Nissan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 97 200sx ga16...I think my clutch just went out basiclly what happen when I was speeding down the highway I down shift because an cop was park ahead...my car will not drive forward in either gear (it just rams up ) I need advice on is it the clutch or the gearbox? I was already gonna replacing the clutch,,, I need your input on these clutches which best? Heavy Duty Pressure Plate w/ Street Disc Kit 50% 165lb-ft NX3-HD00 or the Stage 3 - Clutch Kit w/ Solid Hub Race Disc 215 lb-ft SN403. I have minor mods but major mods later in the future.... thanks for the advice.

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
rams up? "an cop" ? "which best" ?

Proper grammar would make your posts easier to read ;)

the Heavy duty plate and street disc is more than enough for what you need right now. And be honest with yourself. Those major mods aren't anytime soon, are they?

·
Registered
8 Posts
What kind of major mods are you talking about? How soon will these mods be done? Because if these mods are far down the road, i would just go with a stock clutch, then upgrade to a better clutch and flywheel.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
sorry for the english grammar problems I don't have an phd in english like you
chimmike but back to the problem and thanks for the advice..I hope I can give you more detail ok here goes..when I place the shifter in any gear and release on the clutch I can press on the gas all the way down and not go no where. Is this an clutch or a gear box problem? Just don't wanna take it to an repair man and get screwed. Major mods will be done in this year I don;t wanna replace the clutch twice. I will have to replace the clutch right, If I get and HS turbo?

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
well it depends on how soon you'd go turbo.

be honest with yourself...are you talking this year, or in 2 years?
what if you can't afford it in a year or two? You'd have this stiff, not very streetable clutch in a car that doesn't need it.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,227 Posts
codom2000 said:
sorry for the english grammar problems I don't have an phd in english like you
chimmike but back to the problem and thanks for the advice..I hope I can give you more detail ok here goes..when I place the shifter in any gear and release on the clutch I can press on the gas all the way down and not go no where. Is this an clutch or a gear box problem? Just don't wanna take it to an repair man and get screwed. Major mods will be done in this year I don;t wanna replace the clutch twice. I will have to replace the clutch right, If I get and HS turbo?
I still am not convinced this is a clutch problem.
If you put it in first and release the clutch is there any noise ?
What happened in more detail, any noise ?
You can engage gear with the engine running ?
Does the car creep forwards if you are very gentle with the clutch ?
I have never had a clutch that slipped that wouldn't move the car at least slowly.
Look underneath and make sure both drive shafts are where they are meant to be.
Good Luck.......

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So guys help me out and yes I was looking at turbo in 2yrs or less...I can afford it at 20bucks/hr but that doesn't mean anything I understand things could happen so will and oem clutch take good care of me if I mod heavy and leave out turbo?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IanH said:
I still am not convinced this is a clutch problem.
If you put it in first and release the clutch is there any noise ?
What happened in more detail, any noise ?
You can engage gear with the engine running ?
Does the car creep forwards if you are very gentle with the clutch ?
I have never had a clutch that slipped that wouldn't move the car at least slowly.
Look underneath and make sure both drive shafts are where they are meant to be.
Good Luck.......
Ok IanH this what happen before I proceeded to stop my car I did hear noise when I was tring to accelerate to come up to the gate (army post check) and I push my rpm to about six or five and I was hardly moving,,,then I begin to smell buring rubber or something buring, after I had my id verfied I crank up my car and placed it in 1st gear,,press on the gas and didn't move no where just my rpms was rising there was no weird noise or nothing at that point..so I pushed my car to the side and thats was it....I double check by shifting to 1st 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th and even reverse still no movement or werid noise. I can even leave it in gear and take my foot off the clutch and it won't shut off (CAR STILL RUNNING) thats what I thought was very strange. I did that in all gears even reverse too.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,227 Posts
codom2000 said:
Ok IanH this what happen before I proceeded to stop my car I did hear noise when I was tring to accelerate to come up to the gate (army post check) and I push my rpm to about six or five and I was hardly moving,,,then I begin to smell buring rubber or something buring, after I had my id verfied I crank up my car and placed it in 1st gear,,press on the gas and didn't move no where just my rpms was rising there was no weird noise or nothing at that point..so I pushed my car to the side and thats was it....I double check by shifting to 1st 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th and even reverse still no movement or werid noise. I can even leave it in gear and take my foot off the clutch and it won't shut off (CAR STILL RUNNING) thats what I thought was very strange. I did that in all gears even reverse too.
Well it certainly sounds to me if the clutch has burnt up pretty good.
I think if we can agree that if the car was moving even if slowly after the problem started that it is not a mechanical breakage. These cellulose clutch linings (cardboard !!!) are not like the old asbestos ones. Finding that out on my GXE, clutch is very weak if slipped at all.
Good Luck.......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts