Nissan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I have a 96 200SX SE (ga16de) with around 170k on the clock. I just noticed recently after I changed the oil I happened to notice that I could hear a clicking noise turning the wheel when the car was sitting still. It only makes it turning the wheel when the car is stopped, not when it is moving. I haven't heard it moving. (maybe it isn't loud enough???) Wander if it could be a tie rod or CV joint??? Or just something rattling?? Or maybe the PS pump??? IDK

I had the driver side half shaft completely replaced last summer. (Is was barely more expensive than replacing the boots and joints) So to be precise, I turn the wheel with the car sitting still form lock to lock and hear a clicking noise. That is about the best description I can make. I also sounds like its coming from near the tire.

Let me know what you guys think

Thanks

· Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,298 Posts
I don't have an answer but wonder if its the tires moving on the ground. try it on a different surface? BTW I was always taught not to swing the wheel lock to lock when stationary.

· Registered
104 Posts
personally sounds like a cv joint....have someone(auto smart) outside the vehicle put their ear kinda close to the wheel and go forward in straight line slowly and then kinda turn it around, best place is like a big empty parking lot or if u have a big flat surface.....but jsut listen, 9 times out of 10 jsut listening can give u a pretty good shade-tree diagnostic....but if u cant hear it moving...tat kinda points to powersteering...also have that person listen under teh hood while u turn bcak and forth while not moving....anything sounds bad replace it!

· Registered
3 Posts
It might be the CV joints, but I thought that was my problem as well. It turns out, I need to replace the upper strut plate. The spring it twisting, causing a slight shifting in the plate. That's what my problem was, might want to check that as well.

· Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,298 Posts
Thats a really good point, it makes sense since the noise is when not moving.
I don't think the CV's should make noise unless you are moving AND If the CV's are shot they will make clicking noise turning while moving, and usually the boots are torn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.