Nissan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the cause of the CEL on (rear O2 sensor - from my other thread).

If I fix the O2 sensor problem on my own (either myself or my local mechanic), will the light turn off on it's own?

Or will I have to reset the ECU?
Or do I have to bring it in to Nissan?

TIA :D

·
Registered
553 Posts
You can do it yourself. I actually just replaced my rear O2 sensor myself and reset the light today. Underneath your radio and all that is where your ECU is. Your will need a socket wrench with an extension, and a 10mm socket. I believe it was 10 atleast. Then you will also need a flathead screwdriver. What you will do is take the ECU out of it place so that you can see the back part of it. It is held down by those two bolts in the front of it. If you like you can use a philips screwdriver to take off that big plastic cover, but that isn't necessary. When you are able see the back you will need to turn the key to the ON position, but without the engine running. Take the flat head and turn the screw on the back of the ECU fully clockwise and leave it there for two seconds. Then turn it back fully counter-clockwise. It will flash the code. It read 7 long, 7 quick, which is the rear O2 sensor or circuit. I simply did the a couple more times, since it kept reading the code. On the third time it reset, and my light hasn't come back on. Hope this helps!

P.S. This same procedure can be found in a Chilton/Haynes manual you can get from your local O'Reilly Auto Parts or Autozone. It shouldn't cost you more than $30 or so. Also, Autozone can do this for you for you with their scan tool for free.

G

·
0 Posts
I had my CEL on for two weeks and it went off by itself after this time. I think that once the reason of the error is gone the ecu will shut the light off but the error remain in the memory. Ohh - the reason was too much water in the engine bay - probably one of te sensors reported short circut. One it was dry the light went off.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Glad I could help.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
How hard is it to change the O2 sensor? My mother hit a bump the other day, and the CEL came on. I have a strong feeling its the O2 sensor, cuz it was installed at a weird angle. If I can replace it myself, I dont want to go pay an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NismoXR said:
not too hard, just need a O2 sensor socket and a socket ranch and presto.
What about the wiring?
Just splice and solder?

Ugh... all this work.
Can I just unplug the battery overnight and hope that it'll reset itself?
... AFTER I fix the O2 sensor of course :p

·
Registered
500 Posts
My CE light came on one day and threw 37 codes at me when I checked it (I spent nearly an hour counting them all three times). I have no idea what code threw the light. It threw just about every single code in the list. I figured this was maybe because when I pulled the ECU out from the under the radio it somehow became disconnected completely from the wiring harness that attaches to the front (I touched it and the whole car died, and came back on) and it just eratically threw every code in the book. If this is so, how do I know what code made the CE light come on in the first place, and since I reset it, will it ever turn back on so I can see what's actually wrong?

·
Registered
390 Posts
psteng19 said:
What about the wiring?
Just splice and solder?
well the O2 sensor should come with the wire unless u ask for the O2 sensor without it which isnt a good idea. the socket is special so that u can remove it without doing any harm to the wire. do a search on how to remove a O2 sensor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
CEL

When i purchased my 200sx in August, the owner told me the CEL light had been going on for 2 years, but caused no problems. Recently i had to have the clutch replaced and after this the CEL had gone out. But one week later, the stupid thing came on again. Could it be caused by the clutch itself? I tried writing a code down, but nothing seems to be consistant. I was just wondering because the Nissan dealership wants me to pay $60+ to find out.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Generally your ECU comes on when it is an emissions related problem. i.e. the o2 sensors. I would take it up to a local autozone or O'reillys and have them read the code. Or even an local stealership.

·
3 bar MAP
1,381 Posts
tranny related codes

my 97 200 5spd on occasion throws the 1013 code (10 long flashes, 3 short flashes) or park nuetral/back up light switch. the back up lights work fine so i havent even checked the switch. i just clear the codes. my advice is to run the self diagnostic, figure out the codes, diagnose/repair the problem, and reset the ecu.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts