Nissan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres the deal, my check engine light came on about a month after owning my car ( traded a gas guzzler for a 96' 200sx 106,000 miles ) the car was slightly shuttering when accelerating so i thought hmmm.... spark plugs so i replaced them, light went off. Now my car is doing it agian i replaced the plugs again just think it worked once maybe itll work again, it didnt so i went and got my computer checked and it said pressure below threshold the mechanic said it something in the exhaust. O2 sensor is what im thinking. the car is also giving off a little smell kinda like a clutch when climbing rpms, once im stable its all good. any ideas id really appreciate it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
since yours is a '96, you have OBDII, so a parts store like autozone will likely check the code for free...im not sure where you got that "pressure below threshold" reading, but i'm looking at my stuff, and i cant find a code like that. what you can do yourself is use the ecu to find out the trouble code. all you ahve to do is remove the cover over the ecu, then find the screw in the back of it. you can manage to turn it w/o removing the cover, but the first time you look at it, it helps to see what you are doing. likely there will be a clear sticker over the screw, which need to be out of the way, just peel it back. now,
1.)turn ignition ON, engine not started
2.)turn the screw fully clockwise, as though you were looking it dead-on
3.)wait 2 sec or more
4.)turn fully counter-clockwise
5.)watch the check engine light, it will flash a series of long, then short flashes.
record these flashes as such:
5 long flashes, 5 short flashes, 0505
10 long, 2 short, 1002
and so on, usuing two digits for both the short and long flashes
once you know hte code, reply to this and i can look it up, or you can try and contact an auto shop, im sure they can look it up
if it is an o2 sensor, it will be one of these codes:
0303 front sensor
0409-0503 front sensor
0510-0512 rear sensor
0707 rear sensor

hope this helps! should only take a few minutes to check.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, thanks ill try this and get back to you but gotta work next few days so ill do as soon as possible!

·
Registered
49 Posts
depends on year of your car, '95 was only OBDI. OBDII was introduced in '96.
they are similar, but the codes are numbered different. on the '95, they dont use 2 digits for each number of flashes, so 3 long+3 short becomes code 33 instead of 0303.

egr codes for '95:
32, egr control valve does not opperate.
on '96+, this is code 0302

95' code 36, egrc-bpt valve problem (not entirely sure what this is, but i think it might apply)
on '96+, 0306

'95 code 105 (10 long, 5 short), egrc soleniod
'96+, 1005

following code only applys to 96+:
0514, erg system, diagnosed by dealer

that's all folks!

B

·
0 Posts
My check engine light was on after i threw in my Hotshots CAI so i was asking my friends on what to do so they told me to reset the ECU by unpluging the negative wire to the battery over night then in the morning plug it back on and let it run for awhile and my problem was solved.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts