Nissan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 200sx last night, it's a 1996 5spd w/ 140k. Anyways I guess the speedometer cable is loose, so sometimes it wont show how fast your going, but i hit it cpl times and it started to work. Just shortly after it died first time, my check engine light came on. I've got it checked at AutoZone, and the code is PO 500? Anyone know what it means? Thx

·
Registered
121 Posts
When I went there they told me what the code meant for my car the people there should be able to tell you

·
nissan??? whats that
280 Posts
i would begin by tightening the throttle cable if that doesnt help then i would check your VSS(vehicle speed sensor) im not sure what the code 500 =? but many problems w/ the spedo cutting in and out are VSS probelms

BTW its located below and to the left of the master cylinder near the starter nostrodomas has pics of where it is located and if i can find them ill post them

·
Mofo
2,225 Posts
You do not have a spedo cable in your car. Its a speed sensor and its located on the top of the tranny near drivers side firewall.
You can click here, for instructions on how to manually pull and define the error codes yourself.
Im thinking that your speed sensor is bad causing your spedo not to work. You can A) go into the dealership and order one, or B) look around at your local junk yards to find one. Now this is just a guess, dont hold me to it.......lol
Check the codes and come back here and tell us what you find.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts