Nissan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guy's I have this load thumping noise on my 96 Sentra that seems to be coming from one of the mounts? It's very strange because it drives very smooth and handles great for a car it's size. What is typical with these car's? I thought the Mount's looked decent when I changed the engine and tranny???
Thanks

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hey Guy's I have this load thumping noise on my 96 Sentra that seems to be coming from one of the mounts? It's very strange because it drives very smooth and handles great for a car it's size. What is typical with these car's? I thought the Mount's looked decent when I changed the engine and tranny???
Thanks
Clunking would make me think it's the timing chain. Does it do it at idle? Does it sound like it's coming from the passengers side? Listen close to the valve cover on that side.

Jason

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
normally a ticking sound is the valvetrain

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No it's not the timing chain. It is some sort of mount not sure which one though??The engine has 40k and relitivly low milage so I will rule the engine out.

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
No it's not the timing chain. It is some sort of mount not sure which one though??The engine has 40k and relitivly low milage so I will rule the engine out.
check your mounts again

Not really and not on these motors/trannys. Noises can be so many different things, I'm just pointed to check the common issues.
No a clunk is usually a motor mount, if your valvetrain is clunking you got MAJOR issues.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,241 Posts
I had a clunking noise going over bumps and suspected the suspension, ball joints etc.
before i could investigate the CV boot let go so i did both outer CV boots, I found a bad wheel bearing, it was not too bad, but had free play.
replaced the wheel bearing, drove it today and the clunking is gone.
So check your wheel bearings as well. ( and its easy to check)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You know Ian I checked all of the suspention and it all seems real tight??> The Cv joints are brand new? It's weird when I drive odown the road the car is silky smooth but when I drive on my gravel driveway it's sounds terrible? I don't know maybe it's the way these cars are when you drive over rough terraine??

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm this can be a possibility I will have to check them out. But wouldn't I here it all the time?? The only time I get the noise is on a rough surface like my gravel driveway.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,241 Posts
You know Ian I checked all of the suspension and it all seems real tight??> The Cv joints are brand new? It's weird when I drive down the road the car is silky smooth but when I drive on my gravel driveway it's sounds terrible? I don't know maybe it's the way these cars are when you drive over rough terrain??
I would never have diagnosed this as a wheel bearing, it only happened on rough surfaces and not smooth.
Previous bad wheel bearings have been noisy, FWD and RWD, and make noise on turns. this didn't do that.
On top of this i tried to buy the spindle assembly from a wrecker yard, and all three passenger side were bad once they took the brakes off.
My Drivers side was fine.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This problem really isn't bad but if I can fix it I would. It's the power production and the performance that kill me. I think I am going to throw this header on and see if I can find a cheap high flow intake and then I might try to install a trans go reprogramming valve body kit. I think the shift kit would do this car a whole lot of good the first to second is quick! To quick but this is for mpg I'm sure...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts