Nissan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
woo-hoo
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey frontier owners...

I just bought my 04 XE CC 4x4 Auto new off the lot in mid-december. When I bought the truck it felt like the auto was shifting a little firm, especially between 1-2. Well I didn't think much of it since the truck only had 50 miles on it and figured it would take a few hundred miles for the truck to brake in. Well now I have 3900 miles on it (just pulled a small uhaul trailer from texas to Reno) and it seems as if it is getting worse. The truck will for the most part will shift smooth but about 30-40% of the time it shifts with a good jolt to the truck which is really noticeable between 1-2 and 3-4! If I'm climbing a hill and it spends a good minute in 3rd it will "slam" into 4th. So last week I took it in for it's first oil change and had them check this problem out. I drop it off and an hour later and they said they couldn't find anything. They said they checked the fluid level and no codes so everything must be okay. After I picked it up I realized it only had 1 mile on it so they must not have even driven it.

Now that I've paid more attention to it, it's "clunkiness" isn't just between gears. It actually will jolt the truck about half of the time when I shift from Reverse-Drive or vise-versa. Also I've noticed some shuttering while coming to a quick stop (like something is pushing me from behind a little bit or bad rotors but I know it isn't that because the brake pedal doesn't pulse). Could this be a "Binding up" Problem??? Like a Bad U-Joint or something. I think the Tranny is fine because it shifts on time and it's not rough all the time. It almost feels as if there is too much movement in the drivetrain or something and it gets worse the longer i'm driving... The most noticeable is when a tire looses traction for a second then regains composure the whole truck will buck around. Surely the frame isn't this loosey goosey becauses it's strecthed a foot. My 03 King Cab Auto would shift as smooth as ice and felt as solid as a rock. Anybody else experience this problem... Apparently I'm going to have to point the Reno Nissan people in another direction, since they can't problem solve themselves! Sorry for the long post...

Later,

·
Registered
15 Posts
black_knight said:
hey frontier owners...

I just bought my 04 XE CC 4x4 Auto new off the lot in mid-december. When I bought the truck it felt like the auto was shifting a little firm, especially between 1-2. Well I didn't think much of it since the truck only had 50 miles on it and figured it would take a few hundred miles for the truck to brake in. Well now I have 3900 miles on it (just pulled a small uhaul trailer from texas to Reno) and it seems as if it is getting worse. The truck will for the most part will shift smooth but about 30-40% of the time it shifts with a good jolt to the truck which is really noticeable between 1-2 and 3-4! If I'm climbing a hill and it spends a good minute in 3rd it will "slam" into 4th. So last week I took it in for it's first oil change and had them check this problem out. I drop it off and an hour later and they said they couldn't find anything. They said they checked the fluid level and no codes so everything must be okay. After I picked it up I realized it only had 1 mile on it so they must not have even driven it.

Now that I've paid more attention to it, it's "clunkiness" isn't just between gears. It actually will jolt the truck about half of the time when I shift from Reverse-Drive or vise-versa. Also I've noticed some shuttering while coming to a quick stop (like something is pushing me from behind a little bit or bad rotors but I know it isn't that because the brake pedal doesn't pulse). Could this be a "Binding up" Problem??? Like a Bad U-Joint or something. I think the Tranny is fine because it shifts on time and it's not rough all the time. It almost feels as if there is too much movement in the drivetrain or something and it gets worse the longer i'm driving... The most noticeable is when a tire looses traction for a second then regains composure the whole truck will buck around. Surely the frame isn't this loosey goosey becauses it's strecthed a foot. My 03 King Cab Auto would shift as smooth as ice and felt as solid as a rock. Anybody else experience this problem... Apparently I'm going to have to point the Reno Nissan people in another direction, since they can't problem solve themselves! Sorry for the long post...

Later,

I have a 04 cc 4x4 shortbed and it seems like it is jerking some when it shifts too. I also noticed it is not as sure footed as my 4x4 ranger was, it slides more in the snow than the ranger and I am hoping it is just those cheap bfg long trails that came on it. While we are on it, I think the cab noise is getting worse too.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Still sounds like the trans to me.

I had some trans problems with my Geo, and I'd get the same "bucking" effect when stopping, although mine would slip between shifts rather than shift too quickly.

Sounds like it could be some kind of internal fluid pressure problem, but how's the fluid level? Any trans break-in procedures in your manual?

·
woo-hoo
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
See I don't have the poor traction or anything... the long trails on mine are actually much better than the Generals on my 03 frontier. That and my cab is pretty quiet except for when the wind catches the roofrack just right. I don't know we'll see...

Later,

·
Registered
347 Posts
black_knight said:
See I don't have the poor traction or anything... the long trails on mine are actually much better than the Generals on my 03 frontier. That and my cab is pretty quiet except for when the wind catches the roofrack just right. I don't know we'll see...

Later,
The 02 and 03 had a problem with assembly and moisture in the gears.
You MAY want to MAKE the Dealer look at the rear end for the same thing.
Because it sure sounds like the pinions are not locked in.
As for tread, I took off the Generals that came on both the X and Fronty and slapped on BRidGeStone Revo's. The X handles completely different and I now have to actually work at it to break the rear loose on the Fronty. Which is Xcellent.
:)
OH, I have 4 Gen's for the 16" rim for SALE... $120.00 If N E 1 wants some good and inexpensive treads..I M around the FW area

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have your torque converter checked out and see if it passes a stall test. Am having mine replaced today on 2001 Fronty SE and starter also is being replaced.

·
woo-hoo
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah maybe it is something like that. I pulled about a 1500-2000 lb trailer and for most of the trip couldn't even keep 65-70 and I got 10 mpg!!!! when I had my 03 I went on a trip with a 2800 lb trailer, had no problem pulling 70 mph and avg. 13.5 mpg... I know this new one is a few hundred lbs heavier but it shouldn't of had that hard of a time pulling it. I hope there isn't something seriously wrong with it????

Later,

·
woo-hoo
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I dropped it off this morning and actually made them ride around with me and acknowledged the problem. I told them to keep it and spend some time with it to figure out what's wrong. They were hesitant about it untill I told them I have my grandpa's escalade to drive around for the week and that I didn't need a rental car... then they were more than happy to keep it and look a little more in depth!!! Go Figure... oh well I'll keep you posted!

Later,

·
Registered
347 Posts
black_knight said:
Well I dropped it off this morning and actually made them ride around with me and acknowledged the problem. I told them to keep it and spend some time with it to figure out what's wrong. They were hesitant about it untill I told them I have my grandpa's escalade to drive around for the week and that I didn't need a rental car... then they were more than happy to keep it and look a little more in depth!!! Go Figure... oh well I'll keep you posted!

Later,
???? Hmmmm. Sounds like that Dealer garage may have had some prior gripes through home office on not taking care of customers. OH, and the Rental car should be free. As it is on O4 and under full warranty.
What, if you do not mind, is the dealer you took it too?

·
woo-hoo
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nissan of Reno is the dealership... they seem to be shiesters up here in the car business. Since Reno is such a small town all the dealers have a "Sierra Market Adjustment." On all the Trucks and SUV's on the Nissan lot have a 2995 mark-up!!!

Later,

·
Registered
347 Posts
black_knight said:
Nissan of Reno is the dealership... they seem to be shiesters up here in the car business. Since Reno is such a small town all the dealers have a "Sierra Market Adjustment." On all the Trucks and SUV's on the Nissan lot have a 2995 mark-up!!!

Later,
That Mark up is high, yet there is a Legit Sierra fee. As the carriers come over 80 and it costs more.
If you have troubles with the Dealer still, Let them know you will be talking to the State Attorney General in Carson City. Reno Nissan is a Syndicate of Nissan dealers. And only has a Mgr running the show, last I knew. The Rep for NISSAN is in the central area of Cali and should come up monthly. So look into that if you are not getting any help.

·
woo-hoo
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the tip... hopefully it won't resort to that but you never know. As far as the "Legit" Sierra Fee it's all B.S. It's all because they are the only dealer with no competition unless the buyer is smart enough to drive 45 minutes to carson city or an hour and a half to Sacremento. All shipping charges are covered in the Destination fee. What they lose on some nissan makes up on others!

Later,

·
Registered
347 Posts
Actually, there is a carrier fee.. And someone does not have to drive to Carson OR Sac. Just go up the hill to Truckee (edit )
Jack owns the Dealerships, yet does not like them enough to not make a deal. And he can get any ride someone wants.
:D

·
woo-hoo
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
where do you live?? you seem to know alot about this area...

·
Registered
347 Posts
black_knight said:
where do you live?? you seem to know alot about this area...
I am in Texas..
As for the AREA.. We, the Famili have been in since the late 20's and 30's.
You more than likely drive by the original family land and homes/bus. still owned and operated. Mostly if you go thru Old Sparks and Reno strip by Safeway/Pink Flamingo.
Alot of my Unlces graduated from Reno High. I myself just used to get on the
bus and get lost downtown or run to the train stations and get in trouble for not going to Kindergarten.. AH, those were the days when the cops knew you by name and Papa would let you know you did wrong. Today, it is just, HELLO SIR how is the family and Can we get you a free drink or would you like a Dinner show on us... They don't even ask if I want to join the all night private parties!!! :rolleyes: Guess my age is showing,,,, Hee Hee :thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts