after they've convinced him to spend the money. I worked for several shops that practiced such tactics, it would be even easier for a dealership.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Spongerider said:

Also you might want to check around to see if there are any Z shops in your area that will do your clutch?

What is a high speed glaze??? Not familiar with that term.

·
Banned
3,785 Posts
tgunn said:
What is a high speed glaze??? Not familiar with that term.
Somewhat akin to what happens to your brakes if you ride them all the time. The outer layers heat up and constant overheating causes them to glaze over, become hard and shiny basically. Same thing happens to a clutch if "ridden" or slipped a lot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank YOU ALL

Hey Guys,

Thanks a lot for all the fast response and good advice. They knocked off $500.
I called around and got other dealer quotes on the replacement of a clutch and fly wheel. You all have been very helpful. I pick up the car on Thursday.

One last question, how long did this problem occur to have messed up the clutch? What should I have noticed before now?

·
Registered
4 Posts
YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. A NEW CLUTCH AFTER 8K? I DON'T CARE IF YOU'RE A GREAT CLUTCH DRIVER OR SIT THERE AND BURN THE CLUTCH UP AT EVERY RED LIGHT IN TOWN. I KNOW NISSAN DOESN'T COVER WEAR AND TEAR ITEMS, BUT AFTER ONLY 8K SOMETHING MORE IS WRONG HERE. NISSAN SHOULD COVER THE TOTAL COST. THAT'S WHAT I THINK AND HOPEFULLY IT NEVER HAPPENS TO ME.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
I'm pretty much counting on having to get another flywheel. How tough are they?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts