Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i am thinking of getting a new clutch, becasue now, i cant peel out.. unlike i used to be able too, and it feels like it doesnt want to go anymore, like i can lay on the gas, and it goes "VRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM" yet the car doesnt move like i should. So what are good clutches/bad clutches, what will have a stock feel, with preformance attitude.. what is the sleeper of clutches. lol..

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
To be honest, your stock clutch is the cheapest way to go and should be sufficient for your mods. However, since you've got to replace it anyways, might as well spend a little more for a nice setup. To keep it steetable, I'd stay away from the 4 and 6 puck racing clutches. If you really want to spend money on a good clutch that'll handle your mods and most future mods you might do, get an ACT # NX3-HD00. It handles 165 ft. lbs., provides 50% more clamping force than your stock clutch, and is just a step below those 4 and 6 puck race clutches that you'll want to avoid if your car is a daily driver. Then stick some Motul Gear 300 synthetic tranny grease in there when you fill the tranny back up. If you haven't already, put the ES front and rear mount inserts in while your mounts are loose, and do the shifter bushing as well. I think you'll like the results and you'll only be out about $280 or less for the whole thing if you buy everything right. I plan to do these same things, with a different clutch of course, when I put my clutch in next weekend, assuming I get all the parts in time. Cheapest place I've seen the clutch is at www.importperformanceparts.net for $198, the mount inserts and shifter bushing, about $36 total for those at www.motivational.net and the tranny grease, about $30 at www.pantera.net/motul.html Lucky for you I'd already done all this homework for my clutch, so all you've got to do is the easy part, buy it all and put it in. ;) Take care.

-Rob

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
The clutch engagement should be smooth since it's a stock street disc. It won't be just like stock, but unless you've driven the car with a new clutch in it before you probably won't know the difference, because a new clutch feels so much different regardless. If you've never done a clutch or don't feel comfortable doing it, if you bring all the parts, they should be able to do the whole thing for $300 in labor. The mount inserts should be a big deal since they'll have them loose to take the tranny out anyways, they have to drain the tranny and refill it so that's no big deal if you bring yoru own fluid, and the clutch will install the same as if it were an OEM one. It takes me just shy of a week at work to earn that much money, so I do all my stuff myself, but I feel comfortable doing it as well. It's really easy to do, nothing really tricky about it at all. Probably the trickiest part would be making sure you put the disc on in the right direction and adjusting the cable after the new clutch is in, but like I said, if you don't normally do your own work, then take it in and have it done. Unless you're up for learning, but I'd say get someone who's done them before to help. Almost forgot, you'll want to put a new throw-out bearing in as well, they're not expensive.

·
Registered
500 Posts
You mentioned that ACT clutch disc handles 165 ft/lbs and is just a step below most 4 and 6 puck racing discs. So what if one wanted a clutch that could handle a lot more clamping pressure and power (say it's turbocharged for instance) yet still wanted to keep it streetable. Can one do that? Or is that the price we pay for producing that much power.

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
There's probably some hybrid clutch setups that might do that for you, handle the power, provide the clamping force, yet allow a smooth, street friendly engagement. For instance you could get a certain PP and find a street disc to go with it. I only said it's a step below because there aren't that many ACT clutches that I saw listed for the GA16DE tranny at the particular vendor that I go that info from, the next best clutch was a 6 or 4 puck disc and has a quick engagement and you'd have to feather it all the time to drive on the street, it wouldn't be a pleasant daily driver. There might be other setups, clutch masters, JWT, that offer the combination he's looking for, I just recommended ACT because it's got a good track record with Sentra enthusiasts. Do a little searching around, see what's out there. If turbo is in the plans, put in a differnt clutch at that time, or if it's going to happen in the short term, find the highest clamping force clutch you can buy with a street disc, or build a hybrid. Ask around, see what other turboed GA16DE guys are running on the street.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
Clutch info.

ACT street strip clutch has a VERY stiff pedal feel and it gets worse over time. Although it holds up pretty well to abuse the increased pedal effort did stretch the clutch cable. When the disc wore out I replaced my ACT with the JWT stage 2. It feel JUST like stock in the pedal effort area and grips VERY well. The JWT clutch is significantly more expensive for the stage 2 but the stage 1 is about the same price as the ACT maybe abit more.

·
Destroyer of Engines
561 Posts
I just ordered the JWT stage 1, I wanted to get the stage 2 but didn't really have the money. The stage 1 is around $265 for the pressure plate and disc. The ACT goes for $200-260 but it comes with the release bearing and clutch alignment tool (at least at ptuning.com) as toolapcfan said the cheapest place for the ACT clutch is www.importperformanceparts.net @ $200
I haven't heard any feedback about ipp.net, but I just ordered my flywheel from them, so we'll see.

·
Registered
466 Posts
How much is the JWT stage 2? How much power will the Stage 2 vs. the Stage 1 hold? Do both the stage 1 and stage 2 use stock disk? Where do I purchase them, directy from JWT?

·
Towards Antisocial
592 Posts
hey, let me know how the service is with your flywheel from ipp.net cause I will be ordering an ACT clutch if all go's well. Thanks bro!

·
Destroyer of Engines
561 Posts
hey, let me know how the service is with your flywheel from ipp.net cause I will be ordering an ACT clutch if all go's well. Thanks bro!
Service was good, got the flywheel quickly. The only complaint I have, which is very minor, is the guy had A LOT of trouble understanding me. Maybe it's because he's in NH and I've lived in Texas too long but I had to repeat eveything many times and spell eveything. All this and he still my street name wrong. But other than that everything was great. Good service, great price.

·
Towards Antisocial
592 Posts
NICE!!! Except for the fact that they could have dropped it off to the wrong guy! It's a crap shoot everytime LOL.

·
Towards Antisocial
592 Posts
I emailed toolapcfan but just in case he's gone from the forum for a while, I have a question that pertains...

If I buy the ACT clutch that he recommended earlier in this string, will it come with a throw out bearing, or will I have to purchase one seperately? Is there anything else that I will need to give my mechanic for him to be able to install the clutch? I plan on getting the ES mounts also, but I am talking about parts specifically related to the clutch install. Thanks bro's

1 - 13 of 13 Posts