Nissan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is my first post and i did search before i even thought about posting. I came across a thread that had the same type of symptoms that my car is exhibiting. The only thing is, the thread didnt seem to have a resolution to the problem.

My 98 Maxima (auto) has a clicking/ticking sound coming from the front left wheel. I went to a mechanic and he checked the wheel bearings and tie rods for play and everything seemed fine to him. I brought up the CV axel and he said that it could possibly be that so i changed it, and the noise still persists.

It only makes the noise when the vehicle is moving. I have jacked the front end up and ran the wheels and you can hear the noise. So what do i do to fix this problem? The other thread mentioned Solenoids sticking in the valve body in the tranny. How would i fix that?!

Old Thread: http://www.nissanforums.com/a32-1995-1999-chassis/53095-clicking-noise-when-rpms-rising.html

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
178 Posts
My girls chevy cavalier does the same thing. I dont know what causes hers to do that either. I always thought it was probably something to do with the brakes. Her brakes are new but I figured it was just a metal clip rubbing or something. Whatever it is I know its nothing serious and I'm sure your isnt either. It is a bit annoying though and she used to get paranoid that her wheels getting ready to fall off. But thats not so, its nothing serious.
Hope you figure it out. . . maybe then I can make hers stop too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yesterday, after i posted i decided to some more investigating and i believe i narrowed it down to the wheel bearing/hub assembly.

I pulled the wheel, caliper and rotor off then put the car and cycled through all the gears. (R, D, 1, 2) It has to be in that hub, and the only thing i think thats in there is the wheel bearing. (am i correct?)

I did notice that when i changed my cv axel that the inside of the hub was really rusty so that could be it too i guess.

It definitely is annoying, but as long as its nothing serious i can live with it....for now at least.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had to change out a wheel bearing on the left front side at 120000 miles on a 98. If you jack up your car, see if there is some play in the wheel by grabing the top of the tire and pull and push towards you. It seems the back side, or inside of the bearing goes out wearing on the wheel hub. If your hub is still ok, you might get by with a new bearing and seals. The rust is where it all starts. Also, for the clicking, check your dust sheild aroung your brake assembly as it may have gotten bent and hitting on the rotor as it spins.
Lyle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was the wheel bearing. It was NOT the easiest thing ive done...but i got it done.

I only paid 35 dollars for the wheel bearing, and 30 to rent some tools from autozone. It was pretty difficult without a press hehe, but it can be done

1 - 5 of 5 Posts