Nissan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guy's anyone out there ever seen a clogged Cat on a 96 vintage Sentra? I have been through just about everything and I am still having problems getting this thing to move out of it's way? The engine is fairly new the timing is on,I have No check engine light's. I think it might be fuel pump related though? It always is tough to start first thing in the Mourning after that it starts fairly easy? I am grasping at straws here guy's? Maybe the cat is plugged? Nah I think it's the fuel pump? I pulled the thing for ha ha's the other day to see if things were plugged and the sock was big time clogged. You would think it would get better? Well it got a bit better but nowhere as good as I had thought it would be? I only owned one other four cylinder car and it was a Mercury Topaz. Well that little car had twice the guts as this one? I think there is something wrong still Help guy's what can be going on here??

·
Registered
485 Posts
Are you having coil issues? Maybe a couple of grounds have gone "vintage". 12 years does add alot of vintage material...

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Coil problems?? I'm not sure what you mean? I have my coil under the distributer,at least that is where I thought it was Lol!!

·
Registered
485 Posts
The coil pack is attached to the head right next to the distributor, At least on mine, Could be part of the issue with power. Have you noticed a smell of rotten eggs after or when you drive the car???? Major sign of clogged cat.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What year is your car? Typically that smell is related to the catalyst operation. Who told you that the coil caused the smell of rotten eggs when it was going bad? I have never heard of this but I concede that I am still learning with the foreign cars.........

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
What year is your car? Typically that smell is related to the catalyst operation. Who told you that the coil caused the smell of rotten eggs when it was going bad? I have never heard of this but I concede that I am still learning with the foreign cars.........
Re-read the last sentence of his post....

If the cat is totally dead it will melt internally. If you can remove the cat hold it up and try to look through it, you should be able to see through it somewhat in that daylight can pass through. Also hook a vacuum up to it (like a shop vac) and if you have decent suction through it it is more than likely OK. Th easiest way to tell is if the cat is totally shot then you will typically throw a CEL do to the rear O2 sensor not cycling properly because of the cat.

Have you replaced/inspected the cap, rotor, plugs, and plug wires? If they have been replaced were they replaced with OEM parts? These motors like OEM parts, cheapo plug wires and plugs have been known to cause many different issues!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see know that is not the issue. In fact I have figured out what was going on! I recently swapped the engine and trans out and the cable that actuates the valve body and fluid to the tourque converter was actually not getting full travel. If you have ever experianced this it will simulate an underpowered situation. Thanks

·
Registered
485 Posts
Wow nice find man. I hate shit like that.

·
Wise Cracker
5,730 Posts
I see know that is not the issue. In fact I have figured out what was going on! I recently swapped the engine and trans out and the cable that actuates the valve body and fluid to the tourque converter was actually not getting full travel. If you have ever experianced this it will simulate an underpowered situation. Thanks
Glad you figured it out! I have never owned a GA16 automatic so I have never experienced this ;)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I have to tell you there was no way I was giving up! It's simply a process of elimination if it's not this it's that and so on. This why I love mechanics I am an HVAC Tech by trade but love cars and this is my very first foreign car. I am out for mpgs,but if I can make the car go a bit better I will! I can't shift gears right now that is the reason for the auto trans. Anyone knows if you are looking for better mpg's and performance the stick is the way to go with one of these little cars! Maybe once I get my knee fixed I will jump into the standard shift game but until then I am stuck with the auto box and the low performance that it offers. I have been thinking about using a trans go reprogram on the valve body to see how much better she shifts. Anyone try this yet??

·
Registered
485 Posts
i think there are a couple people with sr20 autos with a kit. I used to have one in my stealth and man it was a world of difference.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you install it yourself? I was just wondering if there were any special tools required to do the job?? Most guy's are nervous when it comes to do it yourself tranys but I myself say that the only thing that is a problem is the specialized tools. Otherwise they are just nuts and bolts and bands and clutches. If you are a decent mechanic then there should be no problems.........If anyone has done this I would like to here about it........Thanks Ralph

·
Registered
485 Posts
a buddy did mine on my stealth. I was the really nervous guy going man I dont wanna fuck this up...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts