Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone.

First time post, so go easy please.

I am the proud owner of a 94 sentra, with 261,000 miles on it. I do my own tuneups on it. Everything is stock, except for a K&N air filter.

I have had a problem when cruising around the speed of 65, that the check engine light comes on. It goes off if I slow down, or speed up. I have checked and double-checked all the vaccum hoses and replaced the plugs, wires, rotor and cap and also the PCValve. I have gotten a new gas cap for it as well. The light doesn't bother me at all, especially since the car drives no problems, through out the speed range. Now the problem is that it has started to remain on all the time.

I have to take the car for a smog test, and thats why I need to get the light turned off. The car's gas milage has remained unchanged.

Shakil.

P.S. I have reset the light by disconnecting the neg. terminal and resetting the system, but it returns once I am cruising. I was told it is most likely the o2 sensor (by a guy at autozone), but would like a word from the experts here as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
yeah, I'm thinking it might be the o2 sensor. Has it ever been changed, with that many miles its probably about time for a change. autozone does diagnostic checks 4 free i think, see if the guy will hook you up. if it is the o2 then get an NTK one I think their the best. Welcome to the board!!:D :D

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply.

I did take it to autozone, but they don't have the machine that can hook up to my car. I am going to try using the haynes manual, to perform some tests before I do the changeover. If anyone can come up with something else, please send me a post. Thanks.

Shakil.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply.

I did take it to autozone, but they don't have the machine that can hook up to my car. I am going to try using the haynes manual, to perform some tests before I do the changeover. If anyone can come up with something else, please send me a post. Thanks.

Shakil.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,
Did you read the code off the ECU? I ask because my light came on with no apparent problem, car runs fine. The code blinking on the ECU was for the EGR valve. It goes off if I run at high speed for any length of time. I am going to just ignore the light myself. You can find the codes in the Haynes book or on line at the Sentra Network.
Good Luck

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

I was just about to order the O2 sensor, and then I followed the instructions in the haynes and located the ECU. The code I read off was for 3 long and 2 short blinks, meaning the EGR valve was stuck or not working. I located the valve, and (Boy do I feel dumb writing this...:), one of the vaccum hose going to the EGR valve was totally weathered, it practically had a hole in it, and started breaking up in my hand. I pulled the whole section out, replaced it with a new piece of similar length hose, and reset the hose. I have since driven the car for about 150 miles without a blink from the check light.

Thought I would post my solution here. Thanks.

Shakil.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Way to go!!! I guess I'd better start hunting for rotten vac hoses myself. Glad to know I am not alone.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Thanks for posting your problem and what was actually wrong. My mother's B13 is having the same problem. No apparent problems to the car or engine for our engine light to be on either. Only thing I can think of is that the auto transmission seems like it's on the way out. I'll do what you did anyway first.

Greg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts