Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so on my 1997 Pathfinder 4wd, I’ve been hearing a clunk noise from the back of vehicle when accelerating from a stop. Not sure what it could be.

I have new upper and lower control arm bars on the back along with new sway links. The clunk only happens when vehicle starts moving from stop. Other than that no noise over bumps or while driving from what I can tell.

thanks

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,772 Posts
Check out the two universal joints on the drive shaft; there may be excessive play there. Also insure that the rear differential case is full of oil.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I changed diff oil last year after hearing the noise a bit. But still didn’t help.

Should I check universal joints with rear wheels off or on ground? And how do I check the excessive play?

Thank you

·
6,772 Posts
To check excessive lateral movement of the universal joints, jack up the rear of the vehicle as high as possible; place jack stands for safety. To check the rear joint, grasp the drive shaft and try moving it sideways in different directions; then do the same thing to the front joint while holding tight on the piece that goes into the transmission so as not to give a false indication of excessive movement. The universal joints should not show any lateral movement whatsoever.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To check excessive lateral movement of the universal joints, jack up the rear of the vehicle as high as possible; place jack stands for safety. To check the rear joint, grasp the drive shaft and try moving it sideways in different directions; then do the same thing to the front joint while holding tight on the piece that goes into the transmission so as not to give a false indication of excessive movement. The universal joints should not show any lateral movement whatsoever.
I checked out the universal joints on the driveshaft today. The rear joint going into the differential is solid. No movements or noise when trying to move it in any direction.

However, the front of the rear driveshaft going into the transmission is when there is noticeable play. I tried to hold the piece fitting directly into the transmission which is the yoke I believe. Its hard to pinpoint the play directly to that u joint. There does look to be very little play in that universal joint. But the majority of play seems to be from the piece into the transmission and you get a noise with it also. Sounds similar to the clunk noise I get on acceleration from stop.

Front driveshaft, no noise.

·
6,772 Posts
If you're getting excessive lateral play where the front yoke of the drive shaft enters the transfer case, then there may be excessive wear of the bearing inside the tail end of the transfer case or the front yoke is excessively worn.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you're getting excessive lateral play where the front yoke of the drive shaft enters the transfer case, then there may be excessive wear of the bearing inside the tail end of the transfer case or the front yoke is excessively worn.
I can’t seem to find that part to buy. I’ve checked many websites.

I heard of people greasing those yokes but that may only be a short term solution.

·
6,772 Posts
I believe the front yoke is not a replaceable item. If the front yoke is excessively worn, then your options may be to buy a new driveshaft or buy one from a junk yard.

There are kits consisting of a very thin sleeve that fits over the yoke that fixes the problem such as yours. You can look here:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I believe the front yoke is not a replaceable item. If the front yoke is excessively worn, then your options may be to buy a new driveshaft or buy one from a junk yard.

There are kits consisting of a very thin sleeve that fits over the yoke that fixes the problem such as yours. You can look here:

Okay, will check out. Thank you

1 - 9 of 9 Posts