Nissan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased this CAI for my 04 sentra SE-R (non spec) because it seemed like the best choice of all the cheap ones on eBay since it has a Nismo filter....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7951628645

Is that really a NISMO filter? I notice honda CAI's sold by the same guy have a picture of the exact same filter with a different logo on the top.

Also, I know there's probably a reason for it being so cheap, so any suggestions on installing it to ensure it can't damage anything? What are possibilities of things that could go wrong with this one VS a $300 one from Nismo/others?

Thanks

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
no, it's not a real nismo filter. Nismo intakes don't even use Nismo filters as Nismo doesn't make filters.

send it back and get a refund!!! they are not specifically made for that engine and imo are dangerous to use. Many people have blown MAFs using cheap intakes like that.

horsepower costs money.

·
Registered
303 Posts
If you don't want to spend a lot of money on a K&N drop in. You can also get a air hog, or cool blue on too. They flow much better then the thick paper stock filter and are very afordable.

Most important, they do make a difference. For the cost of a good CAI system, I'd rather just get a in box filter and then save the rest of the cash for real gain mod. The only people who agree with me are older tunners, everyone else says get a CAI for real gains. Also, you have to watch out for CAIs with bends before the MAF. They can change air flow and screw up the air counted and then screw up the air fuel ratio and cause a loss in HP.

On Sports Car Revolution on Speed TV, they got a better dyno using a flat filter over a round one on the RSX-S project. They had a different air box as well that gave a ram air effect at higher speeds. It's all about flow and surface area. Also, having a open filter sucks in hot air cauing a loss in HP. Many cheap so called CAIs are nothing more then cheap pipping and a round filter. Hopefully a cotton/ oiled filter, but when you buy cheap, you never know. You can easily buy a fake cheap CAI with a colored paper filter at Pep Boys too. You get what you pay for and since you don't want to spend money on a real intake, I suggest you just get a K&N, air hog, cool blue, stock replacement. You will get maybe 2-3HP gain and a improvment in fuel economy. If you shop around, you can get them for $40. It is worth it for the improvment in fuel economy alone. Also, if you don't plan on doing lots of mods, I wouldn't even bother with a CAI. The HP gain is not worth the cash. They can cost as much as a car payment and they give very little if any gain over a good in box replacement.

·
Registered
27 Posts
yea dude, dont go cheap, especially when the MAF is involved.

·
Registered
147 Posts
my ebay intake works just fine...same with my friend who even customized his ebay intake, and i also have another friend with ebay intake and they all work fine....just with ebay intaks there is no specific company that guarantees them that they will not cause any problems...AEM and injen do that....AEM's polished intake may be a little more shiny....but all in all you make the decision, read around and get other views.....but me including my friends is 3 out of 3 with successfull ebay intakes!

·
8,328 Posts
uh huh, but that is coming from a guy who has enough neon on his car to light up the strip at las vegas.

You get what you pay for. You pay jack, you get crap.

Rseh, when you start having problems with your MAF, you'll know why we say avoid cheap intakes.

·
8,328 Posts
a poorly made CAI such as the ebay units offer no way to brace the CAI such as the AEM, nismo, (i think injen and hotshot do the same)...and on a good nasty bounce, the MAF will go. It's happened before, it'll happen again. Not a matter of if, but WHEN.

·
Banned
4,308 Posts
i just got a place racing CAI and it didnt come with any type of brace what so ever. so im going to take a feild trip to home depot (i have more stuff on my car from HD than any where lol) what i will use is a common shelf "L" bracket some duct tape and a hose clamp.
secrue the l bracket to the sheet metal with screws and make it so the L part butts up nice and close to the CAI pipe, wrap some duct tape around the pipe by the bracket (im not sure about the tape part yet....i have yet to refine my blue prints) finish it off by putting the hose clam around the pipe and tighten it down around the L bracket as well. now since your l bracket is secured to the sheet metal and the pipe is tight to the bracket you should have no rattles/bumps :thumbup:
now it is up to you if you want quality (a trusted name brand) or an ebay intake that will most likly not fit at all! i have to mod my PL intake and that was suppost to fit lol just think what the ebay one will be like.
edit: chimike, after looking at the pics for alittle it looks as though there may be a barcket of some type right above the air temp sensor. could that be one?
another edit: ...oh damn he got me V :thumbup:

·
t3h r0XX0r!!
679 Posts
so.... ASSuming this is a photo of the actual part, you wouldn't call that little tab sticking out support?

http://www.x3racing.com/CAI/TS-CAI-NS00-SE.jpg

looks about the same as the tab sticking out of an AEM intake to me.

not to be critical, chim, but you could have asked joe n00b if it had the mounting tab BEFORE condemning it/him...

·
Registered
147 Posts
i laugh at your insults towards ebay intakes....mine came with a brace to bolt it to the fender so it doesnt 'wobble' like a mofo.....hehe...but i did have problems with my MAF, but not because it was a cheap intake....it was installation error, due to the filter wasnt on good enough and it kept slipping off the pipe and guess dirt flew in there.....now filter is on veryveryveryvery tight.....you dont always get what you pay for....if you search good enough and have some recommendations from your closest friends, then why not try to save a few(hundred) bucks?

·
Registered
147 Posts
another thing i would be unsatisfied with an AEM or injen intake...why? because i wasted like 250+ $ on something that is the same as an ebay intake (just not name branded)....society will do everything to save money....its like cereal....theres froot loops and then there is grocery store 'fruit rings', they have different names and one is name brand and one is not, but they taste exactly the same....:)

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
Look at how well a HotShot unit is designed and look at a cheaper unit. The HotShot has excellent mounting harware, superp welds, T304 stainless (real 304), and a good filter. Higher end companies do a shitload of research on the exact specs of their units. The ebay units are generally not well researched and the filters are generally crap. Look how ebay brand car mods hold up in the long run. I know people who have gotten them and the quality is so poor that it is amusing. The MAF is fragile. Good filter choice is a must (hell, crappy ones with too much oil in them can destroy an MAF to what I understand). Crappy metal will tarnish and rust.

CAIs are not ceral. You almost always get what you pay for. If a company cant even list the model of the cars properly, I highly doubt they are researched and designed very well.

·
Not Anymore.
5,014 Posts
Lazarus_023 said:
so.... ASSuming this is a photo of the actual part, you wouldn't call that little tab sticking out support?

http://www.x3racing.com/CAI/TS-CAI-NS00-SE.jpg

looks about the same as the tab sticking out of an AEM intake to me.

not to be critical, chim, but you could have asked joe n00b if it had the mounting tab BEFORE condemning it/him...
Notice how that says 00-04 SE. He bought an intake that was not even designed for the QR engine.

·
NPM Lead Editor/Webmaster
4,571 Posts
caveman said:
They can cost as much as a car payment and they give very little if any gain over a good in box replacement.
You really need to do better research... most of that post is either based on old data, crappy CAI's not tuned for specific applications or just he said she said data...

The only none CAI intake that gets even close is a JWT pop charger.. no drop in filter will give you the same results. The air box and oem accordian type hose/pipe is extremly restrictive... Built for noise reduction, not performance.

Sports Car Revolution on Speed TV - I'm sure the 10 ads for "Air Hogs" during the show has nothing to do with them praising them ;)

The problem we ebay intakes are that most are generic... They are not tuned for a specific car... like those of AEM, Hotshot, or others.. Each motor responds differently to pipe diameter size, length of each pipe..etc.. If you want to save money then okay that's cool... Just don't try to pass off the Bologna sandwich as Steak.. ;)

Here is a dyno chart for a 3.5 Altima before and after an AEM CAI was installed...

We performed 3 runs and the Altima’s best effort made 8.5 peak hp over stock and 7 peak lb-ft of torque. Taking a closer at the dyno chart shows that as the car approaches 6,000 RPM the AEM CAI made 13hp over stock! From 2-5K RPM the hp gains were approximately 5 hp and 10 lb-ft of torque.

Show me a drop in filter that will do that..

or for the QR: http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/may04/specv/

·
Registered
303 Posts
Okay, so your comparing a 3.6l engine to what a 2.5 engine will give?!?!?! Even with that pretty dyno, I don't belive for a second that it gave that much gain. Any real tunner would laugh in your face.

Also, Sports car Revolution never had any air hog comoercials, much less 10 of them so now you are just making shit up or tring to put words in my mouth.

Read up on a mustang forum and talk real HP gains from bolt ons. You will never gain any real power untill you make the engine pump more air. You can make your car go faster with basic bolt ons with the spec v because it is a light car, so any gain will be felt, but short of doing head and cam work, you can't really change much. The mustang guys know that when you read 10+HP from a CAI kit, it is a joke. It's ricer HP math. If you belive that a CAI can give 10-12HP, well, maybe I need to start making ebay CAIs cause everyone thinks they are the answer to HP from the HP gods. I can find race shops that claim up to 10+HP too, but it doesn't make it so. RPM outlet is the biggest joke to fake HP gains. Read them for a good laugh.

This is the absolute last post I am going to give on CAIs. It is silly to think that a different intake kit is going to make all the difference in the world. I know people who have bought them so something looked cool under the hood too.

This will probably get locked or deleted, but here it goes. I saw a spec v in town with a exhuast on it. I wanted to know how much faster it would be over my car. I was able to line up to him and when the light went green, we went at it. He was a tad faster on top end, but lost everything he gained on the bottom of 2nd. I cut if off around 50MPH and our cars were even. So much for that costly exhaust setup.

I've never paid for a dyno. When I want to know if my changes have made real improvments, I go to the track. Test and tune is well under 10 bucks. How much is that dyno? Who cares what your car can do standing still. Besides, cars act differenty when they are moving and a different intake can really change things.

I know that street racing stories are not allowed and I support that 100%. I calmed way the hell down after I got married and got old n such, but you can never really know what your car can do untill you take on other cars in the same class and other drivers. There are such things as private roads and roads with no cars and small town airports with long runways. It is easy to take it off the street if you live too far from a track and you want to play. Hell, write to the local governor and tell them you are interested in getting racing off the street. See if they can find you a place to play. Dyno's can give you a good ideal of where you are, but they are expensive and people always argue over how the dyno was set up. If you go to a good drag strip with a full 1/4, no one can really call BS on your printed times. If you want to be honest with yourself and your mods, try and make sure the temps and humitity are in the same range during your runs. Also, first place drag runs are fun too. If you beat a faster car on camera, you got that too.

·
4,571 Posts
caveman said:
Even with that pretty dyno, I don't belive for a second that it gave that much gain. Any real tunner would laugh in your face.
So you're questioning the testing methods? We have tested several CAI's and Pop chargers on various Nissan motors and have shown decent gains on all occasions...

Real Tuner? hahaha good one...

Try searching through the past issues of NPM or read some of the columns, look through all the dyno's yourself...

Fact is fact... doesn't matter if you WANT to believe it or not

Last I checked this was a Nissan Forum... not a Mustang forum.. I'll ignore that fact that this implies that only Mustang drivers are real tuners.

·
4,571 Posts
caveman said:
I've never paid for a dyno. When I want to know if my changes have made real improvments, I go to the track. Test and tune is well under 10 bucks. How much is that dyno? Who cares what your car can do standing still. Besides, cars act differenty when they are moving and a different intake can really change things.
Well that pretty much explains it... butt dyno procedure

A "Real Tuner" would understand the benefits of dyno testing and tuning. You lost all credibility with that statement as far as I'm concerned.

Drag racing to test power...haha yea REAL TUNERS do that...lol

Actually you are right about one thing.. A CAI will actually make more power in real conditions or on the track. for obvious reasons.

Please don't come to Nissan Forums and use speculation and opinion as fact. If you have the facts then lets see them. We have dyno'd many many setups over the years and have the facts and data to back it up... Where is your data?

1 - 20 of 110 Posts