Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last 2 pics

I did this all myself, i went to autozone and bought that mirage paint. The paint that changes colours. It was 19.99 for 3 cans.. not bad, im impressed.!.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Is that a metal or platic valve cover? It looks pretty slick from what I can see.

·
what?
2,704 Posts
Hey,
Tell us (me) how you did it. Such as:

remove cover (how)
wash clean with detergent (brand?)
Use primer coat (how)
Use 'color shift coat' (how)
use final coat (how)
replace
etc.

Seth

P.S. That color shift package works on plastic too right? (For us plastic valve cover people). I was thinking of doing this, but I was concerned about the heat under the hood.

·
what?
2,704 Posts
Hey,
I did have a metal valve cover. Unfortunately it is a multipiece cover and some of the oil guides inside are made of plastic. So any heat treated coating will melt these guides. So if I am going to paint it anyway, why bother with metal. Plastic I can primer and then the effect is much the same, although smoother than the 'rough' metal.

Seth

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would go with the metal...

I sanded mine, then primed it , base coated it, then sprayed on the mid coat, then the top coat, it lasts, metal is better..

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You have a metal valve cover!! ...
I saw it on ur website.. anywho all u gotta do, is sand it, prime it and then coat it, dont forget the clearcoat.. :-D

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
anyways...

I am going to do the whole car... nah j/k even tho it would looks sweet!.

I am going to redo my car white, with everthing on the outside that is black is soon to be white.. like the car is white, but the mirror's/grill/trim around windows is black, so it dosent blend in.. ill post pics soon

·
what?
2,704 Posts
Hey,
I was just thinking, what stock engine parts can be painted? Theres the throttle body exterior (if you are SUPER careful), the stock airbox, the stock heat shield on the exhaust, the battery tray, the valve cover....what else?

Seth

P.S. Basically I picked up one of those 'anodized imitators' and I was curious about testing it on things. It only cost like $3 or something and I can paint what I want. It would be hysterical if I painted my stock plastic airbox 'anodized blue' to make it look aluminum :)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sethwas said:
Hey,
I was just thinking, what stock engine parts can be painted? Theres the throttle body exterior (if you are SUPER careful), the stock airbox, the stock heat shield on the exhaust, the battery tray, the valve cover....what else?
The Oil cap, u can paint ur battery, i did, just tape the things sticking out.. the grill, the powersterrin resivor, the coolant resivior.. and alot of things, make sure you get high heat primer.. ;)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts