Nissan Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Question. I'm experiencing similar issues on my 2000 Nissan Pathfinder LE. Last night my O/D and ABS warning lights began to flicker, my radio started to fade in and out, and it seemed like I lost momentum for a moment. These symptoms only occurred for about 20 seconds. When I arrived home, about ten minutes later, and shut off my engine, sparks flew up from under my hood on the side where my battery sits. There were no unusual smells or smoke or anything out of the ordinary.... except for the sparks and those mentioned above.

What in the world is going on with my car?
Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
10,669 Posts
If you are seeing sparks, the first thing I would be checking is for something shorting near the battery (i.e. the positive cable against the hood) or looses battery cables. If those are okay, I would check the charging system and make sure it's not overcharging.

·
Registered
44 Posts
And then you have the problem my alternator is having.....overcharging. I noticed the cruise control light on the dash started pulsating going down the highway the other day, and checked it out when I got home. At idle with nothing turned on, it was at 14.3 volts. Ok, that's in the normal range so no problem there. Then when I revved the engine up around 2.5 - 3K RPMs, it jumped over 16v. Yikes! Not good at all. If I turn on the heater blower motor to either setting 3 or 4, the voltage output stays in the normal range. There is only one thing that I know of that causes that: Faulty voltage regulator, that is of course built into the alternator. At 209K miles I would say that the alternator served this car well, but it's time to retire it. I was surprised that the MIL did not come on. Anyway, I wanted to add that info to this thread in case anyone else has had that experience.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.