Nissan Forum banner
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

· Boost anyone?
1,975 Posts
Well, assuming you got it painted at a shop, you have to specify that the bumper is urethane. They then SHOULD use paint specifically for urethane. Its a little more expensive but its worth it.

Also, i can get you some side skirts and a rear bumper. Check out my site and/or hit me up for details.

· Registered
40 Posts
you dont get "urethane" paint. Its how its preped that matters.

Urethane kits need to be baked first to get all the residue off from the mold making process. Then prep, then paint. An additive must be used to the paint to keep it flexible. This is how paint keeps from chipping on urethane.

· Boost anyone?
1,975 Posts
I didnt say there was a "urethane paint". I just said that you have to specify that your bumper is urethane and they will know what kind of paint to use.

Read and think before you post and try to put make me look dumb.

· Registered
40 Posts
Teknokid said:
Well, assuming you got it painted at a shop, you have to specify that the bumper is urethane. They then SHOULD use paint specifically for urethane. Its a little more expensive but its worth it.

Also, i can get you some side skirts and a rear bumper. Check out my site and/or hit me up for details.

maybe you should read your own post and then come and work at my shop for a while....

"...paint specifically for urethane."

· Boost anyone?
1,975 Posts
An additive must be used to the paint to keep it flexible.
Now do you add this additive to paint used on regular fiberglass?? If you dont then wouldnt it be considered "urethane paint"?? Im not saying thats what its called but so you understand what im saying. And i never once said it was urethane paint.

If i go to a shop, and tell them its a fiberglass bumper they would use regular paint right? If i tell them its a urethane, then they prep it like you said and use the paint with the additive to keep it flexible. That is all i meant by what i said earlier.

· Registered
180 Posts
baldylox said:
you dont get "urethane" paint. Its how its preped that matters.

Urethane kits need to be baked first to get all the residue off from the mold making process. Then prep, then paint. An additive must be used to the paint to keep it flexible. This is how paint keeps from chipping on urethane.

I dont know what body shop your going to... I have worked in my grandfathers body shop for almost a year now and have never baked urethane or mixed paint differently!!!!! And there is a certan type of paint that you use!!!! the only manufacture that makes real urethane paint is The House Of Kolor they make there paints spesificaly for costom paint and body work!!

· Registered
40 Posts
seems we all have different ways of preping and painting cars. I've always baked (out gasing) the urethane parts. Makes it so much easier for everything to stick when all the mold realease is off the parts.

I mostly use a clear Elestic Primer to be exact. Although we have added and do add flex agents to regular paints if needed. I asked one of the painters last night and I admit a little wrong on my part. Yes HOK does have urethane paints, but we dont use them much, but we may now. Guess I will have to call and see the cost difference and savings to my customers. Should be insignificant since most of the time is prepping any how.

So my apologies to anyone I made feel dumb, including myself. I'm a shop owner, who obviously has found out he doesn't know "everything"
:(

61 - 71 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.