Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
Let me start by saying cool forum! I'm trying to find out if anyone else has had this problem, or may know resolve it. I installed the Hot Shot header in my car without relocating the second O2 sensor, so naturally, just the the instructions say, the check engine light came on. Three weeks later, I relocated the sensor to behind the second catalytic converter, I disconnected both the positive and negative battery cables for about an hour and a half. When I reconnected everything, the check engine light is still on. I don't know if this is something I have to take to the dealership, which I'm trying to avoid so they don't void my warranty, or if there's a reset somewhere for it. Any help would be greatful:)
Thanks- pituala

·
Registered
106 Posts
Wait about a week before you take any action on the CEL. If it is still not out one week later take it to an autozone. I have heardthey they have the ability to clear the error codes off of your ECU (They might do it for free).

Also you did put the O20 Sensor behind the second cat right (Just checking).

The dealership should be used as an absolute last resort. If the orange light annoys you put some electrical tape over it (Seriously), that way you won't have to stare at it.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll try that. It's only been 2 days. I'll give it some more time. One of my friends said to disconnect the ECU overnight. Not sure what that would do. He said that when the CEL is on, the computer is running the car in "Safe Mode", and that you don't make full power. The car still feels faster that before.

Maybe you know about this also. Do you know anything about grounding out, or relocating a knock sensor? I've seen written here that it seems to make some power. This is the first I've heard of that.

·
Registered
106 Posts
pituala said:
Thanks. I'll try that. It's only been 2 days. I'll give it some more time. One of my friends said to disconnect the ECU overnight. Not sure what that would do. He said that when the CEL is on, the computer is running the car in "Safe Mode", and that you don't make full power. The car still feels faster that before.

Maybe you know about this also. Do you know anything about grounding out, or relocating a knock sensor? I've seen written here that it seems to make some power. This is the first I've heard of that.
To my knowledge throwing a CEL because of an O2 Sensor will not put you car into safe mode.

As for the knock sensor, it has been done and I think JWT is comming out with a kit to do it. I would wait to do so until you get the CEl issue taken care of. I am not that knowlegeable on grounding the knock sensor, but there are planty of posts about it on www.b15sentra.net, make a search and you should comeup with quite a few posts.

·
S12 Fanatic
211 Posts
Just so you know, I was at Autozone and asked about their "free computer diagnostic". They said they could only do domestic cars, and only relatively new ones. I assume they can do OBD II and later.

·
Registered
106 Posts
tsi200sx said:
Just so you know, I was at Autozone and asked about their "free computer diagnostic". They said they could only do domestic cars, and only relatively new ones. I assume they can do OBD II and later.
I know atlest one person over on B15Sentra who has used Autozone to clear a code, so he should be ok. hanks for the info.

·
Registered
84 Posts
pituala said:

As far as the CEL light goes, It won't slow your car down. If you car was running in Limp Mode/Safe Mode you would definately know. My MAF went twice makin me run the car in safe mode. It sux, you can't go above 2500rpms in each gear and it takes a couple time to start as well. I had to drive that for a month b/c the first time it went was a week after I bought the car back last Nov right when the car came out and they couldn't get the part for a while.

·
Registered
73 Posts
CEL

OBDII diagnostic connectors on all cars 1996 and newer are identical by design mandated by federal law. AutoZone is full of Sh*t! If they have a generic scan tool to check codes it has to have the capability to reset them (import or domestic) and you should be all set. Go in, play dumb and say "I disconnected it by accident, but hooked it back up after." Don't pop the hood or anthing, just thanks them and be on your way with the CEL off. Good luck...

·
Registered
41 Posts
the check engine light is not gonna come off at all, unless you reset the computer...and the only way to do that is by pluging into the nissan's computer...i had the light come on, i did the exact same thing also, and the computer froze the check engine soon light on there, nissan will take it off, but once they see that it was you that made the light go on, they will charge you 75$, thats what they did to me, i was raped i tell you, RAPED! they bent me over and rammed me in the ass.....which sux...:D

·
Registered
41 Posts
well like i said, they bent me over and rammed a 12 inch monkey wrench in my virgin ass....lol, it dont matter, 75$...its just money, who needs it....?! actually....i need some money right now...dammit! raped i tell you, RAPED! the thing that sux is, they said that since i was the one that caused it, it cant be covered under the warranty, unless its a "manufaturers" problem and it wasnt....!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
xluv2eatx said:
well like i said, they bent me over and rammed a 12 inch monkey wrench in my virgin ass....lol, it dont matter, 75$...its just money, who needs it....?! actually....i need some money right now...dammit! raped i tell you, RAPED! the thing that sux is, they said that since i was the one that caused it, it cant be covered under the warranty, unless its a "manufaturers" problem and it wasnt....!
Well....spend $3500 on Consult-II and do it yourself :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Easier this way

Just remove the positice and the negative to reset the ecu. You have to let it sit overnight. It happened to me when I installed my CAI. Let it sit overnight about 12 to 15 hours will do it. After that my cel or sesl never came back up again.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i went to auto zone about a month or so ago and i had the same problem. i relocated the o2 sensor and went to auto zone they cleared the comp and the light has never came on. oh and AUTO ZONE DOES NOT CHARGE YOU TO CHECK AND CLEAR THE ECU.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Check engin light, ECM replacement..

I had the exact same problem with my SPEC and it happened at 18K. My engine light continued to come on. I took it back to the dealer, the computer said it was an 02 sensor so they replaced that and reset the ECM. It happened again, I took it back, they replaced another 02 sensor and reset the ECM again. It happened again, this time they finally found out that it was the “resetting” of the ECM or the 02 sensors, it was a bad ECM. They overnighted the ECM, put a new one in… and the problem is fixed :loser:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts