Nissan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my 1997 quest is giving me a headache I got up to go somewhere and tried to start my van and nothing no lights on dashboard nothing so I put new cables new battery tested altinator it's good I can jump start it but it stalls out when I'm driving a d I was reading on line it said with the problems Im having sounds like an ignition relay then another site said starter I have no idea do you have any thoughts or ideas I would really appreciate it

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,767 Posts
Well, it's likely not the starter since you can start it by jump starting. There's not enough information about the problem to be able to give you an answer. For example, when the vehicle stalls out, does it restart on its own easily or does it need to be jumped? Was the alternator tested off the vehicle...or, was the charging system tested with the alternator in the vehicle, which should result in a voltage reading from 13.2 volts to 15.5 volts, at idle and also at 3000 RPM, both with and without "loads" (i.e. headlamps on, heater on, etc.). Despite all the new parts, does the vehicle still need to be jumped after sitting overnight? What you need to do is determine is if the problems are a result of a charging system issue or excessive parasitic draw on the battery when parked and not running...or, is it an engine issue, possibly a weak fuel pump or a bad distributor? We need to figure out what is happening so we can figure out why it's happening?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When it stalls it has to be jumped again the altinator was tested on my van I was reading on line about my problem and it said it was ignition relay but I don't know where to o find that on my van to check

·
NF Mod/Nissan Master Tech
2006 Pathfinder LE, 2003 Frontier SVE
9,767 Posts
If you have to jump start it after it stalls, it sounds like the charging system isn't sufficiently charging the battery...or, the new battery is bad. Make sure when you turn the key on (engine off) that the charging system warning light comes on. If it doesn't, as if the bulb burned out, for example, the charging system will not work properly. You might also consider getting an inexpensive voltage meter that plugs into your lighter socket; they usually run about $10 and you can get them in auto parts stores and the auto section at Walmart. That way you can monitor your voltage while you are driving and if it drops below 13 volts, you'll know you have a problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I unhook both battery cables at night the battery doesnt drain it will start it in the morning but if I leave it hooked up it drains over night

·
Sup Mod keeping the peace
6,762 Posts
If I unhook both battery cables at night the battery doesnt drain it will start it in the morning but if I leave it hooked up it drains over night
The vehicle most likely has a parasitic current draw somewhere in the electrical system. First thing to check is to make sure there are no lights or accessories left on with the keys removed and the doors/trunk fully closed. You need to have a multimeter with at least a 10 amp range setting. Assuming the charging system voltage is ok and the battery is good, the next thing to do would be to have a parasitic draw test performed; there should not be more than a 50 milliamp draw on the system with the ignition switch in the "OFF" position. Connect the multimeter to the negative side of the battery. If there is a higher draw, you need to do some testing to find out where the draw is coming from. Remove fuses one at a time until the draw goes away or falls into acceptable range.

Here's a very good video clip on performing this test:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts