Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to know if any of you have the coil overs installed? I dont really care how good it rides, the rougher the better actually. I want to be able to rally as well as autox. I plan on stipping the interior etc..... this is going to be my weekend street car. I am wondering which coil overs you would recommend? Thank you in advance........Joshua

·
Registered
547 Posts
Ground Control are the best. You've probably heard that like 80 times right now. It would ride pretty good and would be nice and stiff and adjustable. Ground Control and KYB AGX Adjustable Gas struts are the best combo for the buck. I'm sure someone else will tell you the same.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool, Ive seen alot of others like drop zone and such for like $120. I didnt know if they were any good. Id hate to be haulin and have one bust out. Im trying to get all my suspension work done before anything else.(although currently shaved) antena,fuel door,side moldings,all except front nissan emblem,grooves in bumper covers,wipers,that ugly black plastic thingy below the wipers,Id really like to shave the tail lights and put in LEDs.....Unless you are a Nissan Enthusiast, hopefully you wont know what it is!....Thanks for the info.............Joshua:confused:

·
Registered
547 Posts
My Dropzone's are decent. A rough ride just like any other coilover though. I think in the Spring I'm going to change to KYB AGX and Eibach ProKit OR Suspension Techniques Sport springs. Either one of those. Hoping for a better ride since I doubt I'll change the height of my car anyways.

·
Registered
62 Posts
ok heres the real deal. if you want a coilover yuor asking to spend like 1400 on it. Progress and motivational are in that ballpark. this is a full coilover setup and the struts are shortened to increase wheel travel on a lowered car.

NOW, a coilover sleeve and a strut setup will run you about 800. I wouldnt get anything besides agx's and g/c.

there IS a diffrence between a coilover and a coilover sleeve. i just cant stand when ppl confuse them

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there IS a diffrence between a coilover and a coilover sleeve. i just cant stand when ppl confuse them Uh, okay. Then the next time I want to post something, I will run it through your mailbox first.....And I cant stand it when people are all grown up and still dont capitalize the Letter (I) when its all by itself.......Joshua

·
Registered
547 Posts
People call GC coilovers because how many people do you know of that have a FULL coilover setup? I've never met one person. And I call them Coilover setups, not just coilovers. The main difference between them is the price...$$$.

blair - What kind of suspension setup do you have? AGX/GC?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Guys guys guys......

Ground Control coilovers are indeed coilovers. There is alway more than one way to skin a cat. Some dampers are sold configued specifically to use a sleeve. Some have threaded bodies. Some are just plain ol' dampers that people install sleeves on. They are still coilovers. Damn, if you really want to get truly technical, a typical McPherson strut such as on our cars is a coilover. Don't create petty little definitions that are not real.

Typically what is defined as a coilover is a damper/spring set-up that uses standard race springs, e.g. 2.5" diameter or 2.25" diameter that can be used interchangably. It's a bonus if you get an adjustable perch (virtually all coilovers today have this). Whether the damper body is threaded or uses a sleeve doesn't matter a tinkers damn, except perhaps heat dissipation.

You can get all giddy about Tien threaded body dampers or ADS threaded body dampers (ADS also configures them to use sleeves so they are SCCA ITS legal) or what have you. But, the best non-remote reservoir dampers around (Koni 2817) can be configured with a threaded body or not.

Koni sells sleeved coilover set-ups as well and anybody would be foolish to question Koni's technical prowess.

·
Registered
185 Posts
b13sentra said:
I am wanting to know if any of you have the coil overs installed? I dont really care how good it rides, the rougher the better actually. I want to be able to rally as well as autox. I plan on stipping the interior etc..... this is going to be my weekend street car. I am wondering which coil overs you would recommend? Thank you in advance........Joshua
Joshua, you have some homework still to do. An autocross set-up is drastically different from a rally set-up. If you want to buy one suspension set-up, you need to decide which you want to do right now. That's not to say you cannot do both, but you damned sure cannot do both well with a single set-up.

So, which do you prefer to do well and which do you not mind having a sucky set-up for? You see, an autocross suspension has a relatively limited suspension travel while a rally car has to have tremendous suspension travel. Spring rates are very different and damper requirements are very different. While you can use dampers for autocross, HPDE, and even road racing that are the same with reasonable success, a rally damper is a different animal entirely.

So, you need to ask yourself some questions.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Id like to say that Blair is a prick. Next, the whole rally, auto X with one set up was figuratively speaking. Street racing, going to the grocery store=down low....Going on a trip from Texas to Collorado, very rough and bumpy=raised up. Not quite as technichal as your post, are you following? Lots of good info though. (thank you for the schooling) I know that ground control are coil overs. Nuff said. Other than blair's a prick. And, this post is kinda old, I think your beating the dead horse again.........Joshua

·
Registered
185 Posts
b13sentra said:
Other than blair's a prick. And, this post is kinda old, I think your beating the dead horse again.........Joshua
Huh? Am I being dissed after all this?

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Josh, I just got my Coilovers put on my B13 and I love it. I have Arospeed Coilovers with KYB GR2 Shocks The ride is great no major bouncing. The Drop makes the car look soo much better. Arospeeds are not bad at all especially with the KYB shocks. I will be posting up pictures soon on my website, you can check it out with regulard drop zone springs. http://members.cardomain.com/o2raw683

1 - 14 of 14 Posts