Nissan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I make a left turn, my suspension makes a clicking or popping sort of sound originating from the front passenger tire. Worn CV joint? What happens if the joint fails totally? Sorry for being such a noob. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,236 Posts
Sounds like its a CV jiont.
If it fails? you dont get home !!!
if axle comes adrift it could cause a lot of damage !!

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Inspect the boot, if there is grease everywhere, inside the wheel, inside in fender liner, on the suspension arm and joints, black stuff, then boot tore and joint is now shot (because its now noisy.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What part would I actually need to get to replace this? I read somewhere the joint is its own assembly like most cars, but rather, part of the axle.

Also, any guess how many mile I can get out of a bad cv joint?

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
well if you must run it for a while you can get many miles, your milage will vary as they say.
The joint can be replaced separately, but its a pain.
Even with a slide hammer i couldn't get mine off on the car, had to remove the axle and put in my big vice and drift it off with a drift and large hammer.
So why not get the whole re-built axle for about $65 from your local autoparts.
add transmission Oil and you are set.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i recently did this. CV shaft turned out to be bad on the driver side. i denied it because the boot wasnt busted and put struts on the car (they were shot anyway) and it still did it so im like.. engine mount. then got to thinking it only did it when turning and accel and the vehicle was pulling to the left (side cv was bad) so i replaced the joint and i could PULL out the CV joint and twist and dislocate the CV.. i was very lucky. note::: they CAN go bad w/o boots being busted

1 - 7 of 7 Posts