Nissan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've been looking online for a remanufactured AC compressor and new clutch for a 97 sentra. Anyone have any suggestions? I may also need a replacement cruise control, not sure yet.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Pathfinder SL
4,277 Posts
I have purchased used parts from a local wrecker (with their return policy not much risk.)
Never had a problem so far, 3 different cars. ( all R-12 )
I checked the Oil level, looked up the new Oil charge, re-filled with new Oil then put on Car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply but I want something remanufactured. So far I've found a couple in the 250 dollar range. I'd rather spend that than 80-100 at salvage for peace of mind. Anyone else??

·
Registered
313 Posts
This is a good question I might need one myself and I believe that Ian is correct hit the bone yard it will be the cheapest option. In the mean time if you find asource please let me know because I have been searching also with zero luck. My cheap little car is becomming more expensive every day. Lol!!

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
One problem with these cars is everything lasts for a long time but the things that do fail seem to fail on all of them !!!! (sun visors, front seal, switches)
The A/C is not one of these. If you refill the Oil, the reason all three of mine failed in the first place, I expect it will run for a long time.
The A/C compressors I have replaced from the bone yards lasted out the cars !!!
ie a Toyota, Audi and Subaru.
At the crazy prices asked for rebuilt's or "new" I cant justify spending that amount especially when I am doing the work myself on such an old car.
just my 2c......

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback, but I'm not buying a junkyard part for 75-100 when I can buy remanufactured for 210. I don't like working on vehicles so when I put a part in it, I pay the extra to avoid doing it again. I realize some people have different views, but let's stay on topic. CHEAPEST 97 SENTRA PARTS SUPPLIERS?? WHERE ARE THEY??

·
Registered
313 Posts
Hey Scott I hate to clue you in Bud but I have seen reman stuff that is absolutely atrocious!! Just junk! I have been wrenching for a very long time and if the Japanese stuff is as good as the American stuff (And we know it's more than likely better) then if you find a low mile wreck then you would be much better served to stretch and fetch and install! I have been doing this sort of thing for every with great result's I am with ian on this one all the way!!! Let Us know how you make out though. Now as long as everything is still sealed you can't go wrong IMHO. Good luck.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up putting a new relay in and charging it up with some of the stop leak 134 and it seems to be working. When I first put the freon in it read really high on the low side and was still blowing hot. I guess the compressor freed up after some driving. Seems to be working fine now. Matter of fact, it's cooler than my gf's brand new Honda fit. Starter is about to go, seized the other day. Gave it a good rap and it's worked since, but I know I'm living on borrowe time with it. They've got a Nissan starter for 89 on ebay. I think I'm going to get it. I know I can get them cheaper but this is a new nissan, I think I'll splurge since the compressor's holding up.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Pleased you got your A/C going.
When my starter went bad and responded well to a good whack the brushed had worn down.
Replaced the brushes and all OK.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts