Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hi i was new to manel tranny it was my first car so first one and NEVER drove one befor so i destroyed a perfectly new clucth by pushing to much gas when it sliped it was going around 9k rpm and it cracked the front timeing cover on the oil pump tunnel so oil was squirting out....after replaceing them all i didnt know about breaking in the new clucth so now that new replacement is haveing problems...now my friend wanted to do burn ruber in my car (almost CLOBER HIM) the clucth slip and instead of stoping he floored the car and i dont know HOW THE HELL THE ENGINE didnt blow up it went off the tach scale...my front cover isnt crack thank god....but now...my clucth is FRYED....i cant go pass 60 mph in 4 th and 5th gear without it sliping and im driveing up hills so i had to put in MORE gas to make it up that hill and it whould slip so about 45 mph with the gas barely half way down if i go further it will slip by the way the speed limited is 65 so im putting my self and other in danger....

so now i am going to buy a new clucth befor doing so what staged should i get i do want a clucth that wont slip like NEVER...that can handle a god load of tourq ...(ok not that much...) i found some staged 2and 3 clucth for between 100-200 bucks on ebay ....and i am going to get a lightwheight flywheel ( i know it wont help me much going up the hill but i dont care i want acelerations) i am looking for around 200 bucks just for hte clucth set i know some flywheels are bout the same price unless someone can proove me WRONG :D...

i whould love to have a turbo in my sentra 96 and i may never get one but if i get a chance i may get one...and if i do what clucth should i have...i did some reashearch about turbos that why i am asking....

now for the break in some clucth on ebay mention that all products must have 500 miles break in....what is that and how do i do that...how should i drive handle the clucth and the gas and such....and if i miss anything let me know...whould like to have a sweet car :D

eBay Motors: Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch 86-99 Nissan Sentra (item 370092438797 end time Oct-31-08 20:05:10 PDT)

eBay Motors: F1 RACING STAGE 3 CLUTCH NISSAN SENTRA/ 200SX/ NX 1.6L (item 400005113093 end time Nov-04-08 16:21:50 PST)

eBay Motors: XTD® STAGE 3 RACING CLUTCH KIT - SENTRA / 200SX 1.6L (item 120325633606 end time Nov-07-08 17:43:36 PST)

those are the one i found so far any comments if you think there no good tell me why and what are the risk factor and such i think i am going to skip the flywheel there no good one on ebays or i am not searching right and i whould like to have a 100 dollar flywheel if not i can live without it...

·
800+ posts
822 Posts
If you're new to driving a manual car with a clutch, a stage 2 or stage 3 clutch is not for you. Most higher stage clutches have very rigid engagements, and can be quite tricky to drive until you get the hang of it. I suggest you get a stock replacement until you get the hang of really driving a manual. As for breaking in a clutch, my philosophy is to wait at least 3 months of daily driving before you go nuts. My brother (a certified Mitsubishi mechanic), however, has a much more reckless philosophy; if it doesn't grab when it is new, it won't ever. Then again, his idea of breaking in an engine is to give it hell (if you built it right, it'll take it, as he says). Go with my technique... it is failsafe.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im not new to the clucth im just saying it was my first car and my first manuel was mentioning the history of me and that car first time i got it i destroyed the clucth replace it and did not do a break in ( drove NUTS right off the bat) so it sliped so i adjust the clucth to the max and it ran better untill my friend got behind the wheel and destroyed it so now it going to be replace again and im prepare to have a diffrent clucth i just need one with really high performance and ill pratice with it im a fast learner and have fast reflexes to narrow my reasearch when a turbo get added people say staged 3 and up so i am going to stick with a staged 3 i gotta order it soon causes dont know how much longer my clutch will last now and it set to the max it a gonner .... by the way it is really cold in my area and i was driveing at night and i was just cruseing at60 in 5th and it slip on a straight way and i didnt even move my gas pedal maby a lil but that causes the road is bouncy...so tommrow based on info i get here and what i found on reashearced going to buy one tuesday or weds...

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
If you think about it a clutch is basically the same as a brake system.
For brake pads Nissan recommends a series of stops from 30 mph, 10 stops I think.
So if you drive normally for a period of time the linings wear so they are flat against the flywheel plate.
I would think a 1000 miles in traffic would be conservative but that's my recommendation.
And any clutch that's slipped to the point of overheating will glaze. You can either replace the clutch or drive very gently, and don't allow the clutch to slip much, and you will wear through the glaze. it takes time but i have done this on one of my old English cars. And BTW this works on glazed brake pads too !!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that interesting didnt know it can.. i understand that it may take some time this will give me more time to do some reasearch befor getting a better clucth system i always wanted a better one ever since my friend mess it up i havent been driveing crazy at all it wont let me so i just cruze and save gas lol...so for the glaze to wear off just gently used it for quite a time ?

knowing my luck when you say for break pads 30mph ten stops is that hard stop or gently stoping ?

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
yes it will wear away, but you must not overheat it and it will slip easily.
I don't think Nissan says how fast to stop.
think about the break in procedure, you are heating the pads by dissipating energy on the high points, they get hot and wear down, and the speed is low enough nothing gets so hot you cant stop. so it doesn't matter how fast you stop, you are just changing the time not the amount of energy dissipated by the brakes.
the energy in the moving car is 4 times at 60 than at 30, at 60 you might not be able to stop safely unless you bed them in.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
got it (about the break pads will keep that inmind when it time to replace mine)....my clucth seems find so my friend is in luck causes i was looking forward to driveing his SUV and take an offroad side trip to work lol .... i think most of the glaze is off and i didnt drive crazy and i didnt skip gears i went through all 5 slowly ( in my town speed limited is 25 and i can reach pass that speed in 1rst and i whould shift to 5th once i reach that speed and cruze) and my clucth is feeling smoother and havent slip since the last time it did.....but i still need some opinions on what company seems legitmaent and if anyone had tryed the ones on ebay i am going to do reasearch this is what i say if i cant find reviews on a company then i should aviod ( i learn the hard way for computers though) i want a staged 3 one when i do future upgrades on my engine and it will be easy when the a good clucth is set in and ready to play with new toys :D ok thank you all

PS something for you guys to laugh at me for....im pretty tired and i just got off work and i have a cold and it really cold and my car was all foged up...i went to the pasenger side to put my stuff away when i notice a silver lineing shineing on my car and i was like WTH is that shiny stuff i look closly and it was a silver trim around my windows and i SWEAR TO GOD I NEVER SEEN IT BEFOR!! i actualy look around the parking lot to make sure if this was my car lol ( i am sure i saw it but NEVER register it there causes i thought my car had no trim cause i have an E (base) sentra i never payed attention and i had this car for about a year...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i sintalled the clucth the machanic tested it out and said it grip great and the pedal was smooth and soft took me some time to get used to but it was no diffrent then the OEM clucth after i replace it i still had to get used to it now my car dosnt jitter unless i made a mistake but realy and smooth engagedment i saw that was the best bang for my bucks the 500 miles break in is up going back to the machanic to make sure the car is happy....

now for my old clucth it was horrible it wasnt glazed at all there was nothing to glazed it was burnt to the crysp one side was running on rivits and the other was so near gone that what kept the car going it dug hard into the flywheel and the presure plate the flywheel was resurface a little just enough to be happy causes it will be torn up and i am planning to get a better flywheel... when it time to replace the clucth again

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
the center plate side next to the clutch pressure plate has less material so it contacts rivets first and you get a warning the clutch is going, the this saves the flywheel from being scored.
your clutch was worn out.
If someone told you this was new I would seriously question this unless its have been continually slipping under a high load for a long time.....
My GA was half worn out at 80K, my Subaru about 3/4 at 105K.
The SE-R is still on its original clutch at 110K....All stock OEM from new.
pleased you have it fixed and like your new clutch. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
what exaxtly you are talking about ? my oem clucth that i just replaced was brand new (was secound replacesment) and my friend destroyed it for trying to do burn out and he put to much gas and he dumpted the clucth and it slip and instead of letting it go he floored and kept flooring it when i got a chance to stop him and it was hiting pass 8k rpm it was a new clucth but not anymore and he never even driveing shotgun in my car anymore

now the staged 3 clucth was the thrid time i replaced the clucth on that car and it will be the last time untill it time for it to go naturaly and im sure it will it doing a great job no sliping at all it tough to make sure your in the right rpm area or you will burn rubber or jitter your car to death (dont know the other keyword when you dont put enough gas in but a lil to much clucth) i found the right area but it tricky so far it been a smooth ride :D

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Wow !!!
Mea culpa
I'm impressed that one xxxx idiot can destroy a clutch that fast !!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea your telling me he never going near my car ever again he even claimes he knew what he was doing and said that the clucth was no good in the first place such a dodo bird but it all good i been wanting a better clucth and i wasnt about to throw a good one away but now it was destroyed i had a reason to buy a new better one lol but still that pissed me off

1 - 13 of 13 Posts