Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Check out this e-mail I got from Hot Shot about turbo kit!

A long(over a year as you can see) time ago I sent HS an e-mail asking about a full exhaust for Sentras, I got this today.

on 5/6/01 8:43 PM, Patrick at [email protected] wrote:

When will your full exhaust sytem be availible for the sentra/200sx 1.6L? will you be offering it in 3 inch? If so how much will the 3" system be.I know the system is designed for the 200sx. Will I be able to fit it on my Sentra by making it longer? Will it fit around the Beam axle in the Sentra? I am willing to modify the system to make it fit around the beam if it is possible.Finally, my car is lowered 2" using Eibach Sportline springs, will that cause a major problem around the beam axle? I am very interested in this product and I am getting ready to buy an exhaust for my car, I would very much like it to be yours.

Thank you,
Patrick Scott.

Thank you for your interest in Hotshot Performance. We are please to announce that our Nissan 1.6 turbo for ALL YEARS has been completed, adding 280hp and 20+ psi, at 7lbs of boost. It is a straight bolt-on system, no modifications are needed and you retain your emissions.

(you can check out our dyno sheet and pictures on our web-site www.hotshot.com)

Stage II is now available and we are currently completing Stage I (without intercooler) and Stage III (bigger turbo and injectors)

Pricing includes US ground shipping.

Thank you for your patience.

Martha

Stage II.-

You can purchase this system two ways. Complete for $3,434.00 which includes the following:

T-28 Turbo for with waste gate
Front mount intercooler
Overzised factory injectors
Boost gauge
Oil pressure gauge
Gauge pod
Blow off valve
Hotshot turbo manifold with CNC flanges (includes EGR fitting)
Hotshot Intercooler piping
Downpipe from exhaust to turbo
MAF adapter plate
Mounting brackets
Installation kit (all silicon couplers, hoses, stainless steel brackets, stainless steel oil line)

* Requires Jim Wolf Technology ECU (ECU not included with kit)

OR, you can purchase our Hotshot components only for $1,379.00 which includes the following:

Hotshot turbo manifold with CNC flanges (includes EGR fitting)
Hotshot Intercooler piping
Downpipe from exhaust to turbo
MAF adapter plate
Mounting brackets
Installation kit (all silicon couplers, hoses, stainless steel brackets, stainless steel oil line)

* Requires Jim Wolf Technology ECU (ECU not included with kit)

Do you guys remember my post about HS's hp claims on their website??? Look again at the second sentence of their relply to me

" We are please to announce that our Nissan 1.6 turbo for ALL YEARS has been completed, adding 280hp and 20+ psi, at 7lbs of boost."

So it ADDS 280hp and 20+psi, all at 7psi of boost. Cool trick I wonder how they do that :) Anyway I realize there is a mistake and just thought it was funny

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am kinda interested in the kit of only HS's stuff. Then adding the parts I want to that. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
143 Posts
i think thats a good deal if you can find a good and affordable turbo and intercooler...

·
Destroyer of Engines
561 Posts
Also if you notice in your post it says
Stage II.-

You can purchase this system two ways. Complete for $3,434.00 which includes the following:
But on the website stage II costs $3134, where does the extra $300 come from?

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Arsenal200SX,

Not only would you need the turbo and IC, but Injectors, gauges, and BOV. I still think its a good idea for them to offer the kit this way, it gives us options. Like say if you wanted different(non-Nissan) injectors, different turbo(for whatever reason),of a larger/better IC. In my case I have all but the boost gage(and then some), and with these options I would reaserch turbo alternitives to see if I could find something better than what they offer(if possible). Not that I am a big fan of used parts like turbos, but if the right deal came along, one could save themselves some money.

aminidab,

I dont know where the $300 comes frome. Anyone else??

·
Registered
475 Posts
Personally I can't justify spending $3,434.00 on a turbo for a GA16DE then an extra $500 for JWT ECU. First of all you will need stronger connecting rods and pistons not to mention the cylinder walls in the GA16 are thinner than the SR20 which was mad to handle turbo.
IMO I'd swap the GA16DE for a SR20DET for about the same price, plus you'll have a lot better engine although you have to get a new transmission, motor mounts, wiring harness, ECU from SR20 or JWT and a few other things. I'm not here to put out your hopes and dreams, I own a GA16 as well and see it's potential but a turbo on this engine seems dangerous and expensive.

Check out this SR20DET Dyno run, it's pretty cool [NOTE: it's 11MB download but worth it]

http://www.gtrcentral.com/movies/data/other/SR20_JT_Dyno.mpg
Full page:
http://www.gtrcentral.com/movies/data/other/default.asp

Greg

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
95 SentraB13 said:
Personally I can't justify spending $3,434.00 on a turbo for a GA16DE then an extra $500 for JWT ECU. First of all you will need stronger connecting rods and pistons not to mention the cylinder walls in the GA16 are thinner than the SR20 which was mad to handle turbo.
IMO I'd swap the GA16DE for a SR20DET for about the same price, plus you'll have a lot better engine although you have to get a new transmission, motor mounts, wiring harness, ECU from SR20 or JWT and a few other things. I'm not here to put out your hopes and dreams, I own a GA16 as well and see it's potential but a turbo on this engine seems dangerous and expensive.
Thank you. Finally someone who sees this from my POV. I was getting yelled at for telling people this same thing. People are talking about slapping this bitch on and pushing minimal boost (not worth the money). They want to be like Chef yet they don't realize that chef has rebuilt the engine dozens of times and propably put a few G's into strengthening the internals before he even attempted putting on his custom turbo. I think he can run 20psi. and over 210hp at the wheels.

·
in^3,N20,RPM,PSI
4,652 Posts
95 SentraB13 said:
Greg
So far I have not spent 3400 bucks... In fact I've spent like 1700 so far and I have everything except the BOV and ecu upgraded. I even have the gauges and a seperate ECU! I'm guessing all together I'm only going to be putting in 2700 on it. Now you can't say that you can put an SR20DET in for that amount...

What is "worth it" though? I mean you can say this isn't worth it and that isn't worth the money, in the end it's your car and you do what you want to it. Sure I thought about the SR20DET but to me, I want to keep the 1.6, I donj't want to pay someone for HP. Hell if you ask anyone on the street they'd tell you none of it is worth it and leave your car alone.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I totally agree James, but that wasn't the intention of my previous reply of modding your engine. It's about spending about $4000 for a turbo then have to go and upgrade internal components to keep them from busting to pieces. How much more will that cost, I don't know?

As for just modding the GA16DE I'm all for it. I don't have anything done to mine yet but have big plans like most people here. As far as a Turbo is concerned, it seems to risky and expensive to me using the GA16DE as a base. I'm sure everyone would love to have a turbo or a SR20DET as you see so many people swapping engines (Nissan, Honda, etc.) but you have to wonder where all these people get the money. As for $4000 for the swap, in some respects it's worth it if you have an unlimited budget. I've seen some people spend $5000-$10000 on a swap. Crazy? Yes, since they could be on their way to a new car. But with a new car comes more modification and more money. Either way you can't get ahead.
I got a quote from a SR20DET dealer and he said it would cost a minimum of $3500 US and then I would still need the ECU and other parts. As for the transmission, I think that was included. I also understand the trouble of installing a DET in a GA16DE based B13 and what is required. In either instance whether it's a Turbo upgrade or DET swap, I have no intentions right now especially when the timing chain plastic guides are broke and will cost $800 CND to fix.

My opinion of course,
Greg

·
Registered
351 Posts
if only they would repsond to any of my emails sent to them begging for a response for couple years now... :rolleyes:

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dont want you guys to think I am dissing your opinoins here, but here is mine.. A DET swap into a GA powered car would cost you way more than this kit for a couple of resons. When you guys say DET swap do you mean from a BlueBird, if so you will need to buy a tranny, yes one may be included but its a BB tranny and if wont work in a FWD car. No... wait I am not gonna go into all of this.. Trust me a properly done GA to SR DET swap can cost you lots more money.. If you are talking about converting a NA SR to turbo then putting it in I will cost you even more, cuz you still have to buy a turbo kit for it. How many people(car owners) have you talked to that have done the swap? From your lack of info I would say none. Get ahold of a few and talk to them about all of the headaches and money that it takes to do it.

You guys say that boosting a GA is dangerous... how do you know, have you done it? Chef may have a monster GA, but we have no real idea what he has done to it, on the other hand we know EVERYTHING about Mikes car. Because of Mike's hard work and the fact that he is sharing every little experence with the project we can finally know what the GA is capable of. Untill Mike's car is done how can we be sure of what will happen? For those of you that say we will need new internals... Mike hasent touched his internals yet.. How can you say that they are needed when we have proof that a GA has been boosted with out opening it up.

Who said we wanted to be like Chef???? If we wanted to be like Chef then we would not have even waited for HS to make the kit, we would have had Turbo GAs long before now.. Most of want an easy bolt on mod that is gonna give us one hell of a boost(bad pun) compared to all of the other bolt-ons out there. And yes most of us who have been looking into turboing our GA know what Chef has been through.. If we didnt relize it, we would have already put a turbo on our cars and blown it up. Come on give us some credit we are not that stupid..

I feel a sense of deja-vu with the stuff we are talking about here. Its all be said before, seems like some people never get it no matter how many times you tell them. What the hell maybe I get through this time...

A SRDET swap into a GA powered car is gonna be WAY more expensive and time consuming than the HS kit, but you get what you pay for.. around 200hp for 3 grand or around 500hp for around twice that

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whoa.. I never intended to flame.

This is going to be my last statements on the GA turbo vs. SR swap debate. There may be some flamage here.

For you GA turbo nay-sayers while your car is in the shop for a month(s) geting a SR swap done, we will be boosting around town happily by the end of a weekend.

My wallet is gonna be a lot thinker than yours when I get done.

I wont have to worry that a shop did a shitty motor swap job and something will go wrong down the road.

If boosting the GA is such a stupid idea.. do you really think intelegent people like Mike K, Mike Y and others would waste their time and money with it?

Dont talk about what the GA can and cant do, or what it can and cant handle. You havent done it so dont ASSume about it.

I think thats enough for now.

Fire-starters sarcasim for the day: All you guys talking about swapping a SR into a GA car becasue you think the GA cant handle a turbo or its a waste of money are just as lame as the guys boosting their GAs. Get real car that drives the right set of wheels and has a real motor, or can you not handle it.

·
Please Shift Here
6,696 Posts
First of all I don't think it's a bad idea to boost a GA16, I like the fact that it's unique. I just want some power. You're buying a turbo kit that can handle some major power but you're going to find limits to that. I know that when you have that turbo working, you're going to be happy as fuck, but like anyone, you're going to want more power after some time, the excitement will wear off. By the time you're ready to crank the boost, you're going to be reaching into that wallet (Which is fatter than Mine) and you're going to be upgrading the crank, rods, pistons, gaskets, tranny and so on. I like the SR20, that thing's a beast with some pretty high limits. Two reasons I would go with the DET swap than the kit are:
1. I want to have a fast MoFing car. The GA16 Has some great potential, but I want a 2.0 straight and simple. If I got a chance to go back and do it again, I would have held out to find a SR20 powered sentra or 200sx (maybe even a 240 ka24 would be fine).
2. If I decided to keep the GA16 and go turbo, I would have to do an tranny swap anyway. I have an auto and I'm going crazy I would much rather drive a 5 speed. The cost of an auto to manual swap plus the cost of a turbo and all the acessories to along with it would be about the same amount to go all out and get the SR20.

BTW, I doubt an engine swap would take that long. I've done alot of the homework on how to swap and what to look out for plus I have some friends that know alot of stuff on this too, one who has rebuilt a jap spec integra type R completely and one who's done some swaps already. With all the parts, I could probably get the thing moving in a few weeks.

Believe me, some things are worth waiting for. WES just got his car back after a long time of having his heads and intake manifold redone not to mention getting just about the first set of GA16 cams and having his ECU sent in for reprograming.

We have 2 different point of views on alot of these topics and it's starting to piss me off trying to argue with everyone on what I should do to my car.

·
ex-Super *********
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes we do have 2 differeing POVs, and thats ok. Dont argure about others what to do you YOUR car. Its yours do what you want, thats what i say. I hear your noise about wanting a 2.0. I too thought about that swap, but I just dont have the time to do and I would rather start simple instead of jumping into a project like that(I do all my own work). If you want to swap a 2.0 into your car, go for it. thats cool. and i wish you the best of luck. In the end you would have a faster car than me, but i am sure i will be happy with what ever i end up with. I guess what got me the most was the fact that you were dising all the hard work of some peeps by some of the things that you said. i know you probly didnt even know it at the time, but its stuff like that that can ruing a good thing

It seems once again I have lived up to my rep as being the fire starter supreme lol

·
Registered
475 Posts
I guess for me, the idea of a turbo is less appealing due to the main fact that there is 197,000 Kms (116,845 miles) on the engine which is a lot for this region considering the harsh winters and mild summers...I'll just say things don't stay new as long. The outer layers of the engine are rusting and flaking off (3mm thick) and the car have not received proper maintenance, going longer than 10,000 Kms between oil changes.
Also, we are talking about US prices. Living in Newfoundland, being isolated from the rest of Canada and NA is a big disadvantage. Parts are not available, there are very few B13 Sentra's around and almost no B14's. I have to pay US/ CDN exchange rates on products from the US. $3500 US for a Turbo, $650 US for the ECU and then the new fuel injectors will set me back $7000 CDN. The only thing on my mind right now is getting a new engine since I need $800 work done anyway. A new GA16DE will cost around $1400 CDN shipping included from Ontario or Mainland Canada. That same engine in the US sells for what, around $500 if that. As you can see, price is a major issue in Newfoundland or any part of Canada.

I wish I had all the support, knowledge, experience and availability of performance parts that you guys have. I'm trying to learn as much as I can during the past few months that I have been interested in cars. It's only been since April 02 where a local group has formed, NFImports.net, and has really sparked my interest. I will be the first to admit that I am not certain what a turbo will do on a GA16. I read somewhere that a stock GA16 may not be able to handle the same stresses as the SR20. This is not speculation by me but by someone else. I have great respect for all you guys like Mike who have the same love and ambition for the GA16DE. I know how you feel but perhaps I'm 10 years too late. The only experience I get is from reading what you guys do. If Mike on this site is the same Mike Kojima from Sentra.net I cannot thank you enough for all the info you provided me with.

We purchased our '95 Sentra B13 when I was 13. Back then it was just a car, a small 2 door car that we all hated. My 3 brothers, sister and their friends sh*t hauled it. It wasn't until 2 years ago and really in the past 6 months I've realized the potential that this little car has. After reading Mike's article dozens of times it makes me appreciative of what I have and the true potential behind it. I hope someday I can modify my engine in the same way you guys have, to show people locally what my little car has.

I think right now my ambitions for the car are much larger than my wallet. Being a student with a huge student loan and a part time job I'm unable to do any of these things. I'm lucky enough to put gas in the car. I'm not saying this to offend anyone, but it amazes me how so many people, not necessarily on the forum, can afford to modify his/her car so much whether it is a Nissan, Honda, etc. when a lot of you are only 18 or younger. Perhaps living in the US has more advantages than just lower prices. Then again, maybe your not blessed with 4 other siblings and parents that don't share the same enthusiasm for the car as me.

As for the Turbo on a GA16DE, which was designed by Nissan for fuel efficiency, I agree with what 1997 GA16DE said "I like the fact that it's unique." Anything that can set us apart from all the other Import or Domestic's is cool. I should have never beat down the Turbo idea or made it sound like I was. For me, it's not the right solution. Starting from a stock base model B13 has a long way to go. I guess for the rest of you that have your GA16DE modded as far as it will go, the Turbo is the next plateau for more power, fun and a new challenge. I wish you luck and look forward to many articles about your experience. Perhaps when I get my chance I'll be able to get a turbo second hand or prices will drop or better yet, the US will take over Canada and we will adopt the US currency.

I will say, any time that I think about a SR20 swap whether it's a DE or DET I read this article to knock some common sense back into me. Although this road less travelled is more appealing the turbo route seems more logical, less involved and the icing on the cake of a well design motor and car.

Sorry for my rambling, just wanted to set things straight.
Greg

1 - 20 of 35 Posts