Nissan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ghetto CAI

I built myself a CAI intake this weekend. Made a noticeable difference. It isn't the prettiest CAI or the best flowing, but it works. I took some bendable aluminum piping and attached it with a 3.5" O-ring clamp to the MAF. I then cut a hole down to the fender well where I dropped the hose into and attached my K&N style cone filter to the hose with another clamp. I'm sure it doesn't flow as well as it should with all the bumps in the piping. But hey, the piping was given to me by my best friend. He bought $8 worth of piping and used some for himself and gave me the rest. All in all it only cost me $40 for the filter and clamps. I do plan on building a better flowing CAI once I have the money for the silicone connectors and and smooth mandrel bent piping. I'll post some pics of my ghetto intake as soon as I can find my brother's digital camera.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Whatever works man I got instructions to make a CAI, but never dared to do it because I would probably mess it up, but that's cool maybe I'll give it a shot since I am too broke to buy a manufactured CAI:D

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
Hey homemade CAI is the only way to go. I can afford a prefabbed one but I refuse to buy one. When you can buy one for a civic at auto zone for around $30, there's no reason to be charging $200+ for one for our cars. So fuck 'em. I got a MAF adapter and cone filter for $25 shipped off of ebay, and the mandrel bent steel piping will cost me all of $15, and the fittings shouldn't be too terrible. I still have the one I made for my '93 XE all boxed up. Someone was supposed to buy it but you know how that goes. I only did the MAF to filter piping. If I still had a lowport, I'd finish the other half and sell it. I'll sell what I have done if anyone wants it. Included is a large length of the leftover piping that you can use to make the MAF to TB piping, as well as a couple of rubber connectors. Just drop me a mail or a PM if you're interested.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
How has everyone done the rear half of the intake? (The part with all the vacuum tubes) My best friend wants to build the rear section (as well as myself), but we're not sure how to go about connecting the lines.

nissandriven said:
Whatever works man I got instructions to make a CAI, but never dared to do it because I would probably mess it up, but that's cool maybe I'll give it a shot since I am too broke to buy a manufactured CAI:D
It's not all that hard to do. The hardest parts I found were getting those buttons off of the fender well liner and cutting the hole for the intake to go down through. But that's nothing a pair of tin-snips and pliers, or preferably something like a dremmel tool (which will yield the better look) can fix. Go for it!

·
freakish poster
1,236 Posts
DIY Mandrel bends?

How do you know how much and what angle you want? Unless you have a bending machine in your garage and you trial and error it, otherwise do you run down to the muffler shop and have them do it? And where do you buy the piping?

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
No the madrel bends aren't DIY. You buy a 180* U-bend of exhaust pipe and you can cut the pipe where you want to get the angles you need. For the rear half, most people weld short tubes on, but if you don't have a welder and want to save money there, you could buy threaded brass nipples and thread them into the hole you drill. Then use some JB weld around the seam to make sure you've got a tight seal.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JB Weld to the rescue! I think we can handle that much.

I've heard of people buying silicone connectors and smooth aluminum piping from Home Depot for their intakes. I believe that those connectors are available in a mandrel bend. Either that or the piping might be. Worth checking out...

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
I've never seem aluminum piping at Home Depot, if you find it let me know, same goes for silicone connectors. However, I've heard of guys fabbing up intake piping out of galvanized fence post from Home Depot and using Silicone couplers bought elsewhere. You can buy rubber plumbing fittings that work well for DIY CAI's and other intake piping. That's how I did mines. Here's what my DIY that I had on my '93 XE looks like along with that extra length of piping to be used to finish off the TB to MAF piping. The white (on the pipe, the white in the bottom left is my wife's grand am smashing into a refrigerator box) is a collar of PVC to bring the piping O.D. to 3" so the filter will tighten down nicely. For sale by the way. ;)

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will the rear-section fit on my 95 200? How much are you asking?

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
Here are a few pics of my home-made Cai.

I baught the mandrel bent piping from a buddy's muffler shop. Baught one 90* and another 45*. Cut pipe to size. Welded on the conectors for the hoses. Painted with ceramic engine paint.
Got the pipe couplers at Home Depot. Cost me about fifty bucks.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like I need to take some welding classes and get a welder. The college a couple blocks away from me is supposed to have one of the best auto welding classes in Dallas. Too bad I don't have the money for those type of toys. ;)

·
Your electrical friend
2,177 Posts
You can pick up a nice little MIG welder for anywhere between $100-$400 depending on what you buy. The short piece with the two bubber fittings goes from the MAF to the bent pipe which goes next to your battery down through a hole. The unfinished rear half will be prefect to hook up to your GA TB and run to your MAF. You'll just need a couple more couplings. The large coupling on there steps up so that you can drill the rivets out on your OEM airbox plate that the MAF bolts to. Then you just put the fitting on that. If you have a MAF adapter then the fitting will have to be changed out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I NEED HELP???? IF ANYONE HAS THE INSTRUCTION HOW YOU MAKE A CAI, CAN YOU E-MAIL ME THE INSTRUCTIONS. MY E-MAIL IS [email protected]

I THROUGHT ABOUT DOING IT WITH SOME aluminum PIPPING BUT I THINK I WILL NOT WORK! AND HOW ARE YOU GOING TO HOOK THE FRONT PART OF THE CAI????

·
NF's Offical Post Whore
1,972 Posts
has anybody had there homemade CAI dynoed? Just wanna see if it would be worth the extra money and get the real deal.

·
Registered
145 Posts
do ya have to.

As i look at posts about CAIs, I wonder why you have to make a new piece to go from the TB to the MAF. Couldn't you just make piping from the MAF down through a bigger fender hole and attach a cone filter. Not pretty but very functional. Pablo

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's reccomended for squeezing that last bit of power out of your intake. The rubber hosing that is between the TB and MAF is still quite restrictive. If you want to see the most power out of your intake, then yes you have to. As for how much extra power you will gain, I'm not sure. Maybe a few HP. But if you think about it , it doesn't make much sense to free up half the intake, and leave the other half restrictive...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts