Nissan Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can i read the error code on my 2001 sentra without any expensive tool? I know on any car we can read the code by watching the engine light flashing.
Also, how can I reset this "check engine" light when my problem is solved?
Thanks

Claude:rolleyes:

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not all cars do that flashing CEL thing. Several companies make adapters that interface to Palm Pilots for several hundred dollars.

·
Banned
162 Posts
To actually read and remove the CEL accuratly you'll need a Consult II. Those palm pilot models and other non Nissan specific tools won't read the 32 bit ECU.

Removing a CEL isn't always that hard, just depends on what caused it to come on in the first place. Most times you can just disconnect the battery for a few hours and let the ECU reset itself. What caused the CEL to appear??:cool:

·
West Coast Redneck
1,127 Posts
KSipmann said:
Most times you can just disconnect the battery for a few hours and let the ECU reset itself. What caused the CEL to appear??:cool:
I would probably be slightly concerned if the CEL came on, I personally do not think disconnecting the battery is the way to go, unless you know exactly what caused the problem. If you have a friend at a Nissan Dealer, they will read your ECU at no charge. (I know that, because it is a very simple task, that a service advisor can just plug it in, read the ECU, and give you a mini-printout of exactly what the ECU recorded, so if the problem occurrs again, you have a record, and take it in so they know exactly where to look. That's just my two cents.

-Sam

·
Banned
162 Posts
Stealthb14 your right.

Well..I guess it really depends on what car your driving and why the CEL is coming on. I know that a buddy of mine who drives a 96' SE-R has a CEL for a faulty speed sensor. It comes on ever so often, doesn't harm anything but causes a code to fly. Something that minor you can just unplug the battery for until you fix it. But if its something like a bad crank angle sensor on a QG18 or QR25 then yea you need to go to a dealer to have them run a diagnostic check with a Consult II.

Guess this really depends on what engine he's got and whats making the CEL to appear in the first place. :cool:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
C.E.L.

Don't you know you aren't supposed to mod your car while it's under warranty.

I almost got that out without laughing.

-Steven C.

·
West Coast Redneck
1,127 Posts
Re: C.E.L.

Steven C. said:
Don't you know you aren't supposed to mod your car while it's under warranty.
Key Words: "...aren't supposed to..." they do it anyways. I don't think they really care :p

·
Registered
91 Posts
get a code puller from your local auto parts store and hook it up and write down the codes it tells you and then ask the dealer what they mean good place to start.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.