Nissan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987 Nissan Sentra with a 1.6L engine.
The charging light is coming on dim, and gets a little brighter when I hit the brakes or really gets brighter when I turn on the Rear window defroster.

I have replaced the battery because the garage said it was no good and they tested the alternator and said it seemed okay.

From what I have read here so far it sounds to me like the alternator is starting to go. Am I right or can there possibly be other things to check, Voltage regulator?, Ground?, Bad connection?, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give,
Donatello :D

·
Registered
315 Posts
When my alternator went bad, autozone still tested it good(on 3 different occasions with 3 different peple testing it.) so....... Theyre tests arent always right.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Check the alternator belt tension. It could be to loose and slipping when the alternator is trying to charge the battery.

Lew

·
Powered By hopes & dreams
8,328 Posts
this isn't a GA16, this is an E16...it belongs in a different section.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Yeah first thing make sure the belt and the belt tension are good. If they are the alternator is likely on its way out. Mine was doing the exact same thing. A few weeks later it died entirely.

·
Ex-mod/nissan guru
2,136 Posts
x2 check for proper tension on the belt

than : check for corroded connection to it and the batterie.

if all comes ok, then the alternator is going. (you might want to change it fast if it is going since it will use up the batterie very quickly)

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
the biggest problem with testing is that everywhere you only bench test it.....it needs to be tested in the vehicle for the things that everyone has been listing such as low tension and bad connections. You could have a burned up wire somewhere or just to much corosion, or a seriously bad ground from the engine.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
old_sentra said:
well already have this trouble i'ts the end of ur alternator probably
check it withh a multimeter
umm....you can't test the alternator with a multimeter. you'll blow a fuse with a multimeter...unless you're going to measure volts which doesn't tell you enough.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey,

I just had this problem no more than 2 weeks ago. If you cant get a way to test for amperage even using volts and then turing on all the electrical things in the car (sterio, heat, rear defrost etc.) see if it drops, lower than i think about 12 or so and it might be your alternator. My battery light just came on dimly at first but begain to get brighter, so it was a slow death for my alternator, this sounds like yours. Like you said when i turned stuff on the light got brighter. Right now you may have enough amps to do basic things (spark some heat etc.) but as time goes on you will lose this. In my case i was running a 50 amp alternator and only producing 20 amps. (this was caused by 2 of the diodes being dead, it works in 3 120 degree cycles, so 2 of the cycles were not working properly this gave me 1/3 of my amp output.)
Get a electrial system check,its very cheap and will eliminate the other components of the electrical system.

This was all my experence anyways, and all is well now i got a new rebuilt alternator for 60 bucks canadian, so its not that bad of a hit to take.

Good luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts